PowerBuilder and PDF-XChange Viewer SDK

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

greg.rusak@mustimuhw.solutions
User

PowerBuilder and PDF-XChange Viewer SDK

Post by greg.rusak@mustimuhw.solutions »

Hello,
We've been evaluating the PDF-XChange Editor SDK in our PowerBuilder application and have run into a few issues that have not been resolved and is keeping us from pulling the trigger to purchase the product.

We would now like to consider evaluating the Viewer SDK in our PowerBuilder application, but before getting too far into it, we would like to know even if the PDF-XChange Viewer SDK has the functionality we need.

For example, will the Viewer ActiveX SDK control allow us to loop through form fields on an AcroForm or an XFA form allowing us to set/get values and fill drop down list boxes?
Also, will the Viewer SDK allow us to dynamically load an image file and place it anywhere on a PDF Form?

If so, are there any Visual Basic (or ideally PowerBuilder) code examples available for the Viewer ActiveX control demonstrating how to get a handle to an XFA form, looping through all the form fields getting the form fields attributes and placing an image at the top left of the PDF form?

Thank you.

Greg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PowerBuilder and PDF-XChange Viewer SDK

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the post and interest in our SDK products.
Please allow me to start with the fact that the Viewer SDK has been discontinued for more than 5 years now, and will not get any new feature upgrades, and even critical bug fixes have only been fixed 2 or 3 times over the last 5 years, with no guarantee at all that there will be any future changes to this SDK product.
So ideally I would recommend you to post your concerns with the Editor SDK in the relevant forum, and my colleagues from the dev team will be happy to assist you with resolving those.

Now to answer your Viewer SDK specific questions.
The only way you can work with form fields in the Viewer would be through JS, and not all JS methods described here were supported in the Viewer:
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/ ... erence.pdf
So you can try to do your form filling via RunJavaScript() - using the relevant JS code, but I can not guarantee it will work at 100% without any errors.

Regards,
Stefan
User

Thanks for that Stefan.

As I mentioned in this post, we have run into a few issues that have not been resolved and is keeping us from pulling the trigger on purchasing the PDF-XChange Editor SDK product.

If you could have a look at my post in the "PDF-XChange Editor SDK" forum titled "PowerBuilder and Form Fields", and provide some direction on why I can get a valid handle to the SrcInfo Interface but I'm always getting an Invalid Null Pointer to the Info Interface. We need to understand this. I have provided a simple example and once we understand why it is different, we may understand why we are getting Invalid null pointers to other interfaces.

Your help is appreciated.
Regards,
Greg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Greg,

I assume it's this topic that you refer to:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=31504

I have asked Sasha (my colleague from the dev team posting in that topic) to take another look and advise on that latest issue you've reported.
He has finished for the day today though, so the reply will probably come tomorrow!

Regards,
Stefan
User

That is the correct topic. And thank you for your attention to this.

Warm regards,
Greg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to help Greg!

Cheers,
Stefan
User

Hey Stefan,

We never did get a reply back from Alex on our post in the other forum. (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=31504).

We're at the point where we really need to understand why there is a difference getting a handle to the SrcInfo Interface as compared to the Info Interface when they are documented exactly the same way.

If it does turn out to be a limitation with our PowerBuilder programming language, we need to understand that since that will likely be a show-stopper on us pulling the purchase trigger.

Anything you can do to help this forward, is as always appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Greg