Is it possible to write something like the tracker viewer.

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

docu-track99
User

Is it possible to write something like the tracker viewer.

Post by docu-track99 »

Hi, First let me say that your viewer is wonderful. However there are some things we would need it to do that it does not currently do that are custom to our application.

Is it possible to write a product with all the functionality of your viewer (most importantly the annotation functions) using your libraries? If the answer is yes, which libraries are needed to do this and will they work together?

The reason I ask is because I started investigating this and hit a bit of a wall. The viewer samples all seem to use the PXCV_DrawPageToDC function in the PXCV_ library. However annotations are handled in the XCPro35 Library by the PXCP_ annotation functions. Can these libraries work together, if so is there any information on this? Can you pass a pdf data structure between these libraries or must you always write to a file, obviously your viewer does not write to a file and reload everytime you add an annotation.

Would these be the libraries one would need to write something like your Tracker Viewer?

So bottom line question is.

Is it possible to write a product with all the functionality of your viewer (most importantly the annotation functions) using your libraries?

Please let me know before I spend a lot of time trying to do the impossible.

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

No - it is not possible to write the viewer using the Libraries I am afraid.

But I really dont thiink you need to ....

Annotations can be added using the Viewer SDK (ActiveX) using the Javascript functionality provided as well as in the XCPRO35.dll library.

The JS Engine allows you a great deal of flexibility and power - but it does of course require you have an understanding of JS to achieve this - but there are huge resources out there (just google) to help.

Also in the help file provided there is a link to the Adobe site to download the PDF Javascript API manual from Adobe :

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdf ... erence.pdf

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
docu-track99
User

Post by docu-track99 »

Thank you for your response and the information regarding javascript.

I was able to create annotations using javascript, quite easily actually, which is great. I only have one problem remaining. There are no events coming from the activex control which provide current mouse location in pdf page co-ordinates. This means I can't make annotations that behave similar to the built in markup tools. I have to just draw them at a arbitrary co-ordinate and then let the user move them. All the other annotations work the other way. Specify location and then they are drawn. This will create an inconsistency that my client base will have difficulty understanding.

Is there any way to get the current mouse pointer co-ordinates in pdf page space? If not is it possible to request features for addition in the future?
docu-track99
User

Post by docu-track99 »

Alternatively, custom stamps would also be great. Any hope for custom stamps?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Yes - custom stamps are coming :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
docu-track99
User

Post by docu-track99 »

Thanks, great news.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Pleasure :)

Best regards
Tracker Support