How to change the file icon of PDF-XChange Viewer?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Kewl
User

How to change the file icon of PDF-XChange Viewer?

Post by Kewl »

Hi,

I am trying to change the file icon, which is provided by PDF-XChange viewer. I thought there is an easy way like in Windows 7/8 but unfortunately it seems this changed with Windows 10. Please note I don't want to change the icon of the PDF-XChange Viewer program, I want to change the file icon itself:

Is there a way to do this?

Best regards,
Kewl
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to change the file icon of PDF-XChange Viewer?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Kewl,

Thanks for the post - What exactly are you trying to change the icon to? Did you want e.g. a preview of the file (thumbnail)?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Kewl
User

Post by Kewl »

Thanks for the lightning-fast response! I know it sounds a little bit stupid, but we have a laptop here which is getting accessed by different people and I already noticed that they didn't find the PDF documents because the icon is now different since I installed PDF-XChange Viewer.

Now I want to help to "search" the PDF files and therefore change back the icon to something like this:

Best regards,
Kewl
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Kewl,

This icon is usually handled by whichever application is in charge of your Thumbnails. If you have our software installed, you can use our Shell utility to change which application is handling these for PDF files: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... extensions

I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Kewl
User

Post by Kewl »

Hello Daniel,

no unfortunately it doesn't help me :(

I still want to use PDF-XChange Viewer to handle the PDF-files, but I also want to change the PDF icon XChange Viewer provides. Maybe this picture shows better what I mean:

Just a change of the icon which is provided by XChange Viewer. Maybe it is possible to override the icon from XChange Viewer?

Best regards,
Tobias
Attachments
grafik.png
grafik.png (1022 Bytes) Viewed 2237 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Kewl,

Changing the icon Windows will show for a given file type is done through Windows, and if you have the .ICO file at hand - it should be pretty straight forward.
Please search online - and you should find quite a few topics on the subject (the first 2-3 I found were offering to use some tool the website was offering, but it should be possible to do it through registry alone - so make sure you pick up the correct guide).

Regards,
Stefan