Temporary Bookmarks or Favorite panel for Navigation in large documents

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Troy_Daniel
User

Temporary Bookmarks or Favorite panel for Navigation in large documents

Post by Troy_Daniel »

A similar question has been raise here: https://superuser.com/questions/925986/ ... -documents.

All I want is the same as the above question, a favorite panel or a temporary bookmark panel that doesn't mess up the original bookmarks, which means the data isn't saved with the original PDFs, but independently.

Here I copy the content of above question:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a large pdf document. There is a large bookmarks structure in the form of a table of contents. It's helpful and I don't want to mess it.

During reading, I am constantly switching between 4 or 5 specific places, which change let's say once a few hours (depending on reading speed). The document, by its nature, requires such cross-section reading all the time. These are, for example: the text currently read (in progress), the reference text on page 455, table on page 350, a drawing on page 200.

What I'd need is a very quick way to go to these places. Navigating the big bookmarks structure is a very slow option (it takes time to find specific chapter and subchapter and then scroll to a specific page). As mentioned above, I don't want to accidentally mess the structured bookmarks with table of contents.

Currently I am using Ctrl-G to go to specific page and using a pen and paper to write down page numbers currently needed and have them in front of my computer. Perhaps using a set of flat, temporary "quick bookmarks" would be a more comfortable solution. Like e.g. Ctrl+1 go to "quick bookmark 1", Ctrl-2 go to "quick bookmark 2", etc. And of course a way to instantly edit those quick bookmarks, because they change often, like Ctrl-Shift-1 make quick bookmark 1 at current place, etc. 10 "quick bookmarks" would be more than enough. Is there any method to achieve such quick navigation?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Temporary Bookmarks or Favorite panel for Navigation in large documents

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Troy_Daniel,

Thanks for the post and suggestion - I'm afraid that this is something that appears to deviate from the PDF specification here, essentially because it defeats the purpose of the bookmarks.

There are a number of things that you could use to achieve similar results: Named Destinations; add Bookmarks to the bottom of the tree and/or change their colour via the Properties Pane; use the Advanced Search as it stores search results; use small comments on the desired pages and navigate using the Commends Pane (Ctrl + M); etc..

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com