Uninstall Update - Build 56 Crashes

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Pavman
User

Uninstall Update - Build 56 Crashes

Post by Pavman »

I am currently running Version 2.0 and after updating to build 56 I get constant crashes while saving a 46 mb document I am adding bookmarks to. I am running windows xp, and have had NO problems with this document until my update today.

How do I roll back and where can I download the previous version of Viewer pro??
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Uninstall Update - Build 56 Crashes

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Pavman,

I am afraid that the only way to roll back is if you have a copy of the older installer somewhere - we can not provide you one :(

As for the particular problem - we would definitely like to investigate this, so if you have a smaller file that you could reproduce the problem with please use the Help -> Report a problem feature in our Viewer, as we would like to have a look.

Best,
Stefan
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

I did a system restore to build 55 so I am up and running now. I could not wait. I will say that Build 56 did not work and would crash upon saving a document that I added pages to.

All that being said, your program has been so useful and light years ahead of Adobe. Hopefully, you will discover the issues relating to the new build quickly.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Pavman,

thanks for the report.

Even using build 55 as you are now, it would still be helpful if you are able to send the files and included text from the Viewer Help --> Report a Problem email with a reference to this forum thread https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =35&t=8908

Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

It looks like the problem may be the document I am working on - it is about 46mb and all of my bookmarks are important.

I tried to open the file in PDF-Xchage 4.0 tools to do a simple file optimization and I get the following error:

Error: [PDF Structure 35] Invalid Property type

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this??
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Sometimes such errors are recoverable, so try with e.g. opening this file in the latest build of our Viewer, and make a change that you know is not crashing it - e.g. add a line to page 1, and save the document. On Saving our Viewer tries to correct some such errors in "broken" pdf files. And then this file might be working without troubles in both the Viewer and Tools, but don't count too much on that as usually recoverable errors are not crashing our products :(

Best,
Stefan
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

I'm affraid that without file we cannot help. Can you send it to support@pdf-xchange.com with link to this topic in message body? And please archive it before sending (to reduce file size and maintain it integrity).
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Yes, I sent the file yesterday,

PDF viewer opens the file without a problem but then later crashes. PDF-Xchange tools does not open it and give the error (35) above. Acrobat 5 opens it fine but upon trying to save gives the error: "The Document could not be saved. There was a proble reading this document (14).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pavman,

I found the file you sent, however we also need some of the system details that Help--> Report a Problem tries to add tot he email it sends. can I ask you to still please use Help --> Report a Problem in the Viewer and send all the offered zip files and the default text please?

thanks Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Pavman.
Cannot reproduce crash with your file, sorry. Do you have any instructions what to do to reproduce it?
Also I can save your document using Acrobat 9.3.4 with no errors.
And yes, your document contains incorrect record in pages tree (where all pages in PDF file are described), this is why xcpro40 and PDFTools4 cannot handle such document. Viewer and Acrobat simply ignore this record. As I can see this document was modified using our Viewer several times - at least with buil 54 and build 56 (last is strange because you say that build 56 crashes when try to save?). Is this a copy of document which cause problems you you send us fixed/resaved variant?
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Actually, the doument continues to crash when I went back to the prior build. I had been trying to continue to add pages to the document as part of an ongoing progress for a case file.

My workflow was as follows:

While keeping the master document open, I would open another pdf scan and drag one of the many yellow seperator pages from the master into the newly opened file (as the software does not allow you to copy pages within itself) thus creating a page seperator, then I would slect all of the pages from the newly opened document and drag the page thumbnails from that document into the relevant space in the "Master" document
- the newly inserted pages would be put somwhere within the master, not at the end. I would then bookmark the newly inserted pages, then edit the bookmark so that the zoom scale of the bookmark was "fit to page". the "Master" file. I would then save the "Master" Document. PDF x-canhge would either freeze indefinately now or after the repeat of this same process a second time. I cannot get past insereting twice.

Lzcat - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Pavman.
Cannot reproduce crash with your file, sorry. Do you have any instructions what to do to reproduce it?
Also I can save your document using Acrobat 9.3.4 with no errors.
And yes, your document contains incorrect record in pages tree (where all pages in PDF file are described), this is why xcpro40 and PDFTools4 cannot handle such document. Viewer and Acrobat simply ignore this record. As I can see this document was modified using our Viewer several times - at least with buil 54 and build 56 (last is strange because you say that build 56 crashes when try to save?). Is this a copy of document which cause problems you you send us fixed/resaved variant?
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Freeze is reproduced, but not crash. It is a bit differen behaviour, but also not good :(
This problem is already reported and fixed, but fix will be avail with version 2.5 coming soon.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Yes, I ran a product called "Advanced PDF Repair" which cured the error with PDF-Xchange 4 optimization mode; unfortunately the viewer is still having issues, and yes you are also correct the problem is a permenant freeze with PDF viewer, I have to end process and any changes are lost.. I am attaching a copy of the error file generated by Microsoft error reporting in case it helps at all.

You all have a fantastic product, I have had no problems in the past and hopefully it will be fixed soon..

Sven
Attachments
c7a9_appcompat.pdf
Error log
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for your patience Sven.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Just a heads up that the fix to this will be in todays new build. 57.0 will be available later today or this evening.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

Great news!! Thanks for getting it done!
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Just a heads up that the fix to this will be in todays new build. 57.0 will be available later today or this evening.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Build 57 is on the site now. Do let us know haw that works for you. I appreciate that it might take a few days to establish a stable history so keep in touch.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Pavman
User

Post by Pavman »

As of Monday afternoon, the Build 57 update is not available when you "Check for Updates" , do I need to download the product from scratch??

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Build 57 is on the site now. Do let us know haw that works for you. I appreciate that it might take a few days to establish a stable history so keep in touch.

regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Pavman,

If you have used the .msi installer - this is known not to be working - the Live updater is correctly functioning if you used the exe/zip installer though.

For the moment the solution would indeed be to download and install manually.

Best,
Stefan