Crash after standby with pdf on network drive

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mdv
User

Crash after standby with pdf on network drive

Post by mdv »

Hi,

Using PDF XChange Viewer 2.0 build 39.2 for Windows XP 32bit.

When viewing a pdf document on a network drive, and putting the computer to standby; after standby PDF XChange viewer will always crash (sometimes I can browse a bit, but it crashes after a while).

I guess it crashes because the open file on the network drive is giving I/O errors since the network drive had to be remounted by windows?

Is there a workaround or fix for this?

Thanks! Micha
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Crash after standby with pdf on network drive

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Micha,

Thanks for reporting this behaviour, we will investigate, but in the meanwhile please note that we have a newer version to offer (42.0) that offers new functionality, and this issue might have been solved already. Please update and tell us if the problem persists.

Regards,
Stefan
mdv
User

Post by mdv »

Hi,

Confirmed: with version 42.0 the crash still occurs.

Note that the bug is not reproducible if the computer has been in standby for a short period. It has to be in standby mode for at least 15 minutes or so.

Some more information: "instruction at 0x00a440a referenced memory at 0x05651000." "I/O error status 0xc000020c".

Thanks, Micha
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi mdv,

Ok, we'll look into it, thanks for your feedback on the matter.

Regards,
Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
jgiers86
User

Post by jgiers86 »

Hello. I am frequently running into the same problem using version 42.0. Looking today I saw that there was a new release on August 16th (v.2.042.3); does this release address this issue at all?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Without knowing specifically why this is happening - its very hard to say - but it is safe to assume that later releases are more reliable and stable han earlier ones as we benefit from user feedback and reports.

Also I would recommend a full uninstall/restart - download of the latest release and install - to ensure a clean start.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

The issue with an opened file from an network share which is no longer available remains, a fix will be not be available in the next build I am afraid.

We are working on this right now, but it require serious code changes and alot of testing after - to be sure that all works as expected.

Consequently the fix will be a little while yet and I can assure you it is being worked on and we hope to resolve it soon - but a specific date is not possible.

However, please be advised even when resolved - you will be able only to close this document - it will obviously be unusable (because the Viewer require's access to the original file for almost all operations).

thanks for your patience.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
mdv
User

Post by mdv »

Good to hear this has been worked on, thanks!

Another suggestion: could you add a 'Retry' button to that dialog that says it has to close the document; in my situation, network works again "automatically" when Windows has woken up.

Thanks again, Micha
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

I'm affraid that in general case it is impossible to do retry in such case (even regardless situation when file was altered, in which case retry is impossible at all).
All we can offer - "Reopen" button.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
mdv
User

Post by mdv »

I think that is what I meant, a "Reopen" button. It would be a shortcut for "File, Open recent, ....".

The viewer remembers the previous viewing position already, so that is more than good enough for me.

Thanks, Micha
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Micha

This button will be added into the next release. Please wait.

Best
Regards
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer