PDF's do not open with IE8

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

laopa
User

PDF's do not open with IE8

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Sorry upfront for the newbie questions and comments.

Just downloaded and installed this great product but while Firefox will open PDF's, as will Opera, good old MS IE8 will not. I was previously using Foxit Reader and had no problems with any browser but I would now like to stick with PDF-XChange Viewer.

How do I set IE8 (with IE7Pro) and or PDF-XChange Viewer to that IE8 will automatically open PDF's with PDF-XChange Viewer?

Help

laopa

System: 2.85 Gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, twin 500GB Raid Mirrored HDDs, 4GB RAM, External 1.5TB HDD, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) with HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L [CD-ROM drive] and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter], LGE W2252 [Monitor] (23.0")

Security Software: Online Armor Firewall Premium Version 3.5.0.50, Lavasoft - Ad-Aware Pro Application Version 8, 1, 0, 0, Avira GmbH - AntiVir Desktop Premium Version 9.0.0.446, Advanced SystemCare Pro 3.3.4 plus assorted proactive protectors i.e. Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, WinPatrol, and passive scanners A-Squared Free, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, HitMan Pro 3.5 etc. Also utilize Sandboxie and Proxomitron.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: PDF's do not open with IE8

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Working just fine here. Check that the plugin is present:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\nppdf32.dll
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\nppdf32.dll"

It is not, but after I un-installed PDF-XChange Viewer and re-installed it the problem with IE8 has disappeared?

Thanks

laopa
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

IE doesn't uses plugins, so, it has no reason to place anything into Plugins subfolder or IE :wink:
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

This is really weird but now with IE8, I can either run IE7Pro and PDF-XChange Viewer will not open PDF's OR I can have PDF-XChange Viewer open PDF's and IE7Pro will not work???????

Depending on which I un-install and re-install first. At the moment I have just re-installed IE7Pro and now PDF-XChange Viewer will not open PDF's.

Firefox does not run IE7Pro of course so PDF-XChange Viewer always works.

Is is really possible that there in some strange cross conflict between IE7Pro and PDF-XChanger Viewer??

Stumped and amazed.

laopa
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

In fact, there seems to be a problem with build 42.6. In my case, it's nothing special with IEPro. Something seems to be buggy in the procedure to register the ActiveX plugin for IE!

If I execute the viewer (and therefore, it tries to register the browser plugin), the registry key

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects
will be deleted. Since this key holds the information about the installed BHOs, this removes all Browser Helper Objects (and not only IEPro) from IE!

I'm using WinXP, SP3, 32bit with IE8, Viewer version is 42.6.
If you need any further information, please let me know.

Regards, Michael
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I feel a little saner now that is not just me.

Weirder thing though, I reset the default PDF Reader to Foxit Reader and then restarted IE8 and guess what, that also killed IE7Pro as well.

Back to IE8 with PDF-XChange Viewer and a dead IE7Pro for now.

Every thing was fine up until about a week ago ..... no idea what the conflict is and where it came from.

Thanks

laopa

System specs in first post.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Oops. Unfortunately, here really there is an annoying bug.
This bug will be fixed in the next build(upcoming, will be today or tomorrow). Please wait for update.

Best
Regards
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

@laopa:
The problem will occur, everytime you execute PDF-XChange Viewer, while "Display PDF in Browser" is checked in "Edit -> Preferences -> File Associations".
If I uncheck this option, the viewer won't try to register the plugin anymore and therefore, it should work as before if all BHOs were installed correct.

So - to fix your problems:
- Uncheck this option
- Register the other browser plugins again
For IEPro, open a console, navigate to the installation directory and run "regsvr32.exe IEPro.dll" to register the plugin again.
I can't tell you a quick way for Foxit, since I don't use it, but a new installation should do it in any case.

Wait for the next update of PDF-XChange Viewer, and check the "Display PDF in Browser" option again, after installing the update, to be able to use the viewer's plugin with IE.

@Vasyl:
Thank you for the quick response. I'll wait and test again with the new version.

Kind Regards, Michael
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Thanks heaps BigMike. Good sleuthing and great advice and it works like a charm. IE8 now has IE7Pro working, although the "in browser" PDF tool has returned to Foxit Reader.

