On the Hairlines problem and the new 3.0 editor version

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

cmarsura
User

On the Hairlines problem and the new 3.0 editor version

Post by cmarsura »

Hi,
a response from a today's post from Stefan Dzhukelov reminded me of the hairlines problem: in the past I was unable to print correctly a pdf made of text and thin rows that Tracker viewer was unable to render to screen and on the printer - changing the viewing resolution changes the lines that are showed; Acrobat Reader instead was not affected by this problem.
Today I have given a try to the PDF-XChange Editor V 3.0.275 and seen that the new editor is more improved and capable of show more correctly these lines, but however, not perfectly as Acrobat Reader: the lines now are ever showed but there are some that are painted more thin than others.
I cannot evaluate the printing functionality of the Tracker editor, being it disabled.

1) Can I expect further improvements in this area?
2) Will we permitted to download and test a more recent version of the Editor while waiting for the expected 'gold' release?

Sorry for having troubled you several times today :) .

Best,
Carlo
Attachments
Hairlines.zip
Pdf with hairlines
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: On the Hairlines problem and the new 3.0 editor version

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Carlo,

No problem at all with all the questions! We are happy to have the discussion running!

A new build of the Editor might be provided a bit later this month (I still have not received a confirmation of an exact date) - and the gold/final Editor will be ready in March.

Printing is indeed disabled, but as for the lines rendering - I must say that the only "difference" I noticed is in the vertical lines being thicker than the horizontal ones, and all horizontal ones are equal. What I noticed as well is that at large zoom levels (1600% and up) - adobe's reader is having issues displaying the horizontal lines and is not consistent ;) - but is also showing the vertical lines a bit thicker than the horizontal ones - so I think our Editor is doing quite a good job at rendering this file.

Improvements can be expected of course - but the main rendering engine is already written. Any minor differences you notice between our Editor and Adobe's reader are most likely due to the different ant-aliasing algorithms being used.

Best,
Stefan
cmarsura
User

Post by cmarsura »

Stefan, I agree with you, the editor has make a big jump ahead in the rendering, and for the most of the work it may be adequate, but, excuse me if I insist, the rendering should be improved yet a bit.

Let me to explain: in the included images you can see that the horizontal lines does not have same gray level, expecially that under the word 'pattuazioni' in Zoom3.png; in addition the vertical lines differ from horizontal lines. Our customers, being legal representatives of the State, must print documents where the lines must be perfectly drawn (both horizontal and vertical) and the visibility/thickness must be the same for all, otherwise the document can be rejected by State. This situation impose our customers to use Acrobat Reader to print those documents, also if I admit, the line information in the pdf does not describe the line thickness very well.

I hope to have clarified a bit my concern about. :)

Best,
Carlo
Attachments
HairlinesRendering.zip
(295.85 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Carlo,

Yes now I see the difference - thanks for pointing it out. I will pass this along to the dev team and if they have any further comments - I will post them here.

Best,
Stefan
cmarsura
User

Post by cmarsura »

Hi to all,
as of current versions of PDF Viewer (2.5.210) and PDF Editor (3.0.300) both the hairlines problem is still present.
Have you any news on this?

Best.

Carlo
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Carlo,

I just spoke with the project leader and he acknowledged the problem with hairlines. He said that we can't make improvements in the very next build as we are focusing on finishing other things now. But we will see what improvements we can make when there is some time for more exhaustive investigation and testing of the subject.

Best,
Stefan
cmarsura
User

Post by cmarsura »

Hi to all, awakening this thread after more than 18 months...
I given a try to the latest version of PDF-XChange Editor (5.5.311.0 28 Oct 2014) but I did not see any further advance on this problem - the editor continues to be affected.
Any news on this?

Best regards.
Carlo
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Please note this forum is for the PDF-XChange Viewer SDK only and not the Editor - will ensure a ticket is updated and this problem hopefully this will be resolved in build 312 of the Editor released in Mid December if all goes well.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com