PDF-Xchange will not open pdf files

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Funkyecat
User

PDF-Xchange will not open pdf files

Post by Funkyecat »

PDF-Xchange will not open pdf files.

I get a screen with a weird character. See attached.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Xchange will not open pdf files

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Please .zip files before attaching them.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Funkyecat
User

Post by Funkyecat »

I don't know if this is okay.
Attachments
pdfviewer.zip
(43.05 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Funkyecat
User

Post by Funkyecat »

or this.
Attachments
pdfviewer.7z
(42.52 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for those Funkyecat,

the zip and 7z archives are fine but what we need is the PDF file to look at not just the screen shot.

can you upload the PDF document that fails please?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Funkyecat
User

Post by Funkyecat »

The pdf file is on a website. Actually any pdf file on a website will give the same result.

http://www.myheartlandmarketplace.com/h ... ngton.html

They work fine under (gulp) Adobe Reader.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

The files on the link given open just fine here ...

can I ask if you have PDF-XChange Viewer set to open in your browswer ?

See Edit menu -> Preferences -> File Associations

If so - please advise what browser and version of Windows you are using and also the version of PDF-XChange viewer (Help -> About)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Funkyecat
User

Post by Funkyecat »

Yes they open in Adobe file.

In PDFC the EDIT PREFERENCES is set okay.

Version 2.0 (Build 50)

I am using WinXP SP3 and Firefox 3.6.3.

Note File Associations is also set correctly.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

The the issue seems to be that Adobe Acrobat is set as your default PDF viewer - not PDF-XChange and that is why they open in Adobe rather than PDF-XChange.

Both FF and/or Acrobat Reader can influence this - please ensure that the PDF-XChange option 'Edit Menu -> preferences -> 'make default PDF Viewer' is selected'

If PDF-XChange is still not set by default as your Viewer - please see these KB articles ...

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/266
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/264
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Looks like for some reason Viewer's COM object isn't registereg correctly on you side.

Please run the following commands:

"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCview.exe" /RegServer
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCviewAx.dll"

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Funkyecat
User

Post by Funkyecat »

Adobe was removed before this and the File Types was correctly set to File Viewer. I tried your cmd entry and it still did not work.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

If you are using Internet Explorer, please also run:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCviewIEPlugin.dll"

And, launch the viewer with command line option: /makeassoc:web=true

HTH

igp
User

Post by igp »

I get the following error msgs when trying to open and pdf file from withing the FF and IE8 respectively:

Error opening document
"C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cilzkvg.default\Cache\BAE2A881d01":
Error[Operating system]: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error opening document
"C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\N12R3JBP\2010_03_greek_media_gacc_parl_visit[1].pdf":
Error [Operating system]: The system cannot find the file specified.

A brief history:
Today I downloaded and tested a trial version. It worked fine. I liked the PDF-Xchange, so I paid full price for the pro version. As per instruction I relaunched the trial version and when requested copied the key. Again it worked fine except despite the key it the Xchange still showed it's a trial version and had the "buy" stamp on it.

I uninstalled the trial version, downloaded the full version and installed it ok. Tried it on the local pdf files and all worked fine, that is until tried to open pdf from within the web browsers.

The Xchange is set as a default pdf reader.

Thanks for help
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

Looks like despite your update - the browser plug-in has not been updated - could it be that you still had a a browser window open during the install or the license info update?

Please try the following :

1: Fully uninstall the viewer and restart your PC - then download the latest release to be 100% sure this is what you have - assuming you purchased just the viewer PRO (and not the full PDF-XChange PRO Bundle) use this link :

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

or if you licensed the full PDF-XChange PRO bundle (driver etc also) then use this link :

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFX4.zip

But before installing - please be sure you close all browser windows.

Once installed and before selecting the option edit -> Preferences -> File Associations -> Make PDF-XChange the Default PDF Viewer and also Display in Browser - please ensure you have your serial number in the option Edit Preferences -Registration

If either the Default Viewer or Display in Browser options are selected already - please unchecked - and re-check again to force the plug-in to be updated.

Please advise if this resolves your problems.