Firefox was never a problem for me but then it may just be because I did not know what was going on in the background. That now has also returned to using Foxit Reader as the "in browser" PDF tool.

If I un-installed Foxit Reader ....... what would happen???

Anyhoo, works for me for now and I look forward to the update to PDF-XChange Viewer and setting it back as the default "in browser" PDF tool.

Thanks all and in particular BigMike and Vasyl.

laopa
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

laopa wrote:Firefox was never a problem for me but then it may just be because I did not know what was going on in the background. That now has also returned to using Foxit Reader as the "in browser" PDF tool.
There are different plugins provided for IE and Firefox (because the realization of plugins in the browsers is different) - having problems with one browser doesn't necessarily mean, that it will work in no browser. Especially in this case, the browser helper objects are IE specific. I didn't notice this problem either, because I'm using Opera as primary browser...

I know, that there's the possibility to set the handling of different file types in the Firefox preferences. So it should be possible to select the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin there. Since I'm not using Firefox, I can't give you an explicit instruction, where to find this preferences.
laopa wrote:If I un-installed Foxit Reader ....... what would happen???
If you don't have another plugin (e.g. from Adobe Reader) to handle pdf files in browser, you will get the standard download dialog as for zip files for example.

Regards, Michael
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Just for your information: With new build 42.7 the problem is gone!
All works fine here.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

We are also happy to hear that Mike :)

Cheers,
Stefan
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Downloaded 42.7 late yesterday and everything appears fine. Browser IE8, with IE7Pro and PDF-XChange Viewer - plus Browsers Firefox, and even Lunascape with PDF-XChange Viewer.

I must need to reset something with Opera (10.1) as it still defaults to Foxit Reader?

Anyhoo.

Thanks all.

laopa
Last edited by laopa on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Hm, normally it works fine with Opera. But you can also change it manually.
- Go to the Opera preferences (Tools -> Preferences or press Ctrl+F12),
- select the "Advanced" tab, then "Downloads" on the left,
- now enter "pdf" at the top or search through the file types in the list for the file extension pdf
- Select the pdf entry and click on "Edit",
- at the bottom the option "Use plugin" is already selected. Click on the drop-down button and select "PDF-XChange Viewer"

If you can't select "PDF-XChange Viewer" in this drop-down menu:
- close Opera,
- start the Explorer and navigate to the PDF-XChange Viewer installation directory,
- copy "npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll"
- navigate to <Opera installation directory>\program\plugins
- paste the dll
- start Opera and repeat the procedure from above.

Regards, Michael
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Brilliant! Done (first option worked perfectly), now Opera works fine with PDF-XChange Viewer.

Yet another thank you Michael.

Kind Regards

laopa
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Many thanks for your community-minded involvement Mike, :)

Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi and Oops,

I'm still running 42.7 and it is back and I can no longer open PDF's in IE8 with PDF-XChange Viewer and IE7Pro.

Firefox, Opera and Lunascape5 are all OK but not IE8 with IE7Pro?

No idea?????

laopa
Last edited by laopa on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Maybe IE7Pro is a reason ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Maybe?

Time-line was that I only noticed this morning (03/11/09) that PDF-XChange Viewer was not working with IE8 and IE7Pro. Since last Thursday and the 42.7 update everything had seemed OK.

Then I had a notice about an IE8 Update today from Bill at MS (or was it the other crazy guy?). Downloaded and installed it and rebooted, but PDF-XChange Viewer still did not work in IE8.

Re-installed PDF-XChange Viewer over the top of the updated IE8 with IE7Pro, rebooted and now it all seems to work again.

Let's see tomorrow.

The problem of IE8 and PDF and other Browser related files is all over the Internet (try a search) it seems to be an IE8 problem that MS apparently has no interest in fixing (how typical).

I will get back after I reboot tomorrow but I do not hold out any great hopes.

Tiresome Work-Arounds seems to be the only solution at present.

Help anyway????

laopa
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Next day, I reboot my system, IE8 can now Not open PDF's with PDF-XChange Viewer. All other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Lunascape5) are OK with PDF-XChange Viewer.

Now if I open PDF-XChange Viewer and un-check Edit > Preferences > File Associations > Display PDF in Browser, all Browsers including IE8 revert back to the other PDF reader I have installed on my system, Foxit Reader, and then IE8 will open PDF's with IE7Pro on board and Foxit Reader as the default???????

