[Feature request] ability to insert an Image into PDF

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ruudboek
User

[Feature request] ability to insert an Image into PDF

Post by ruudboek »

It would be great if it would be possible not only to be able to insert text into pdf's but pictures (images) aswell.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

No, for now PDF-XChange viewer doesn't support inserting images into the PDF files. This feature will be added a bit later into the viewer.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

Fantastic!
Great support by the way, very refreshing to meet an organization that you can communicate with in this direct manner :D
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Just to clarify - this will be in the PRO Version of the Viewer (in progress now) - and there will be a modest charge for this version which will offer considerable extended functionality.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Just to clarify - this will be in the PRO Version of the Viewer (in progress now) - and there will be a modest charge for this version which will offer considerable extended functionality.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

I am sure that a small fee will be totally justifiable, but there is a huge impediment in software being available at no cost versus paid software, no matter how small the fee.

Even more so, since the main competitor of PDF-XChange Viewer is Acrobat Reader which not only is the undisputed originator of PDF, not only fully capable of certifying PDF's, but lets face fact, everybody will be comparing every program other then Acrobat Reader to Acrobat Reader because it sets the standard.
This also means that there a lot of people who will not dare to think about trying something else because they are afraid of compatibility issues.

With PDF-XChange Viewer in my opinion there are 3 very important reasons why it will be worth for everyone to give up Acrobat Reader:

1. Stability, nothing like Acrobat Reader to either slow down or keep your browser hanging. This has been bothering people for ages.

2. Speed, big issue with Acrobat Reader. The latest tests show that PDF-XChange Viewer is faster and that even without the dirty memory consuming caching tricks that Acrobat Reader fled into.

3. Editing, apparently nobody seems to know how to create proper PDF forms and almost every company is confronted with non-editable PDF files that need to be filled out.

From my opinion, if PDF-XChange Viewer keeps up with compatibility so that users "feel save" to use something else then Acrobat Reader you've got a real Acrobat Reader killer here.
That means a HUUGE userbase, millions and millions of potential customers, all within your reach.

Denying PDF-XChange Viewer the ability to add Images to PDF's could very well be denying PDF-XChange Viewer that last pull to get people over the edge to leave Acrobat Reader.

I'd say go for it completely, give PDF-XChange Viewer that edge and
make PDF-XChange Viewer the best alternative thinkable.
Please add that image option to PDF-XChange Viewer.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments - appreciated.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

Also, i would like to add that i don't think it makes sense to deny PDF-XChange Viewer the ability to add images.

First you give people to ability to fill out forms, but then you deny them the option of being able to insert an image with a signature.

Now people still need to print out the pdf to add the signature, scan the document again en sent it away.

Not a very environmentally friendly descision of you guys by the way.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The words "gift-horse" and "mouth" come to mind. :roll:

I don't think it makes sense to offer every feature in the free version, otherwise who will buy the Pro version?

If you are such an ardent environmentalist, you could always add your signature to a font.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you Bhikkhu - its refreshing to see that at least some users understand that in a commercial world - there is only so much we can do for free before the bills from the Mortgage company, Supermarket, Doctor etc etc have to be paid.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

"gift-horse" and "mouth" has got nothing to do with it, neither does what i think or want.
It's purely about what all other people really want and how you can benefit from that.

Now, i don't know about anything about your financial situation, but if you can stick it out, you may hugely benefit from this descision in the long run.

Clearly you are a commercial entity that apparently made the descision to bring out a viewer with edit options in it, thinking that you may attract people buying all other products that you have to offer.
The only descision you have to make is to offer the "Acrobat Reader" people a solution to complete their basic workflow, to make them say, hey this product really does make my life better then Acrobat Reader will ever do, maybe i should advise this program to my collegaes, friends or maybe inspire the ICT guys to finally install something different from Acrobat Reader.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you for the advice - input is always appreciated.

Best regards
Tracker Support
freedml
User

Post by freedml »

I bought the 'pro' package. I agree that not being able to insert a signature makes the 'form filling' feature of little use.

I would also like to lobby for more expanded 'overlay' and 'watermark' features. I have various forms which I 'fill' using database and spreadsheet programs. The 'watermark' feature should be able to use 'pdf' files for a watermark -- the quality with jpg or other images is not good enough and makes a very large file. The 'overlay' feature doesn't have 'profiles' to remember setups like the watermark feature. I would recommend combining the advantages of both into one area.
Michael
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

"Now, i don't know about anything about your financial situation, but if you can stick it out, you may hugely benefit from this descision in the long run."

And the benefit (in financial terms) is?
You know, I would like Porsche to give me the smallest of their cars for free. Wouldn't that be a wonderful marketing idea? Everybody would want to have the same thing, wouldn't they? But will they buy even as much as an upgrade to the CD-player?

By the way: what other products from Tracker have you bought so far to support their effort? If your marketing strategy for Tracker really works, you should have licensed all their other products by now ....
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

How much products did you buy from yahoo? My guess is none, but i bet that you probably have used it freely at least once.
Now there is bid on the table of 44.6 billions dollars, not bad for a freebee huh?
Can you imagine, yahoo isn't even the biggest one in the market, that's google.
Even second place is still not that bad after all, wouldn't you agree?
The same goes for PDF-XChange, only cheer numbers count, the rest will follow and yes, then i am talking about sponsoring and advertising.
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

ruudboek wrote:How much products did you buy from yahoo? My guess is none, but i bet that you probably have used it freely at least once.
Now there is bid on the table of 44.6 billions dollars, not bad for a freebee huh?
Can you imagine, yahoo isn't even the biggest one in the market, that's google.
Even second place is still not that bad after all, wouldn't you agree?
The same goes for PDF-XChange, only cheer numbers count, the rest will follow and yes, then i am talking about sponsoring and advertising.
If it's so easy, why don't you open your own business giving away products for free? You seem to suggest that plastering some ads all over the Reader will provide substantial revenue? Work out your marketing plan and let me know, I might want to invest into your business.

You didn't answer my question: how much revenue did Tracker make from you?
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

Apparently foxit thinks that sponsoring and advertising is an option:

http://merchant.myofferpal.com/fis2inje ... woffers.pl

Regarding how much revenue Tracker made from me, well on a scale from 0 to 44.6 billion a negligible amount i guess. ;)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

I assure you we have no plans to go down the sponsorship/advertising route....

Can you expand a litttle more on specifically what you would like to see here :
The 'watermark' feature should be able to use 'pdf' files for a watermark -- the quality with jpg or other images is not good enough and makes a very large file. The 'overlay' feature doesn't have 'profiles' to remember setups like the watermark feature. I would recommend combining the advantages of both into one area.
thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support