pdf opens in viewer application, not in browser

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

astro46
User

pdf opens in viewer application, not in browser

Post by astro46 »

viewer 2.42.3 ff 3.5.3
i have tried checking and not checking "open in browser".
i have deleted npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll and reinstalled.

still, when click on a link to pdf on a web page, viewer opens separately and shows the .pdf. but not within ff.

any ideas? or is this an issue that is not completely resolved (based on reading other posts)?
Cadillakin
User

Re: pdf opens in viewer application, not in browser

Post by Cadillakin »

astro46 wrote:viewer 2.42.3 ff 3.5.3
i have tried checking and not checking "open in browser".
i have deleted npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll and reinstalled.

still, when click on a link to pdf on a web page, viewer opens separately and shows the .pdf. but not within ff.

any ideas? or is this an issue that is not completely resolved (based on reading other posts)?
In FF, check tools - options - applications. You should have a "PDF Xchange Viewer Document", on the left side under content\type. On the right side, it should say; Use PDF Viewer (in Firefox). There should be no other listings for pdf files in that left column under content\type.

Also, there is a newer version of the viewer on the Tracker site, v2.42.4. See if that helps..

Try those things first.
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

Cadillakin, i am using viewer 2.0.42.4 . i had the version number wrong in my original post. though i did download and install again, just to see.

still opens in viewer, not in ff.

also, in ff application, there are 4 listings for adobe pdf type files, all set to open with pdfxchange. there is not a separate listing for 'PDF viewer'.
Cadillakin
User

Post by Cadillakin »

astro46 wrote:Cadillakin, i am using viewer 2.0.42.4 . i had the version number wrong in my original post. though i did download and install again, just to see.

still opens in viewer, not in ff.

also, in ff application, there are 4 listings for adobe pdf type files, all set to open with pdfxchange. there is not a separate listing for 'PDF viewer'.
I had a similar thing occur to me.. Read this whole thread, it's short; https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =35&t=6692 and try deleting the mimetypes.rdf file. See if that works. Take a backup of it first.. but it shouldn't harm anything.. It just gets rid of some of the miscellaneous/extra filetypes that are somehow obstructing FF. There should only be ONE reference to pdf files in Firefox applications, not four. Further, the listing under content type should say "PDF Xchange Viewer Document". Nothing else pertaining to pdf files should be in that list.

Also, close FF while you're deleting the mimetypes.rdf file or installing Xchange Viewer.
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

Cadillakin wrote:I had a similar thing occur to me.. Read this whole thread, it's short; https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =35&t=6692 and try deleting the mimetypes.rdf file. See if that works. Take a backup of it first.. but it shouldn't harm anything.. It just gets rid of some of the miscellaneous/extra filetypes that are somehow obstructing FF. There should only be ONE reference to pdf files in Firefox applications, not four. Further, the listing under content type should say "PDF Xchange Viewer Document". Nothing else pertaining to pdf files should be in that list.

Also, close FF while you're deleting the mimetypes.rdf file or installing Xchange Viewer.
i closed ff and pdf xchange , deleted mimetypes.rdf from the current used profile. now ff applications listing for adobe pdf has gone from 4 to 3, and there is a listing for 'pdf xchange viewer document' with default to open.
plus, i now get a window asking if i want to save or open before the .pdf opens in pdfxchange, outside of ff.

i guess that i will reinstate the old mimetypes.rdf. at least i didn't get the question before it opened.
Cadillakin
User

Post by Cadillakin »

astro46 wrote: i closed ff and pdf xchange , deleted mimetypes.rdf from the current used profile. now ff applications listing for adobe pdf has gone from 4 to 3, and there is a listing for 'pdf xchange viewer document' with default to open.
plus, i now get a window asking if i want to save or open before the .pdf opens in pdfxchange, outside of ff.