So, me thinks there must be something going on between PDF-XChange Viewer, IE7Pro and IE8 that ain't kosher??

I need to figure out how to disable IE7Pro at opening of IE8 to see if the problem remains. Un-installing IE7Pro is one option .... I vote for disable, if I can do it.

Then it may just leave IE8 and PDF-XChange Viewer as the seemingly feuding couple.

I do not know what the heck is the problem ... that is why I am here in this revered place.

Help......................

laopa
Last edited by laopa on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Select "Manage Addons" in the tools menu of your IE to get a dialog to manage your installed addons.

But I haven't got any problems with PDF-XChange and IEPro since I've done the latest update.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Mike,

[quote]Select "Manage Addons" in the tools menu of your IE to get a dialog to manage your installed addons.[quote]

Glad you are still there.

So I select "Manage Addons" and then ??

PDF-XChange Viewer is not listed anywhere in that option of IE8 I can see? Should it be?

I also use Sandboxie for web surfing but even opening IE8 outside that environment does not change the problem with opening PDF's in IE8 with IE7Pro and PDF-XChange Viewer.

Could it be a Firewall, Anti Virus, Anti Adware, Anti Malware issue? See system specs in first post.

I'm stumped .. and although that does not take much .. I don't tend to give up too easy.

What basic settings do you use in IE7Pro ... could this be an issue of pop-ups, ad-block, or java?

Then why the heck does Foxit Reader works when PDF-XChange does not???

Hope I can solve this annoying problem.

laopa
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

laopa wrote:So I select "Manage Addons" and then ??

PDF-XChange Viewer is not listed anywhere in that option of IE8 I can see? Should it be?
I'd say yes - because all plugins should be shown there - but it isn't shown here, too...
The IEPro Addons are "IE7Pro Preferences", "IE7Pro Grab and Drag" (I've disabled this one, because I don't use the grad & drag feature) and "IE7Pro BHO".
laopa wrote: I also use Sandboxie for web surfing but even opening IE8 outside that environment does not change the problem with opening PDF's in IE8 with IE7Pro and PDF-XChange Viewer.

Could it be a Firewall, Anti Virus, Anti Adware, Anti Malware issue? See system specs in first post.
It's possible, since Anti Adware and Anti Malware software monitors installed browser plugins and removes malicious plugins. Maybe something was blocked or accidentally removed.
laopa wrote:What basic settings do you use in IE7Pro ... could this be an issue of pop-ups, ad-block, or java?
I'm using the basic functions, ad-block, spell checking, privacy tools and the in page search.
laopa wrote:Then why the heck does Foxit Reader works when PDF-XChange does not???
I don't know - maybe it's also a problem with Foxit Reader and PDF-XChange Viewer both trying to be the default applications for pdf. I didn't read about it with Foxit - but I know, some people here had problems with Adobe Reader.

As I told you, it's possible to register IEPro manually, this is also possible for the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin.
Just close Internet Explorer, open a console, navigate to the installation directory of PDF-XChange Viewer and run "regsvr32.exe PDFXCviewAx.dll" and "regsvr32.exe PDFXCviewIEPlugin.dll" to register the plugin.

Maybe you want to try this.

Regards, Michael
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Sorry but I have been off trying to solve a "non existent" usb external hdd issue.

I have exactly the same 3 IE7Pro Addons but no PDF-XChange Viewer.
... open a console, navigate to the installation directory of PDF-XChange Viewer and run "regsvr32.exe PDFXCviewAx.dll" and "regsvr32.exe PDFXCviewIEPlugin.dll" to register the plugin.
This is where I get lost. "console = command prompt?" "navigate to the installation directory" really need "baby steps" ..... sorry, I never said I was very bright.

However if I use Windows Explorer or in fact XPlorer2 and then go programs> tracker software>pdf viewer>pdfcviewax.dll, then right click and then click on the "register this component" option I get the error message "regsvr32 Load Library (bunch asian characters) failed. The specific module could not be loaded". Same deal for pdfxcviewieplugin.dll.

Hear from you when you have time and still need to fix this.

Thanks

laopa
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

I'm not using XPlorer2 and probably therefore don't have such an right click entry. I'll give you a step by step instruction.

