Printing Questions

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

TatianaS
User

Printing Questions

Post by TatianaS »

Hello, I have some questions regarding printing with ActiveX component:

1. When printing a native PDF document to Windows XPS Document Writer or CutePDF, the viewer will produce none editable (text cannot be selected) document. In contrary, printing from Adobe Reader will produce a document with selectable text. How can I accomplish the same behavior as in Adobe Reader?

2. I have a scenario where user prints a document I need to add a back page on every page of the document (assuming they use duplex print setting). So, in the print preview, I show the document without back pages. When “Print” is clicked in the print window, I need to intercept the event and add back pages before print job is created. Could you recommend a solution on how I can accomplish that.

Thanks,
Tatiana
Nico - Tracker Supp
User

Re: Printing Questions

Post by Nico - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tatiana,

Thank you for your post.
Regarding your questions:
1. You should be able to produce a document which can be selected when you print by using both programs.
Can you send us the file you are trying to print?
Does it happen with all the files or just this file in particular?
Is the file selectable before printing?
2. You need to create a new document and add the pages from the old PDF document and the back pages according to your preferred order. Then print the new document.
You could use the Viewer SDK or Tools SDK.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
TatianaS
User

Post by TatianaS »

Hello,
I am using 'Pages Thumbnails' and it has "print" and "export to image" options.
I am wandering if there is a way to disable these buttons (without using DenyAllExportOperations) or catch an event before your print and export dialogs are popped so I can pop my own.

Thanks
-Tatiana
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

In regards of text searchable XPS. The viewer can print text as text or as curves depends of some circumstances. If font is used by the text is not embedded in the PDF file, the Viewer will use this font for printing.
For embedded fonts, if they are TrueType font, the Viewer will try to create temporary font (if corresponding option in Advanced printing options is allowed). In case of success, this font will be used for printing.
Otherwise text will be printed as curves, and in that case resulting XPS file will not be text searchable document.

In regards of the second request, I'm afraid there are no way to intercept execution of commands.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.