i guess that i will reinstate the old mimetypes.rdf. at least i didn't get the question before it opened.
No, you're making progress. On the right side of that applications window, opposite "PDF Xchange Viewer Document", use the dropdown arrow to change the action from "open", "save" or "always ask" to "Use PDF XChange viewer in firefox". Click on the actions on the right side of the window to show the dropdown arrow and dialog.
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

Cadillakin wrote: No, you're making progress. On the right side of that applications window, opposite "PDF Xchange Viewer Document", use the dropdown arrow to change the action from "open", "save" or "always ask" to "Use PDF XChange viewer in firefox". Click on the actions on the right side of the window to show the dropdown arrow and dialog.
after deleting the mimetype.rdf file, the right side of window already shows "use pdf xchange viewer (default)" . nothing to change there.
btw, i have 'show in browser' checked in pdfxchange. i also tried it unchecked. no difference.
Cadillakin
User

Post by Cadillakin »

astro46 wrote: after deleting the mimetype.rdf file, the right side of window already shows "use pdf xchange viewer (default)" . nothing to change there.
There's another option there besides; "use pdf xchange viewer default." It's "use pdf xchange viewer in firefox." Take your cursor and click on that entry, "pdf xchange viewer default" to get the dropdown with more choices. (right where the red circle is drawn)

astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

ah, perhaps that is part of the problem. i don't see that option. only pdfchange (default) and 'use adobe acrobat ( in firefox)"

i don't have adobe acrobat installed, only adobe reader.

i made an image of my menu, but can't get into this post. i don't have a url to hold images for posting.
Cadillakin
User

Post by Cadillakin »

astro46 wrote:ah, perhaps that is part of the problem. i don't see that option. only pdfchange (default) and 'use adobe acrobat ( in firefox)"

i don't have adobe acrobat installed, only adobe reader.

i made an image of my menu, but can't get into this post. i don't have a url to hold images for posting.
It is of course a conflict with Adobe - which I've known all along.. That's why you have so many pdf entries in Firefox Applications. There should only be one. Adobe does not want to relinquish it's control to the Xchange Viewer. You can disable that Adobe Reader plugin for Firefox, by going into Tools - Addons - Plugins. Choose Disable. Then once again, close FF, delete mimetypes.rdf, and restart FF.

Your application menus will have changed. Check and see if the "Use PDF Xchange in Firefox" is present.. If so, select it. With the Adobe plugin disabled and out of the way, it should be there. If not, keep Adobe's plugin disabled and reinstall the Xchange Viewer over itself. Make sure FF is closed while doing so.
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

excellent. disabling the adobe addon and deleting the mimetypes.rdf has solved the problem, with one remaining detail.:

the menus on xchange viewer, in ff, open and then close after half second. i tried rebooting computer, but no different. menus in standalone viewer are ok.

any idea how to fix this issue?
Cadillakin
User

Post by Cadillakin »

astro46 wrote:excellent. disabling the adobe addon and deleting the mimetypes.rdf has solved the problem, with one remaining detail.:

the menus on xchange viewer, in ff, open and then close after half second. i tried rebooting computer, but no different. menus in standalone viewer are ok.

any idea how to fix this issue?
I had a similar problem.. and no. I'm not sure how to fix it. I think it has something to do with other add-ons affecting the Xchange plugin within Firefox. In the thread I started here discussing the same issue, I blamed it on a custom theme that I had in FF. But later on, when I deleted that theme, I still had the problem. What I eventually did was I created a new profile in FF - a fresh start, so to speak. I added in a few add-ons, left out a few, like No Script, and when I was finished, I no longer had the disappearing menus in the Xchange plugin..

But I'm not sure which add-ons, or what particular set of interactions caused that problem.
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

cadillakin, the dissappearing menus have corrected themselves today. i had the same problem once in the past, with the same cure: time. even though i tried rebooting yesterday it didn't help. the computer was, as usual, off, over night, and this morning they work fine.

all is now well.

thanks a bunch for all your help. your speedy responses are especially appreciated!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Astro46

pleased all well - but do let us know if there is anything we can do if it appears the problems are related to our products

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com