Yes - the console = command prompt. And you'll need to have administrator privileges to register dlls.

ok, open the command prompt.

Navigating: "cd .." will bring you one level up, "cd \" will bring you to the root level e.g. "c:\" for a subfolder on drive c. "cd "directory name"" will bring you to the subfolder "directory name" - note, that the " around the directory name will be needed if the directory name contains spaces. Drives can be switched by typing "c:" for drive c, "d:" for drive d... For auto completion, you can use the tab-key.

In your case

cd \ 
cd programs
cd "tracker software"
cd "pdf viewer"
should do it if your windows user profile directory and your programs directory were on the same drive. It depends on your system configuration.

In this directory, type

regsvr32 pdfxcviewax.dll
regsvr32 pdfxcviewieplugin.dll
Just for your information: It should do the same, what your context menu entry is intended to do. Missing " and directory names containing spaces sometimes lead to problems with context menu entries. So I guess the linked command for this context menu entry is "regsvr32.exe %1", which will work fine if path and filename don't contain spaces. Actually it should be "regsvr32.exe "%1""

Regards, Michael
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Michael,

Below is how my command prompt screen appeared and the path I followed. Did not look exactly like you presented but it seems to work. The XXXXX are me of course.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX>cd\

C:\>cd Program Files

C:\Program Files>cd Tracker Software

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software>cd PDF Viewer

C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer> ------

----- at this point I entered the details of the two dlls, one after the other.
regsvr32 pdfxcviewax.dll
regsvr32 pdfxcviewieplugin.dll
I received confirmation that both had been registered and now everything seems to be OK. IE8 + IE7Pro + PDF-XChange Viewer working together.

Issue may be what happens when I reboot ..... but that is another day away or a system crash.

Thanks again and if the boot is OK tomorrow I will go away now. Otherwise ...... see ya.

laopa
Last edited by laopa on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Couldn't resist it. Rebooted and IE8+IE7Pro + PDF-XChange Viewer are still a go. Yeah! Opera works fine also and so does Lunascape5. Yeah!

Firefox did not. Boo! Mucked around a lot with Firefox options and then looked, probably where I should have looked in the first place, at Foxit Reader (the other PDF reading utility on my system).

Made sure that Foxit Reader was not set as the default PDF Viewer and then wandered through the rest of the setting in Foxit Reader until I came across > Display in Browser, which of course was checked. Dumb! Unchecked it and now everything seems to be fine with all browsers.

Guess some of the problems but not all, me thinks, were the result of the inevitable clash between two PDF utilities set to be displayed in the browsers, at the same time.

With a bit of luck ... I am out of here. Until next time, of course.

Many thanks again for your assistance and patience.

Hope everybody else learned something from this as well.

laopa :roll:
Last edited by laopa on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Glad it got figured out, laopa.

Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

And now it does not work again.

Have done nothing, been surfing with FireFox went back to IE8, cause I am paranoid, tried to open a PDF file and "what the heck" it does not open PDF's with PDF-XChange Viewer again!!! :oops:

Tried a number of web sites and a number of PDF's but no go.

Un-check "Display in Browser" in PDF-XChange Viewer and re-check in Foxit Reader and now IE8 will open PDF's with Foxit Reader.

I don't want to use Foxit Reader.

Will try un-installing Foxit Reader and see

No idea

laopa : :!:
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

OK, this is nuts but may be yet another part answer.

I un-install Foxit Reader. Do not reboot and then close IE8 and reopen it. Go to site where I know I should be able to open a PDF. I click on the link ........... the download window opens (Free Download Manager) which has not happened before, I close that and then other window opens and asks if I want to open or save the link. I click open and the PDF opens with PDF-XChange Viewer in a separate window and then another small window opens and asks if I would like to open this PDF in my browser, I click yes.

Then in IE8 the top yellow "Active X" warning bar states that something wants to install a PDF-XChange Viewer Plug-In, I click yes and choose, for all web sites.

Abracadabra the PDF opens in IE8 with PDF-XChange Viewer.

At no other time has that ever happened before, where I have been asked to allow a PDF-XChange Viewer Plug in to be used/installed, and there is still no PDF-XChange Viewer Plug showing in IE8 > Tools > Manage Add-ons.

Then studiply I close IE8 and try again. Back to nothing, PDF-XChange Viewer does not open PDF'f again and I have now uninstalled Foxit Reader ....@#@!$%^&*&^%$#@!

Am I the only one out here with this weird stuff going on?

Not gone away yet, after all. :cry:

laopa
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Hi laopa,

I'm not sure, what's exactly the problem. Since it seems to be connected to Foxit and PDF-XChange Viewer both trying to be the default pdf application, maybe you should also uninstall PDF-XChange Viewer once again. Do a reboot to be sure, that all related files are really removed (files in use should be removed at a reboot of the system). And now install PDF-XChange Viewer again. Since Foxit isn't on your system anymore, all plugins should get registered properly and this should be permanent since no other pdf viewer will try to change this - in case, there are no other pdf viewers installed on your system anymore.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Michael,

Done. Removed both Foxit Reader (again) and PDF-XChange Viewer with Revo Uninstaller, on highest setting.

Rebooted, and then downloaded a fresh copy of PDF-XChange Viewer (Version 2 [Build 42.8])

Installed it and everything looks OK, so far. All browsers, IE8, Firefox 3.5.5, Opera 10.1 and Lunascape 5.1.5 now open PDF files in the browser using PDF- XChange Viewer.

I will try to control myself and not reboot to check if all is well but I have closed IE8 at least twice and it still seems to be OK.

As ever, thanks again. Lesson for all in not having Foxit Reader and PDF-XChange Viewer on the same system .... at least so far.

You will have to excuse my reluctance to claim a complete success but I have been down that road several times since I opened this post and have ended back at square one every other time so far.

Anyhoo :|

Thanks and regards :wink:

laopa
Last edited by laopa on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

No problem :) In general, Foxit and PDF-XChange Viewer should work together - at my system, Adobe Reader and PDF-XChange Viewer do. In the forum you can also find people having Foxit and PDF-XChange Viewer running without any problem. But under some circumstances, apparently, problems occur and it's not always possible to find the setting causing these problems.
I hope it will work just fine for you now.
Thanks for the hint, that build 42.8 is available!

Regards, Michael
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for your help Mike.

Best regards
Tracker Support
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Guys,

Hold the party balloons and you can blow out the candles ........... rebooted this morning with only PDF-XChange Viewer ([42.8]) on board ... no Foxit Reader and PDF-XChange Viewer will not open PDSF's in IE8 (updated as of 11/11/09) ...... before and after update. :evil:

It works in Firefox and Opera but will not work in Lunascape5.1.6 when using the IE8 engine.

Lunascape5 can be run using any one of the three engines it contains, you can choose either the Trident Engine (IE), the Gecko Engine (Firefox) or the WebKit Engine (Safari and Google Chrome).

On my system PFD-XChange Viewer works with the Gecko Engine and partly with the WebKit engine (here there is a hic-up with it saying that the URL cannot be loaded but at least PDF-XChange Viewer opens) but it will not work with the Trident Engine, no WebKit hic-up and absolutely no loading of PDF-XChange Viewer.

In the MS world when I use straight IE8, the only major plug-in / add-on is IE7Pro and I do not think that Lunascape5 uses the same engine, out of IE8, it contains its own Trident Engine, which would not have IE7Pro as an add-on.

Problem appears to be, on my system anyway, a real issue between IE8 and PDF-XChange Viewer (now [42.8])

I will try to respond to Vasyl's PM, if I can figure out how to, and what role a #ICQ plays in responding.

Have considered removing and re-installing IE8 but after looking on the MS Site and looking through the advised procedures, which ends with the wonderfully helpful comment ..... "ow by the way, if it doesn't work and you end up with no browser .... contact MS Support". Yeah, based on other experiences, that is a lot like sticking your head in the t%$let bowl and yelling for help!

No idea ..................... but I cannot be the only one ................ or can I?

As always .... help :cry:

laopa
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, laopa.

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this problem on all our test configurations.
We want to resolve this problem, and we want to cooperate with you for this.
We can use TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) product (for Remote Access and Support) for detect/fix this issue on your machine.
During activity of this program you can inspect completely our activity and switch off session at any moment.
Sometimes we use this way to resolve problem which cannot be reproduced.

Please contact me (see my private message) for this.

