Compare 2 similar pdf documents

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

LeonardKansas
User

Compare 2 similar pdf documents

Post by LeonardKansas »

I need to comare 2 similar pdf documents to determine the differences. Can i do this with with pdf xchange viewer or any of your other software? [ I think i cannnot do this with your PDF xchange viewer]. Using Vista. Thanks. LeonardKansas [my apologies, I previously posted this in the wrong section]
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Compare 2 similar pdf documents

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi LeonardKansas,

comparing the content of 2 PDF files is not trivial. It is far more complex that comparing text files for example. Having said that we are working on just such a feature for the next major version of PDF-XChange Viewer. It is still a work in progress but we are hopeful that it will be ready for the initial release of the new version but it may end up being some time later. It is still too early to tell at this point.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
LeonardKansas
User

Post by LeonardKansas »

I realize you are working on this for a future version, but I need this for immediate use. Any suggestions about products from other companies that might be beneficial, or that are a waste? thanks. LeonardKansas@yahoo.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi LeonardKansas,

I don't know of one off the top of my head. I'd suggest a Google search. :-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Kar.ma
User

Post by Kar.ma »

I love Beyond Compare 3 for file comparing. I use it every single day. But please note PDF comparing is really trivial, so not all files will be compared in a nice way.
However, I suggest to try for free the trial version.

(I know this topic is a few months old, but useful informations don't expire soon)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Kar.ma,

And thanks for the suggestion.
I will pass that to Paul and hope that he would be able to spend some time to test the suggested comparison software, but once again I am not sure PDF comparison is trivial as the structure inside a PDF while perfectly valid could be a "mess" in terms of order - components that you will say appear "after" others on the page could be before inside the structure, and when there are changes in one of the files, those changes could also be pretty much anywhere in the structure, so as you yourself said
so not all files will be compared in a nice way.
Those that are a perfect match will probably compare nicely, but even small changes to a copy of the same parent file could result in weird comparison results.

In any case we are preparing a side by side view mode for ver3 of our Viewer, where you would be able to easily open two documents (or two versions of the same) side by side and compare them visually.

Best,
Stefan
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi LeonardKansas,

comparing the content of 2 PDF files is not trivial. It is far more complex that comparing text files for example. Having said that we are working on just such a feature for the next major version of PDF-XChange Viewer. It is still a work in progress but we are hopeful that it will be ready for the initial release of the new version but it may end up being some time later. It is still too early to tell at this point.

hth
Nice to hear. But now there is the year 2014...
Goetz
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

The feature has now been added. Take a look at this knowledge base article for some tips and tricks:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... nd-windows

You can also use this function:

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:The feature has now been added. Take a look at this knowledge base article for some tips and tricks:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... nd-windows

You can also use this function:

I hope this helps!
Sorry. But this not the feature I mean.
I want the program to compare the test of the files automatically as in the Acrobat Prof XI. Here I can see and compare manually.
Goetz
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi winkelmann,

I think Patrick misunderstood what you wanted. The feature to compare and find differences in PDF files is still not ready. It's priority was not as high as a number of other things. We are still planning to implement such a feature however it is not expected this year now. I can't give you an ETA as it is, as I mentioned, not a high priority item at this juncture.

Sorry if that's not something you want to hear, it is the candid truth that we have many other things to apply our developers time to that are much more pressing, like the Editor SDK for example.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi winkelmann,

I think Patrick misunderstood what you wanted. The feature to compare and find differences in PDF files is still not ready. It's priority was not as high as a number of other things. We are still planning to implement such a feature however it is not expected this year now. I can't give you an ETA as it is, as I mentioned, not a high priority item at this juncture.

Sorry if that's not something you want to hear, it is the candid truth that we have many other things to apply our developers time to that are much more pressing, like the Editor SDK for example.

hth
Well, hope dies at least
Goetz
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the understanding Götz!

Kind Regards,
Stefan
ystella
User

Post by ystella »

I am using PDF-XChange Editor. We are doing engineering and very often need to compare design in pdf of different versions at one time. The ability to compare PDF is an important feature to us. I hope the its priority as product improvement can be raised. Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello ystella,

Thanks for adding your voice to this topic.
We do have this feature in mind, however there are quite a few other ones with higher priority and demand, so this one is still not available and I can't tell you exactly if/when an automated comparison tool might be available.
For the moment - you can open the two version side by side and compare them visually.

Regards,
Stefan