Initial View Problem

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Initial View Problem

Post by Arnold »

There seems to be a problem with setting the initial view in document properties, at least on my computer. If the pdf file is set to open in “fit page” magnification, I cannot change it to "fit width". It seems to accept the new setting, and allows me to then re-save the file, but on re-open the setting has not changed. If I change it in Acrobat and re-open in PDFXV it opens in “fit width” magnification like I set it to, but on page 2, not page 1. This is with the document set to open on page 1. At that point if I try to change the magnification back to “fit page” in PDFXV, it will not change. Seems to behave the same on another pdf I tried also. Everything is allowed on both documents, no security settings. As far as I know, “fit visible” is not an option right now. PDFXV version 2, build 51.0. Thank you.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Initial View Problem

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Thanks for report. Will check and fix it asap.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

The fix will be available in the next build - build 52 due out by Monday.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Just noticed this. If a page number is set in "Initial View", the file does not seem to go there when it is re-opened in PDFXV. It does open to the correct page if it is opened in Acrobat though.

The page magnification is fixed with the exception of "Fit Visible" which is a known problem I believe.

Thank you.

Follow Up

In Preferences if I set the Page Display > Initial Display > Page Layout/Zoom both back to Automatic PDFXV does go to the set page. I guess those settings also control what page the file opens to. I generally have them set to Continuous and Fit Width.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

it should still go to the page even when set to "Fit Visible". We will get this fixed in build 53.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Excellent. Thank you. The program just keeps getting better. Being able to now adjust the font sizes in menus, etc. is great. I set up Shift-Key shortcuts for the features I use all the time, and I can really work efficiently with pdf files.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Pleasure Arnold and thanks for your continued feedback - which also helps ! :-)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Something still does not seem right. Here is an extracted page from a larger document that does not seem to open correctly. Nothing serious, but it seems to open to the middle of the page, not the top. It also does this with the original 80 page book (page 1). I have attached my settings in preferences for page display options. Maybe there is something I do not understand.

If I tell it to open to another page it does the same thing (page 3). It does open in fit page view with no bookmark pane per preference settings.

Thank you.
Attachments
Desktop.zip
(111.04 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

In current version of the viewer changing of layout mode preserves middle point of screen - i.e. central point of screen in 'first' layout will be central point of screen in the next layout (for sure if it is possible).

In the build 54 of the viewer we have made some changes -- now switching between layout modes preserves 'top line' (but zoom in/zoom out preserves central point still).

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Great. I had downloaded a book in pdf format and when it opened I noticed it. Reading a book with PDFXV works pretty well. Pages in PDFXV look really good on my older laptop with ClearType enabled.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

One more variation. I created a pdf file from 7 jpegs so there is no text in the file. Navigation - Auto, Page Layout - Auto, Magnification - Fit Width, Open To Page 1, Version 2.053. This file opens to the top of page 2, unlike the one submitted previously which opened to the middle of page 1. That file was entirely text I believe. Thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Arnold.

Please send us the document for investigating and fixing of this trouble. And screenshot of [Preferences/Page Display] can be very helpful also.

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is the file. This file opens to page 4 in Acrobat 8.3.3 and to page 5 in PDFXV. This seems to only happen if the page to open to is set in Acrobat not in PDFXV.
Attachments
Roof Repairs.zip
(932.56 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Open action in this document jumps to 4th page of the document with Fit Width zoom level, but to position of -32768, which we fix as 0, and, as a result, we showing only last pixel of 4rh page at the top of view.

We will add workaround for such destinations in next builds.

Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Everything seems to be fixed except for the last file I posted with graphics. I imagine you did not have time to change that in this release.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnold,

Yes that's correct - Ivan stated that we will add it in a future build, but it was not 2.0.54.
We will do the workaround, but just it might happen in a build or two :)

Cheers,
Stefan