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Hi laopa,

sorry to hear, that it's still not working.
In the MS world when I use straight IE8, the only major plug-in / add-on is IE7Pro and I do not think that Lunascape5 uses the same engine, out of IE8, it contains its own Trident Engine, which would not have IE7Pro as an add-on.
I'm not sure about this point. Probably the engine of the current installed IE is used, since the system requirements of Lunascape state, that IE 6 or newer is required and the Trident engine is proprietary. Windows provides an interface to include the IE engine into applications, so this is probably the way it's done by Lunascape.
I will try to respond to Vasyl's PM, if I can figure out how to, and what role a #ICQ plays in responding.
I'd bet, there's a reply button offered. The ICQ number gives you another way to contact Vasyl via instant messenger (in this case ICQ). This way you can establish a chat session, which will speed up things, because there will be no waiting time between questions and answers if both contacts are online.
No idea ..................... but I cannot be the only one ................ or can I?
It seems to be very specific to your system, since nobody else reports problems.

Just to summarize this from my point of view:
There were two problems on your system, when you first posted here:

1st: There was a bug in PDF-XChange Viewer's IE plugin, which prevented any other IE BHO to be used. In your case it rendered IE7Pro useless. This bug was fixed in build 42.7 - so since you've installed build 42.7/8, IE7Pro should work without any problems!? At least all is fine on my side.

2nd: Something on your system prevents PDF-XChange Viewer to register its IE plugin permanently. This is completely independent of the IE7Pro issue in my point of view. (But maybe I'm wrong...)

- First guess was, that it had something to do with Foxit Reader and PDF-XChange Viewer both trying to be the default application. Effect: Anytime you run Foxit, it will register it's own plugin and therefore, PDF-XChange Viewer plugin isn't used anymore (and maybe vice versa).
Proofed wrong - since Foxit isn't installed anymore.

- Now my second guess: You wrote, you're running IE sandboxed. This prevents IE to make any modifications to your harddrive and registry, since the sandbox prevents the IE process to have any impact on your real system.
Maybe something is needed to be written to the registry by IE in order to have PDF-XChange plugin working. This is a bit strange, since the plugin is registered by the setup or the viewer application, but may be worth a try.
Possible solution: After registering the plugin, run IE not sandboxed, try if the plugin is working. The settings should be written to your registry and next time be available and passed to IE by the sandbox.

- Third guess: Any other security software is preventing to register new IE plugins permanently. This is also a bit strange, since you had no problem to reregister IE7Pro. But do you remember anything you blocked the first time you installed PDF-XChange Viewer, which could now be blocked automatically at every install. Or do you know about any setting in your security softwares, which prevents IE settings to be altered or resets them at every reboot to the last saved values.

The problem is: It seems to work after a fresh installation - so the installation procedure seems to be fine. But with a reboot, something gets lost.

Maybe Vasyl can solve your problems, since as a developer he knows much more about the plugin's requirements and entries that needed to be set than me as a user.

Best regards and good luck,
Michael
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Huge Apology Michael,

Travel and numerous other PC issues have dragged me away from this PDF-XChange Viewer matter. Still not right that I have not responded to your feedback. Mea Culpa!

So, I have finally contacted Vasyl and maybe the remote access diagnostic approach will work.

On the Sandboxie issue I have tried running IE8 and PDF-XChange Viewer open and the same thing happens.

I agree with your analysis of potential theories and then final failures.

At the end of the day the most likely candidate may still be a security / clash issue but who knows.

The ringer here is that Foxit Reader still works fine on exactly the same system???????

Anyhoo, let's see what Vasyl can come up with.

Hopefully I will get back a bit quicker next time.

Again, sorry for my tardiness.

Best Regards
laopa
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Hi laopa,

no problem :) I hope Vasyl will find a solution.
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi laopa,

Can you please tell us all plugins/addons that you use with your IE? Usualy all of them can be found in "Manage Addons" dialog (which can be opened by "Tools->Manage Addons->Enable or Disable addons" IE menu).
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Corwin,

Thanks for the follow-up and offer of further help with this.

Here we go. I think I got all of it.

