[SOLVED] "Default PDF viewer"

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Raysy
User

[SOLVED] "Default PDF viewer"

Post by Raysy »

Hello!

First I want to thank Tracker for making such a great product as PDF-XChanger Viewer! I love the "save form" feature. :D

PDF-XChange Viewer Free 2.0.39 always asks me at every start if it should be the default PDF viewer. Even if I agree, exit the program and directly restart, I will be asked again.
Pressing "Default PDF viewer" in the file allocation setting does not help either.
Even though I just started with a fresh, new, untouched Windows Vista installation (x86 Home Premium) and I never installed another PDF viewer like Adobe Reader or Foxit. Nor was Adobe Reader preinstalled by my PC manufactor (I installed from a Installation-DVD, not a Recovery-DVD with all that trial-crap).
Can you help me? Is there anything I can check in the registy?

Regards,
Michael

BTW: It would be helpful for reporting issues in English to have the option to change the program language in the settings. I installed the German version and had to re-translate those messages from the program back to English. I hope they were correct.
Last edited by Raysy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: "Default PDF viewer"

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Are you logged on to Windows as an Administrator? This is all I can think of that might prevent the default setting from being saved.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Similar anomaly happened to me but then, previously, I had Adobe Reader and Foxit installed. However, I am running XP and simply went into Explorer and changed the file type association for PDFs to PDF-XChange Viewer.

I'm not at all familiar with how to do that with Vista but there has got to be a way. After you associate the PDF extension with PDF-XChange Viewer you should be good to go.

Another thought: After you pressed "Default PDF viewer" in the file allocation setting did you then press "Apply" before pressing "OK"? It might not make any difference whatsoever but it's worth a shot.
Raysy
User

Post by Raysy »

Yes, I am logged in as an Administrator.
And I also pressed apply before the ok-button, but it it did not help either.
I associated the .pdf-files manually and switched off the "Default PDF viewer"-question.
Not like in the book, but it works. :?
Thanks for the replies :-)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

ok Thanks Ray.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Raysy
User

Post by Raysy »

I solved it! :D :D In the Windows explorer of Vista I clicked on a PDF-file. Then "Open with PDF-XChange Viewer" shows up in the turquoise bar at the top. I clicked on the little white triangle right of it. A drop down menu poped up. The entries where "Adobe GoLive CS2", "Microsoft Word", "PDF-XChange Viewer" and "Choose default program". I clicked on "Choose default program", chose "PDF XChange Viewer" and confirmed with "Ok".

Now it works. The PDF-icon of PDF-XChange Viewer is shown big without the white frame.

Regards,

Michael
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] "Default PDF viewer"

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Excellent - thanks Ray :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com