Unprintable PDF

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

irv
User

Unprintable PDF

Post by irv »

This isn't a crucial issue for me, but this PDF that is relatively small in size would totally choke my printer when I tried to print it. I was wondering if maybe someone had some insight how this could be so problematic.
Attachments
5-28-08 Adrenergic Agonists Bohn.zip
(473.36 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Windows 7 Professional x64
Mobile Intel Series 4 Graphics
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Unprintable PDF

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Please try 'Print as Image' from your printer properties and see if this helps.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Don Schmidt
User

Post by Don Schmidt »

The only problem here in printing your file was the need for the printer to hold all of the file into membory. Give it another printing try but this time wait 3 to 4 minutes for you computer to digest it.

Interesting document; our daughter is interested in medicine and I'll pass your file on to her. She is a junior in High School enrolled in the International Baccalaureate Program; A- grades!!

I hope you don't mind I share your file.
Don
Vancouver, USA
irv
User

Post by irv »

Printing as an image results at least 3 gigabytes being spooled to the printer, but I cancel the job. The error is a out-of-memory error. I was wondering why the PDF would render so large...

@Don... You're obviously very proud of your daughter, and deservedly so! I would be really impressed if she found that pharmacology lecture inspiring. :wink: If she's considering medical school, I recommend the book Becoming a Physician. If you or she have any questions, please send me a PM; I'd be happy to help if I can.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Which DPI did you use ???
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
irv
User

Post by irv »

The DPI for printing? The default for my printer is 2400, but I believe I tried it with 600 (although maybe not as an image with 600dpi). I don't know if my HP printer really does 2400 dpi or if it simulates that high resolution with image processing.
irv
User

Post by irv »

Did it print normally for you?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

It certainly did for me at 600 DPI - no problem.

what printer did you use ?
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Don Schmidt
User

Post by Don Schmidt »

If the question, "Did it print normally for you?" is for Don (me), the answer is yes. But it took ~45 seconds to load into the printing process.

I have an ASUS P5B motherboard, 2 gigs of RAM, dual core 2.4 gig cpu, HP BusinessJet 1200n printer.
Don
Vancouver, USA
Don Schmidt
User

Post by Don Schmidt »

PS PDF Viewer is set at 300 dpi

(Looked for a way to edit my previous post but didn't find a way. ???)
Don
Vancouver, USA
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

With a 2400 dpi rendered image for a Letter page this has 1.5Gb size (in RGB mode). For 300 dpi it is about 24 Mb.
About 45 seconds to render - some pages in this file are fairly complex (background for tables filled with patterns etc and drawing this background can take some time).

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Wamma
User

Post by Wamma »

I also have some documents that take an eternity to print with XChange Viewer. The problem are the tables with the filling color.
I added one page with exactly that problem.
With Foxit and Acrobat the printing time doesn't take that long. I think the reason is, that XChange Viewer does a much more precisely job here.
Maybe someone uses Fineprint. When you print the file to Fineprint, Fineprint is doing really hard to show the printed page. It shows dot after dot and line after line and takes an eternity to display the whole page, too.
Not such a problem with Foxit or Acrobat.

Here you can see how this page is building every line after line:
Attachments
j3_p15.rar
printing problem
(84.02 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
ito
User

Post by ito »

Hello

that ist fine. I realize the same problem at home for ages. I use a HP LaserJet 2100TN with 8 or 12 mb ram connected by LAN wire. So I assume, printing speed is confined by my printers network cards which should be with respect to its age a 10mbit card.
Anyway,
I found that the same PDF document with 8 pages results in a 7mb! printing job spooled to my printer and at the same time Acrobat Reader produces from the same document a 700kb job!!

How can that be?

It takes nearly a minute for my printer to process 1mb therefore I have to wait ages until 7 pages are printed :(((

So, why does Tracker X-Change viewer produce larger printing jobs in mb?
Can I influence that from inside pdf viewer?
How could I speed up printing jobs?

PS: My laserjet is capable of more but I print at 600 dpi, faster printing with original HP driver software HP LaserJet 2100 Series PCL 6 V4.27.2100.410.
ito
User

Post by ito »

Hello staff

can you answer why:

Why does Tracker X-Change viewer produce larger printing jobs in mb?

4 pages document:

http://www.blm.de/apps/documentbase/data/de/summary.pdf

PDF XChange Viewer: 1.47 MB
Adobe Acrobat: 182 KB !!!
irv
User

Post by irv »

Is there a way to adjust the DPI of what is printed when printing as an image? My printer driver does not allow printing at less than 600 dpi. Each page when printed as an image is about 90 MB.

I believe the previous post was right when talking about table fill color. I notice a delay in rendering.
irv
User

Post by irv »

I'm still curious about adjusting the DPI of the printed image, but I have a couple other things: is a Postscript or PCL printer driver recommended for XChange?

Also, I very recently noticed I had to open tcp port 9100 in Windows firewall for more reliable printing over IPP.
ito
User

Post by ito »

Well

at least I hoped to get an answer if not a solution :(
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

PDF-XChange viewer hasn't native support PS (at least for now). For printing we are using GDI+ if "Print as image" option isn't set.

About port 9100 and Windows Firewall I had answer you into another topic where you had post the same.

ito
User

Post by ito »

Hello Ivan

can you be so kind and dare to clarify what that means according to the printjob's size?

Because I am pretty sure that the slowness I recognize while printing at home is due to the size
of the printjob. This is so because my old HP laserjet is only capable of 10bit LAN. So every byte
matters if you want so.
I am using HP's latest PCL driver under Windows XP.

So, you are saying there is a difference in printing 'as immage' (set in xchange and the printer driver) and not?
What is the difference? Can you tell me please?
Does that setting improve printing speed?

thank you
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Because I am pretty sure that the slowness I recognize while printing at home is due to the size
of the printjob. This is so because my old HP laserjet is only capable of 10bit LAN. So every byte
matters if you want so.
Not exactly, 10Mbits LAN means throughput about 1.2 MBytes/s, and even when one job size for one page is 10 MBytes, it will takes about 8-9 seconds to transfer.

Slow printing has another reason. We are using GDI+ for printing and as I can understand now it makes some processing before sending job to the printer. And speed of the printing is very depends from printer's driver. As example, I have a document on every page of which there is just one 1bpp image, but it is transparent. Viewer draws this on GDI+ as 8bpp paletted image with transparent palette items. When I print this file on the Epson C2600N printer with PS driver, job size for each page is about 11.2 MBytes. This printer uses 100Mb/s LAN, so, it is about 1 second for transferring job to the printer. But printing of one page takes about 1 minute. And I cannot imaging what printer makes in this time.
I had change algorithm a bit, and instead of using 8bpp transparent image, had sent 1bpp transparent image (it is about 8 times smaller in size). And... print job again is 11.2 MB !!
Then I had send 32bpp image with alpha channel. And again job size was 11.2 MB.

For now I cannot understand what GDI+ sends to the driver and what driver does. Non PS driver for the same printer makes job much smaller and prints it as fast as printer's hardware allows.

One thing I can see here -- we need to rewrite printing part without using 'black-box' called GDI+.

ito
User

Post by ito »

Thank you very much Ivan!

So,

I must recognise it is time for me to get rid of my printer :) At least it is a pretty nice one but also old and I think if I get my hands on less old one
I will have less problems concerning time while printing.
For your information, my printer is HP laserjet 2100TN and those boxes are as far as I know 8 years old or so.

I wish you a good start into a new week

ito