Path Length Limitations on PDF_XChange Viewer

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ghalper
User

Path Length Limitations on PDF_XChange Viewer

Post by ghalper »

I have a user who is having an issue accessing files with long file names from a file share with an even longer path name. When trying to open a file from Windows Explorer sometimes it works, and sometimes is doesn't.
What I generally see is that when it doesn't work the combined filename and path are over 230 characters (with lots of spaces in both the path and the filename), yet the same files can be opened via PDF-Editor (right mouse, open with...), with no problem.
Any suggestions, or ways to identify which path/filenames would be likely to see this?
Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Path Length Limitations on PDF_XChange Viewer

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, ghalper

The Viewer has been discontinued for over a decade at this point, and it is expected for some issue to arise with it use by now. This one however is a limitation of windows, generally speaking there is a limit somewhere near the 260 character mark for path names and at that point windows itself can struggle. With the Editor we went to extra lengths to ensure that the total number of characters in a path would not pose any problems, but the same cannot be said for the viewer.

As such this is to some degree, an expected issue, and the only solution I can offer is to shorten your path's or migrate over to the Editor which properly handles the longer paths.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com