[Feature request] Multiple views

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gfv
User

[Feature request] Multiple views

Post by gfv »

Multiple views is a feature missing in your program that's extremely useful with some types of documents. I mean with it the ability to open various instances of the same document in the same application instance.

It is useful for example:
When there's data at a part of a document and the relative charts at another;
When you have to confront charts from different parts of the document;
When you're reading different parts of the document at the same time, especially as long as the 'back and forward' feature is largely unasable as it is now, but even if it worked well;
When there's a glossary in the document that's useful to keep readily available;
When you have to check the answers of exercises implemented with forms, with the answers at the end of the document;
And other situations

Enabling the option to allow multiple application instances is not a solution, because:
1. This opens any document in a new instance, unless you drag it into the current instance window or open it from the file menu. This is very uncomfortable
2. A lot of space is took away by each application toolbars and menus
3. Every instance uses much more memory than multiple views would with a good implementation, especially with complex documents

The feature requires only one command, 'Open new view' in the Windows menu.
I already asked for it in an e-mail but I've not been replied. Anyhow I'm sure it would be very useful to many people.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request] Multiple views

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi gfv,

Thanks for you input, our development team leaders will have a look and consider your feedback.

Regards,
Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As a work around for now, use the loupe tool, zoom in to the area of the document that you wish to keep on screen while browsing the document, and zoom to the level you need, positioning the loupe window in the corner of the window.

Select the hand tool, and start scroll down through the document. The view in the loupe window will not change until you select the loupe tool again, and select a different area to zoom to.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
MarshallAbrams
User

Post by MarshallAbrams »

Has this capability been added? I want to keep the current point in reading a document while searching. It would be sufficient o have a "mark place" and "return to marked place" capability.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Marshall Abrams,

I am afraid that the answer is "Not Yet".
This functionality has been postponed for ver3 later this year, and when Split View or Multiple Views (or however we name it) is ready there would be no need for "Mark Place" I believe.

Regards,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

In the new version (v.3) we are planning:

1. Single instance (one process) but with many main frames (multi-framed) , - it is not MDI, we will cease to support MDI in the new version.

2. Each frame will be tabbed and can contain many opened documents.

3. Users will be able to split each tab-group on each level.

For example if you have frame with tabs: tab1 | tab2 | tab3 - you will be able to make two parallel tab groups:
group1(tab1) and group2(tab2 | tab3). This can be used for creating side-by-side view.

Also - the group2 can be split (vertically or horizontally) into two new sub-groups:
group2 -> group2[1](tab2) and group2[2](tab3).

4. Each page-view can be split also, vertically or horizontally.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
zachihofmann
User

Post by zachihofmann »

It would be really great if you could implement the split view! Do you have a time line when it will be available.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,

Andreas
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Well the timeframe is - in version 3 of the Viewer.
And the said version is expected later this summer - for the moment there is no exact release date.

Best,
Stefan