general forum suggestions

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

astro46
User

general forum suggestions

Post by astro46 »

based on my experiences at other forums:

1. have forum remember me, at least for a browser session (cookie?), so that every time i get an email about a topic update, i don't have to log in again. and again, and again.

or better:
have the email link take me directly to the topic. you sent me the email. i think it is safe to assume that i am not an uninvited guest.

2. give a "delete the post" option under "edit" for posts. if i mistakenly post twice, or wish to retract a post, it is best to not clutter the thread with posts that have been edited to say "deleted"
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: general forum suggestions

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

astro46 wrote:1. have forum remember me, at least for a browser session (cookie?), so that every time i get an email about a topic update, i don't have to log in again. and again, and again.
You don't need to log-in every time. The forum will remember your details if you request it to.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

odd. i clicked on the link in the email notification about a response to this thread, and it took me directly to the thread. in the other thread that i am participating in, i would be asked to log in every time. i haven't changed any settings.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hey astro46,

That is odd, as I have that box checked and haven't had to login in months.

Do you remove your cookies, or have privacy software that may delete them?

Regards,
Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

Chris - Tracker Supp wrote:Hey astro46,

That is odd, as I have that box checked and haven't had to login in months.

Do you remove your cookies, or have privacy software that may delete them?

Regards,
Chris
Chris, i had to log in again to see your reply. i have firefox set to accept and retain cookies for session only, unless 'exceptioned'. i am guessing that it is a time issue. perhaps this board logs me off after a certain amount of time. i made sure to check the "keep me logged in" box this time. maybe that will do it. and add docu-track as an exception (i didn't bother with this before since i figured that i would stay logged in for the day, as long as i didn't restart browser or log off. )
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi astro46,

Try leaving you cookies set to "until they expire" that should do it I think. It's deleting you cookies after each ff session. Or there may be a cookies exception list, not sure off the top of my head but you may be able to add the tracker cookies to a list that keeps them from being deleted after your session is over.

Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

chris, i have added docu-track as an exception, which, in theory , should keep the cookies between sessions.

and i checked the 'keep me logged in ' box the last time i came here, a couple of hours ago. which should have meant that a cookie was placed on my computer, and should remain there until i close firefox. . nevertheless, i had to log in again.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi astro46,

You know I use IE for the forums and it sticks, I tried with FF and the same thing is happening to me that you are experiencing, though like you say theoretically it should do what its supposed to do based on the options selected. Let me try to tinker a bit and see if I can figure out a way to get it to stick. I'll get back to you in a bit here.

Chris

Chris Attrell
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

astro46,

I've tried 'until they expire' and I get logged in automatically, and I have tried "unitl I close firefox" w/ tracker-software.com in the exceptions list and it logs me in autonmatically after I close firefox completely and run ff again. So try one of those. If that doesn't work I am not quite sure as I can get Firefox to retain my cookies and auto log me in the forums with either of the above settings. Maybe you have www.tracker-software.com in the exception list, try removing the www and log in after those settings and it ensure the log me in automatically in checked on the forum login screen. And it "should" work.

Let me know,

Chris

Chris Attrell
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

Chris, looks like it just isn't going to work for me. i have logged in a couple times, with the "save" option checked, closed and reopened ff, rebooted computer. works ok with other sites that i have set up to retain cookies, but some reason, not for docu-track (without the www. )
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

astro46,

try to open our forum with it's full link including the http://www. as sometimes it matters (and for our forums it appears so).

The reason you were able to open the link from your mail is that it was most probably a full link containing the www. part.

Cheers,
Stefan
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

stefan, my comment about not using www. refers to chris' comment about not using www. in the listing of exceptions for firefox cookies.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hey astro46,

So even the "until they expire" did not work? very odd. Have you tried in another browser?

Chris

Chris Attrell
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

chris, i didn't try "until they expire" since i wouldn't continue using it. presumeably i won't be going to the help forums alot, so i'll just accept this inconvenience. though i admit, it is intriguing, why keeping cookies from docu-track doesn't seem to work, while it does with other sites. perhaps i will remove the exception, reestablish it and see if that helps. if it does i will let you know.
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi astro46,

Sounds good, keep me posted. As when I came into work this morning turned on my machine and went to Fourms in FF and I was automatically logged in though all my other cookies were deleted except the tracker-software.com exception. Can you use the Help->Check for updates in FF maybe it's a version bug. I'm reaching...but you never know. :)

Chris

Chris Attrell
astro46
User

Post by astro46 »

Chris, i am happy to say the auto login is working. at least for the couple of times that i clicked on the link in the last response notice and after restarting ff.

i had deleted the docu-track exceptiion and remade it, typing in the name (previously i had copied it from the url). then logged in. making sure the 'keep me logged in ' was checked. so far working.
who knows, something went wrong with the exception entry?

don't worry, if it fails again, i'll let you know. :-)
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Glad to hear astro46, :)

Chris

Chris Attrell