Best regards
Tracker Support
igp
User

Post by igp »

John,

thanks for reply and suggestions. Done everything as per your instructions. Regrettably made no difference. Get the same error msgs. I can open pdf files from within my PC including pdf files attached to emails i sent and received. The only problem is with opening pdf files from within web page. For example pdf files on http://www.gacc.org.au/gacc_main.html (one of my clients)

cheers
igor
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi igor,

did you try the things Ivan mentioned int his thread?
If you are using Internet Explorer, please also run:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCviewIEPlugin.dll"

And, launch the viewer with command line option: /makeassoc:web=true
The Firefox plugin DLL run:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll
And, launch the viewer again with command line option:

Code: Select all

PDFXCview.exe /makeassoc:web=true
let me know if you have done this and the results.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
igp
User

Post by igp »

Paul, thanks for the instructions. Followed by the letter but no improvement. However, I did some more digging and have discovered that the problem is with browsers when they are running in virtual / protective mode. Essentially it appears that PDF -Xchange is trying to fetch files from the temp folder, which of course are not there since the browser is running in virtual mode and nothing is downloaded into the temp files. So, by switching the virtual mode off the pdf files open fine. The problem is of course is that Adobe pdf reader does fetch the files even when the browsers are in virtual state. I'm investigating my firewall's -ZoneAlarm Extreme Security- setting as well. Maybe it also plays some role. Will let you know if there's a solution. In the meantime if you have a solution to such environment or setup as; Win 7, Zone Alarm Extreme Security firewall, virtual browser mode, please let me know and spare time digging through various solutions.

cheers
igor
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, igor.

We found out that ZoneAlarm with "browser visualization" enabled - disables initialization and running of an important plugin component we need (out-process com-server).

Unfortunately, at the moment we can't resolve this problem. We'll try to solve it in the new version of the Viewer (V3).

Temporarily you can disable the "browser visualization in ZoneAlarm" option, as when this is switches off everything seems to be OK.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
igp
User

Post by igp »

Thanx Vasyl. I'm still twicking some of the Zone Alarm's settings, so far not much luck, however, for the time being switching the virtualization mode on/off will do as an interim solution. Since I'm entitled for upgrades for the next 3 years, I'm looking forward to the next upgrade.

cheers
Igor
igp
User

Post by igp »

I just managed to configure PDF-Xchange to work with FF and ZoneAlarm, but so far no luck with IE8. Since I hardly use IE, I won't spend any more time twicking ZA to work with IE8. The solution with ZA is not perfect in the sense that ZA won't open a pdf file automatically within FF but ZA will ask for confirmation to load or save, but that's perfectly fine for me; at least I don't need to turn ZA off. If anybody needs to know the settings within ZA, let me know.

cheers
igor
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hey Igor,

You can post the solution here in the forums so it will remain here for anyone that might need it in the future :)

Best,
Stefan
igp
User

Post by igp »

I found a solution for the problem: PDF files won't open in FF with ZoneAlarm. There are a couple of solutions but try first this if you encounter the same problem:

1. Uninstall completely FireFox (make sure you backup your profile which contains your bookmarks and other settings somewhere in a separate directory or partition...)
2. Backup your registry and then make sure you clean up the registry from any traces of FF. This may not be an absolute requirement, but that's how I do things.
3. Reboot your PC.
4. Open ZA, look for all PDF-Xchange components - they should be grouped together, and configure the the Programs option in the Program Control to allow PDF-Xchange and all other related programs full control. If you are freaking out from such all out permission, don't worry for now.
5. Reboot yr PC.
6. Download the latest version of FF and install it.
7. In the Tools>Options... look for PDF-Xchange entry and in the Action field from the drop down menu pick the PDF-Xchange as the action to read PDF files.
8. Click OK button.

Reboot your PC, test it. It should work now.

AfterCare:
1. If you don't see your bookmarks in the newly installed FF, restore your FF Bookmarks from the backup
2. Test by openning a PDF file.
3. Now back to ZA. If you are freaking out from giving PDF-Xchange full & unrestricted pass through the firewall, begin ticking off constraints one by one and test the PDF files until you hit a snag... that is if you do. This way you'll be able to constrain PDF-Xchange's access to the optimum level.

That's it folks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Many thanks :-)

Best regards
Tracker Support
hmw
User

Post by hmw »

I hope this thread is still open. I recently installed a Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) computer on my network, and installed PDF XChange Viewer (Pro) Version 2.5, Build 212.0 on it. It is the same Viewer program & build that I have on my XP. On the XP it works fine and opens in the Browser window on all the browser on my XP, including IE 8.

On this new Win 7 computer, by following all the treads related to this topic, I have gotten Viewer to open as it should in Firefox 29, Pale Moon 24x, Chrome and Opera 12 [actually always opened fine in Opera 12]. It opens correctly whether in PDF Viewer Preferences->File Associations I select 'Display PDF in Browser' or not.

But it will not open correctly in IE 10. No .pdf reader will open in IE unless I UNCHECK Viewers 'Display PDF in Browser', and then Adobe Reader opens.

If I go to IE's Manage Add-ons->All add-ons, PDF Viewer does NOT show. I then went to your article on how to add '/makeassoc:web=true' via the Command prompt. I am an Administrator, and ran it as Administrator. All it seemed to do was reset PDF Viewer's 'Display PDF in Browser' option, which I had to again disable.

