Entries in "Recently used files"

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BigMike
User

Entries in "Recently used files"

Post by BigMike »

It's just a little thing disturbing me.
Could you consider to change the format, the items are shown in the "Recently used files" list from path\filename to filename.

This would make the list more simple and transparent. To be able to distinguish files with the same filename, you could add the path to an additional entry in the appearing tooltip.

Thank you for your time
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I agree. I think your suggestion to add the path to the tooltip preview is a good one.

We do not need usually need to know the path, though we do sometimes, for example when we download PDF files into the Temporary Downloads folder, then modify them and save them to My Documents.

File paths can be very long, and this means that it takes longer to find the file you need in a long list. Fifty files, each with long paths is a lot of text to scan.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

How about the path to the first folder + the last folder+file name - e.g.:

C:\Myfiles\....\PDFs\Afilename.pdf
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In my case, the path is not usually required at all so I would prefer it to be only on the preview/info pane. I store new files always in the same place, and older documentation that is organised elsewhere is rarely referred to.
Trunacting the path would not help much at all, and anyway would still be very long:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bhikkhu Pesala\My Documents\Portable Documents\Unicode Character Sets\Filename.pdf would become C:\Documents and Settings\..\Unicode Character Sets\Filename.pdf, which would not be very informative. If you want to truncate the path, then do it properly, showing just the drive + last folder + filename:

C:\..\Unicode Character Sets\Filename.pdf
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

It's the same for me - all the items in the recent file list start with my user profile directory, so showing the 1st directory doesn't give any additional information at all, but makes the entries long.
Showing the last directory would give some more information, in my case since I'm having many subdirectories in "My Documents" and on my Desktop (where most of my pdf's are located) - and you could probably recognise the temporary files Bhikkhu Pesala mentioned with one glance!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Entries in "Recently used files"

Please check out the changes made in build 2.0037.1 today

thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I updated my review for the latest update, but as the updated screenshot (above) shows, it really is no more informative. The last directory is more useful than the first, which I think for most users will be Documents and Settings.

Drive + Last Folder + Filename is the best solution IMO.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

We are using intrenally the Windows API function to draw text with ellipsis (flag DT_PATH_ELLIPSIS into DrawText API function), so, for now we cannot control this I am afraid.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Wamma
User

Post by Wamma »

It would be nice if the pinned files could stay on top in the list. But it's not very important.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

We are using intrenally the Windows API function to draw text with ellipsis (flag DT_PATH_ELLIPSIS into DrawText API function), so, for now we cannot control this I am afraid.
Thank you for looking at this. It was just an idea - if it's hard to change that, it's probably not worth doing so. Probably you'll also find users, who like the file paths and find them absolutely usefull...
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for your understanding Mike.

Best regards
Tracker Support