PDF-Viewer on Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer network not working  SOLVED

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

major4579
User

PDF-Viewer on Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer network not working

Post by major4579 »

I know PDF-Viewer is no longer supported but it still works well for my users, until now.

I'm setting up a Windows 10 Pro (Build 2004) Peer-to-Peer small network. One computer acts as a server (no one works there) and an internal drive is shared with "Everyone" with full rights. A drive letter is mapped to the share. All programs I've tested have no issue with this except PDF-Viewer. PDF-Viewer does not recognize the mapped drive:

If I double click on a PDF file on the local hard drive, it opens the file as expected.
If I open File Explorer and navigate to the drive letter (in this case X:) and double click on a PDF file, PDF-Viewer opens but it does NOT open the PDF file.
If I open File Explorer and navigate to the share via UNC (in this case "\\MAIN\data\scans") and double click on a PDF file, PDF-Viewer opens the file as expected.

Another thing I notice is that if I open PDF0Viewer and go to File -> Open, it does NOT show the mapped Drive letter. only the local drive letters.

To reduce this issue to it's simplest, I went to the MAIN computer (the one acting as a server) and mapped the same drive letter to the share. The same thing happened, in this case used the exact same PDF file:
Navigate to the local shared drive (E:\scans) and it works
Navigate to the mapped drive (X:\scans) and it doesn't work
Navigate to the UNC drive (\\MAIN\data\scans) and it works

So this eliminates any physical networking issues, and probably any firewall issues.

BTW, this worked fine under the same setup with Windows 7.

Any idea how I can get this to work?
TIA,
Marc
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Viewer on Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer network not working

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Marc,

thanks for the post and report.

Are you using the latest version of the Viewer? 2.5.322.10 is the most recent build we have of the Viewer.

It should function with mapped drives:
image.png
As a matter of interest, does the Editor "see" the mapped drives? Even the Portable version, without Windows integration should be able to do that.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXEdit8_Portable.zip

The most common reason to see what you have described, is the Editor (or in your case Viewer) running with different privileges from the user who has the mapping. Do you have any custom options to the executable,like run as admin or similar?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
major4579
User

Re: PDF-Viewer on Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer network not working

Post by major4579 »

My PDFXChange Viewer is Ver 2.5 (Build 322.10) which I;m assuming is the latest version.

I tried "Run as Administrator", but it still could not see the network drive

I downloaded the Portable Editor you linked to and that sees the network drives fine.
image.png
image1.png
Both programs were run by the same user with the same permissions on the "Server" computer with the network mapped drives mapped to local shares.

I also tried setting the compatibility mode for PDF Viewer to Win 7 - still doesn't see the network drives.

The same user that mapped the drives is running the software.

Thanks for the ideas but nothing worked.
-Marc
major4579
User

Re: PDF-Viewer on Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer network not working  SOLVED

Post by major4579 »

ALL FIXED.

I realized I hadn't done one trouble shooting step. I completely uninstalled PDF-Viewer (Exporting my settings first) using Revo Uninstaller - which finds and removes most leftover registry entries, files and folders.

Rebooted.

I then downloaded a fresh copy (.EXE) and installed that.

Rebooted.

I imported my settings and everything's working as it should. PDF-Viewer can now see Networked drives by letter.

How do I mark this as solved?

Thanks for your help and sorry I didn't try that first!
Marc
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

PDF-Viewer on Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer network not working

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com