Still when I go to IE's 'Manage Add-ons'->All add-ons, PDF Viewer does NOT show. And only Adobe Reader opens; not PDF Viewer.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Harry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the post - there were known issues with older builds of both the Editor and the Viewer working in IE 10. Please download and try build 214.2 and give that a try:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer_307.zip

Failing that, please try upgrading to 308.1. Download and instructions are as follows:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... rade-Guide

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
hmw
User

Post by hmw »

Will:

Thanks for the prompt reply. A couple of questions:

1. Do you know that one or the other of these options will fix it, or are they just among a long list of things to try?
2. Are you talking about BUILDS 214.2 and 308.1 for Version 2.5, or different Versions? And what is the upgrade price for 308.1?

I assume for both of the options you listed, I would still have the PRO version like now.

Harry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Harry,

I believe that a fix specifically for this was introduced for build 214.1/214.2, so you should certainly find this helps.

For the Viewer, Version 2.5 Build 308.1 is technically a new Version, as it has the new protection subsystem implemented, but 214.2 still uses the old protection system and serial key format, so you should be fine to download and install that (link below for convenience/clarity) without having to upgrade your serial key:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer_307.zip

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
hmw
User

Post by hmw »

Will:

I used the link you specified, and installed Ver 214.2. Sadly, no change. IE still opens Adobe Reader, and Viewer still does not show on the IE addins page.

Incidentally, the user manual that comes with Viewer says that there are both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Viewer. But 214.2 installed in Program Files (x86) on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit computer, and contrary to the manual, I was not asked to uninstall the old version. 214.2 was just installed over it. (And I did check, it is 214.2 Pro that I have installed).

So is the next step the upgrade to 3.08? And if so, are you confident that it will solve the IE 10 problem? I hate to spend the $ for the upgrade, and find no improvement.

Harry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi hmw,

That's very strange - I can only really confirm that this is working for me here, with the Viewer and I'm running build 308.1. In all honesty though, I saw this issue with build 214 and this was fixed for me in build 214.2, so it's extremely strange that it's not for you.

Could I ask you to indulge me a little here and follow these steps?

1) Make sure IE is closed by killing any running processes within the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc).

2) Open the Viewer and go to Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations uncheck display PDF's in browser, then hit Apply --> OK --> Close the Viewer (NOT with Task Manager).

3) Reopen the Viewer and go back to the File Associations sections of the Preferences, then re-check the option to View PDF's in browsers and hit "Make Default".

4) Hit Apply --> OK and close the Viewer again.

5) Try Viewing a PDF and, if there's still no luck, as a test, please try disabling Protected Mode in IE's Security settings, within the "Internet Options".

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
hmw
User

Post by hmw »

Will:

First you have spent an awful lot of time on this issue, and I really appreciate it.

Sadly, what you had me do did not work. As I said in one of my earlier posts, checking 'View PDF in Browser' forces me in IE to ask if I want a .pdf file opened, and when I say Yes, it opens PDF Viewer is a separate window.

The only way I can get IE to open a pdf within IE is uncheck 'View PDF in Browser', and then it opens the .pdf with Adobe Reader. The setting of 'View PDF in Browser' makes absolutely no difference in Firefox, Pale Moon (a Firefox variation), Chrome or Opera 12. They always open Viewer in the browser window.

Unless you have some other ideas, I will just live with it. I hardly ever use IE anyway. Really only to view the website I maintain to make sure there are no glitches (which is also why I have all the other browsers installed).

Harry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Harry,

It's not a problem at all :)

I wish I had good news for you, but I'm afraid that even after uninstalling 308.1 and re-installing 214.2 (same as you have), the Viewer still displays fine in IE. If you have any anti-virus software running, that could be running interference with the Viewer's plugin, or perhaps your Firewall is blocking it. it's possible for this to happen on a 'per-app' basis, so that may explain why this happening with the Viewer, but not the Editor.

As it stands, I'm afraid that the only other productive suggestion that I can really make is, if you're willing, to try the upgrade to 308.1 and see if that helps.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
hmw
User

Post by hmw »

Will:

I disconnected my Windows firewall and my Security Essentials anti-virus. Made no difference.
[Incidentally I have an old version of Editor, but on my XP computer; not this Win 7 one]

Let's just leave this in the category of 'cause unknown' and move on.

I'll stick with IE opening Adobe Reader the very few times I use it, and you can get back to work on something more productive.

Thanks again for all your effort and hard work. After spending 30 minutes on the phone with 'idiots' at Amazon's Kindle support this afternoon, it is such a pleasure to work with dedicated and talented support folks such as you.

Harry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the kind words, they're certainly very much appreciated :D It's a pleasure!

If you're happy to leave it at that, but if it does become a bigger issue, certainly let me know!

Have a great day :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)