IE Add-ons
-----------

Discuss Disabled
Windows Messenger Disabled
Diagnose Connection Problems Disabled

IE7 Pro Preferences Enabled
IE7 Pro Grab and Drag Enabled

MS
-------
Research Disabled
MUWeb Control Class Enabled
InformationCardSignin Helper Enabled
XML DOM Document Enabled
Windows Media Player Enabled
XML HTTP 6.0 Enabled
Microsoft Silverlight Enabled
XML DOM Document 3.0 Enabled
XML HTTP 3.0 Enabled

----------------------------
FDMIECookiesBHO Class Enabled

IE7 Pro BHO Enabled

WOT Enabled

Adobe
------------
Shockwave Flash Object Enabled

HP
------------
GMNREV Class Enabled
Device Detection Class Enabled

Apple
----------
Quicktime Object Enabled

Sun
----------
Deployment Toolkit Enabled

RealNetworks
-----------------
Real Player G2 Control Enabled

--------------------------------------------------

That's all .... she wrote!

Hope it helps, as it was a minor pain in the $%$#^&& to hand write it all down and then type it in here.

Probably an easier way but not for me.

But who am I to complain, you are trying to help.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

laopa
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Hi laopa,

Thanks for you answer. I have tried to install all your IE plugins to see if the problem with PDF-XChange Viewer will appear. But still no luck with that - Viewer works as supposed.
Can I ask you to disable for a while FDMIECookiesBHO addin (that comes from the Free Download Manager) and then recheck "Display in browser" options in Viewer (just uncheck this option, press "Apply" button, check it again and then press "OK").

I also hope that you were using an Administrator profile while doing all the registration operations for the Viewer.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Corwin,

I think I did as you asked, but disabling FDMIECookiesBHO and rechecking Display in Browser in Viewer did not make any difference.

Did not reboot my system with those settings, maybe that would make a difference?

Yes I am in Administrator mode.

Back to you.

Thanks and keep trying, as I would prefer to use your software.

Regards

laopa
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi Corwin,

Speaking of round and round the mulberry bush. I just updated PDF-XChange Viewer to Version 2 (Build 42.9) and, as has happened before, after installing it every thing is now fine with IE8 and PDF-XChange Viewer. I had to fiddle with Firefox by un-checking Display in Browser in Foxit Reader, but now all is OK.

If it is as normal however when I reboot it will revert back to not working.

Thought I would let you know.

Also have been down the Foxit Reader road before.

Regards and Thanks

laopa
Last edited by laopa on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Laopa,

could you please let us know what happens after a restart ?

thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi John,

Exactly the same thing that happened when I updated to 42.8 and also when I clean reinstalled the Viewer before. Every thing works fine until the reboot.

Something, on my system at least, must be interfering with the proper loading of PDF=XChance Viewer into IE8 (with IE7 Pro) when I reboot??? Firefox works fine with the Viewer, before and after reboot.

Me thinks one of my secuity programs is the mosy likely ..... either Online Armor or Avira Antivir Premium.

But why only IE8?

The program elements I have listed as trusted in Online Armor for the PDFXChange-Viewer are;
  • PDFXC view.exe
    PDFXC viewAx.dll
    PDFXC viewIEPlugin.dll
    PDFXVwer_249.exe
    PDFXVwer_249.tmp
The only PDF lising above this is for;

PDF Creator

OK that's all.

It's broke again.

Thanks and help

laopa
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Hi,

After reboot, when Viewer is not shown in IE, can you please run "IEReg.reg" file which is attached to this message and report back if this helps. And try not to lunch Viewer separately while doing this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Can't seem to download the file. Just end up with a thing named File.php (at 9431 B).

Obviously doing something wrong.

OK, now I got it .... had to stop "Free Download Manager" downloading the file. Downloaded by me .... once successfully. Not 2, 3, or even more times.

I will reset the Viewer before I shut down and after reboot will run the program.

Back to you with the results ..... probably, tomorrow morning, my time.

Unless I need to reboot for something else in the meantime.

Kind Regards

laopa
laopa
User

Post by laopa »

Hi,

OK, tomorrow has dawned. MS Updated and have rebooted and run the suggested IEReg.reg Registry File. That all seemed to go OK.

Opened IE8 and guess what ..... no, sadly, nothing happened when I tried to open a PDF in the browser. Firefox was fine but still no go with IE8 and the Viewer.

No idea!

Help. :cry:

laopa