How can I select text in this pdf file?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tim126
User

How can I select text in this pdf file?

Post by tim126 »

I have a pdf file, and can't select the text in PDF-Xchange Viewer. The cursor doesn't change to the selecting icon, when I hovers it above the text. When I click and drag the cursor over a text region, it doesn't pick up any text. See the screenshot below.

When I open the pdf file in evince (a pdf viewer in Ubuntu), I can select the text in it.

I was wondering how I could select text in the file in PDFXChange viewer?

Can I fix the file first, before PDF-XChange viewer can allow me to select text in the file?

I am attaching the file in this post.

Thanks.

I run PDFXChange Viewer (version 2.5, and build 312.1) in Ubuntu via Wine-4.0.3.
Screenshot from 2021-04-09 20-35-00.png
100.pdf
(47.77 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: How can I select text in this pdf file?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

It seems like the problem is only there for this specific document. It is a document with scanned text (image) and a text-layer.

PDF-XChange Viewer (latest version and used in Windows 10) can not select the text in (the current version of) your PDF.

Because PDF-XChange Viewer is no longer supported by Tracker Software, I am afraid that this problem is not going to be resolved.
The advise is to use PDF-XChange Editor in case you like to be able to select the text in the specific document.

Work-around : re-OCR the PDF with PDF-XChange Viewer : Document-menu > OCR-pages... , and save the PDF again.
After this, you will be able to select the text.

See your attached PDF with renewed text-layer.
Attachments
100_reocred.pdf
(558.71 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How can I select text in this pdf file?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Willy Van Nuffel

Thank you for offering this helpful advice, I hope it help! I will be closing this topic now, as the solution provided does correctly advise an upgrade to the Editor, now that the Viewer has been discontinued.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com