Prerequisites for ActiveX Viewer OCR

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Chrisme
User

Prerequisites for ActiveX Viewer OCR

Post by Chrisme »

I downloaded and installed the PDF XChange Pro SDK.
Using the Viewer ActiveX I can display a PDF-Document with a scanned image.
The OCR function seems to be available, but there are no language packs.
When i try to install the base language pack using OCRBaseLangPack.exe, the install gets aborted with the message "PDF Viewer not installed".

What am I doing wrong?
What do i have to do to make the OCR functionality of the PDF Viewer ActiveX available to me and the customers of my application?

Best regards,
Christian
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Re: Prerequisites for ActiveX Viewer OCR

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

There is a minor issue with the add-on language pack installers which we will fix ASAP.

Meanwhile, you can workaround it by installing the end user viewer on your workstation and copying the language files manually to your active X installation. For deployment you can manage deployment of these files as you see fit, provided they are placed in the correct directory on the target machine.

The Active-X viewer looks for OCR language files in the directory containing the DLL, within a subdirectory "ocrdats".

So, if the Active-X DLL is in: C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer SDK\Bin

You must install OCR languages in: C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer SDK\Bin\ocrdats

Simply copy, to this directory, the contents of the PDF Viewer (end user) installation's OCR language directory: C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\ocrdats

By default this will contain:

Code: Select all

deu.lng
deu_pxvocr.dat
eng.ln
eng_pxvocr.dat
fra.lng
fra_pxvocr.dat
spa.lng
spa_pxvocr.dat
But if you install other language packs, you can also copy those files (as you see fit).

Each language is denoted by a three letter prefix and there will be two files (***.lng and ***_pxvocr.dat) to copy for that language.

Hope this helps. We will create an internal ticket about including OCR languages in the active-X stand-alone installation and language pack downloads.
Chrisme
User

Post by Chrisme »

Thank you Walter.
I will follow your recommendation.
Best Regards,
Christian
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)

Do let Walter know if you need further assistance.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Themed
User

Post by Themed »

Thank you for the great advice. I am new and had the same question. So thank you very much I will let you know if I have any success..
Nico - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Nico - Tracker Supp »

Thank you for the post Themed.
If you have any questions please let us know.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
moke@napconet.com
User

Post by moke@napconet.com »

I have done as described here but still end up with an empty language pull down menu in the ocr window. Any thoughts?
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

1. Can you tell me what directory the registered ActiveX dll resides in? If you need to check the registry you can search for PDFXCviewAx.dll and see what path is registered (on my system it is in C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\PDFXCviewAx.dll).

2. What directory did you put the "ocrdats" directory in? If you put it in the distribution "bin" folder as recommended above, but your application is using the registered server in c:\program files\tracker software\pdfviewer\PDFXCviewAx.dll then it won't be found.
moke@napconet.com
User

Post by moke@napconet.com »

Walter, here's the info you wanted...

1) dll is registered in "C:\Program Files (x86)\PPR"
2) ocrdats folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\PPR\ocrdats"

I manually registered again (with no errors) just in case.Also, I am using Windows 7 prof -64bit. I am using the 32bit dll for my app but I have both 32 and 64 bit registered (because i installed the free viewer). A registry search for PDFXCviewAx.dll comes up empty...

Thanks
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

If you have placed the ocrdats directory in the folder of the in-use ActiveX dll, it should find them. I will check into a way for you to verify that the directory is correct and get back to you here shortly.

Are you using registration-free ActiveX, for example as described here:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... an-ActiveX

Or (in the default installation directory):
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Viewer SDK\Examples\Registration-Free COM