Extract Text

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

wrbird
User

Extract Text

Post by wrbird »

Does PDF-XChange Viewer have the ability to extract text when the document was scanned to PDF and now all the text is in image format?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Extract Text

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Wayne,

The short answer is "Not for the moment" :(

To be able to obtain meaningful information from an image a software needs OCR (Optical Character Recognition) functionality.
For the moment the Viewer does not have such, but we are actively working on our OCR project and it should soon be ready.
It will require a License to be used, and will probably be an extra/optional feature to the license.

Such OCR functionality will be available n earlier than late summer.

Best,
Stefan
wrbird
User

Post by wrbird »

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased the Viewer Pro license with a 3 year upgrade, does that mean I'll still need to purchase the OCR module? Will the OCR module work with Viewer Pro?

Wayne
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi wrbird,

in truth the exact nature of the licensing has not yet been decided. We may be offering some users the chance to beta test as we get closer to release. Would you be interested?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

If you need beta testers, I could do it. I use an old version of Acrobat for OCR right now. I have to do this almost daily anymore it seems in my job. I will be glad when I can use PDFX exclusively.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Arnold,

we have not decided yet the exact criteria we want for beta testing - your offer is kindly noted and you are on the list. We'll be in touch when we know more on how it will work,

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com