Scrolling long documents

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Scrolling long documents

Post by Arnold »

I had Acrobat 9 trial installed for 30 days to try the OCR feature. I noticed that Acrobat seemed to scroll most pdf's noticeably faster than PDFX. I sometimes have pdf spec books sent to me that total 1,000 pages or more. Acrobat tends to scroll down through the pages as much as 3 times faster than PDFX. This happens with the keyboard or the mouse. The pdf's vary in how they were created, and whether they are just scanned or software created or a combination of both.

I wrote about this before, and the opinion was that the problem was with my computers. However, I now have a newer laptop and it is the same there. I have everything set under "Performance" to automatic. Is there something in there I should tweak? In all other aspects PDFX was more than a match for Acrobat. You guys have form fields and measuring working perfectly now. This is the only thing left that I would love to figure out. Thank you.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling long documents

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

To answer we need more info on your PC spec and some specific files to test with ... as the general consensus is that for 'most' files we are either equal to or better than Adobe in this area due to the way we load and queue pages within a file - thats not to say we dont accept we can always improve - but we are confident we are already doing a fairly good job here.

Please send any examples direct to us or add to a viewer problem report under the 'Help -> Report a Problem' in the viewer

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is one as an example. Holding down arrow key down Acrobat 9.3 Standard scrolled to bottom in around 17 seconds. PDFX 2.047 just took around 55 seconds. Dell laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo, T5670 @ 1.80 ghz, 3 gig of RAM, Windows XP Professional, sp3.
Attachments
SAFE-1724 Posting Document for Green St Warehouse Asbestos Abatement.zip
(270.62 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hey Arnold,

I would say that the "Slow Scrolling" is due to the smaller step we are using rather than rendering/visualization speed issues.

Try with the left and right arrow keys and I hope you will see that our Viewer "scrolls" whole pages much faster in terms of rendering and displaying than Adobe.
Even after I have visited every page in their reader using the left and right arrow keys was quite laggy in Adobe, while our Viewer visualized each and every page while scrolling fast through your document.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

You are correct. If I use the left and right arrow keys, PDFX does fly through the document every bit as fast as Acrobat. The lag occurs in PDFX when using the down arrow key or the mouse. As I believe you might be saying, PDFX is probably set to scroll at that speed with the down arrow or mouse. I just found that using the down arrow in Acrobat was just about the right speed for me, and PDFX seemed way too slow. I understand that other users might find Acrobat too fast, and PDFX just right. Scrolling with the left and right arrow keys is just a little too fast for me. You just can't please some people :) .

Thank you for your quick response. I knew something was wrong as PDFX was faster in all other respects.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad I could help :)

I do not know for the key scrolling speed but the mouse scroll is influenced by the settings how many lines per wheel turn you want to scroll in Windows -> Control Panel -> Mouse. The default is usually 3 lines but can be changed and the wheel scrolling speed not only in Viewer but in other applications would change if you play with this setting.

just checked:
Key repetition speed in my windows -> control Panel -> Keyboard does affect the scrolling speed inside our Viewer.
Key repetition speed is at the maximum on my system so scrolling with the up/down arrows is acceptably fast for me.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Stefan, one more note. I had to refer again to the pdf file that first brought this to my attention. It is 45 pages long and is 4.58 megs. It is a scanned pdf done with a Canon scanner. As I mentioned previously, when pressing and holding the down arrow key PDFX scrolls down the file much slower than Acrobat. If the right arrow key is pressed and held, PDFX flies through the document. However, all I see is a white screen, and then it is at the last page. This can be avoided if each page has been opened previously. Any page previously opened does not scroll by as a white blank when pressing the right arrow key. Holding the right arrow key down in Acrobat scrolls very quickly through the document, but I can still see every page as it does. This is so, even if it has just been opened and no pages have been looked at previously.

Tapping the right arrow key in both programs advances down to the top of the next page. Using the mouse scroll wheel in either program allows one to adjust the scrolling speed up or down. My settings for key repetition are set to maximum speed. I had forgotten some of these details of the differences between the 2 programs, at least on my computer, until I re-opened this file. PDFX scrolling the pages by as a white blur is what I was referring to when I said PDFX was scrolling too fast for me with the right arrow key. With PDFX the mouse scroll wheel appears to be the best option.

Thanks.