Display PDF in Browser

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

idjones
User

Display PDF in Browser

Post by idjones »

Hi, I cannot select the Display PDF in Browser check box. I cannot select it when logged in under an administrator account, or normal user account.

I have tried using both XP and Vista.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Did you search the forum? Browser Plugins
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Oreal
User

Re: Display PDF in Browser

Post by Oreal »

idjones wrote:Hi, I cannot select the Display PDF in Browser check box. I cannot select it when logged in under an administrator account, or normal user account.

I have tried using both XP and Vista.
I too am having the same problem. I am foreced to download the file rather than open it within the broswer (IE7).
Would appreciate assistance with this-many thanks
Oreal
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Did you read this thread and the linked thread? Browser Plugins

Honestly, are you so brainless? What more assistance do you expect if you cannot be bothered read the answer given in the current thread and click a link. The browser plugin is not ready for release yet.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The IE plugin will be available into the build 0027 which should be released today.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Oreal
User

Display in browser

Post by Oreal »

Bhikkhu Pesala's reply is totally offensive. Very much out of keeping with the tone of this forum, and I am sure it will disappoint the other helpful and responsive members of this forum, who are very generous in their support for each other and show each other a great deal of respect.
I certainly read the material and was merely wondering whether the update was ready for release.
Thank you Ivan for your polite and rapid response. I will keep an eye out for the update.
Oreal
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Oreal,

I dont think Bhikkhu intended any offense - whilst he is not an employee of Tracker or in any way connected - he has been very helpful in answering some users questions even more quickly than we ourselves can sometimes attend to.

He is a Buddhist Monk by vocation - so I really do think its simply a language/context thing.

And you are right - we do try and keep th forums open and friendly - so hopefully you wont take this too heart :)

have agreat day :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Oreal
User

Post by Oreal »

Thank you for your response and explanation. I do appreciate it.
I contribute to and benefit from a number of user technical forums, and this was the first unhappy interchange.
It is an excellent forum, and it would certainly not take one unpleasant experience to discourage my high opinion of it.

I am about to "test drive" PDF-Xchange Pro as a replacement for Acrobat, and am sure that the forum's members will generously answer any issues I may have.
Oreal
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Excellent - thanks Oreal :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Unfortunately, the browser plugin seems to be buggy. The first two PDF files I tried would not load in Internet Explorer. I received a message that the document was broken.

Chanting Book

The documents are not broken. They load fine in PDF-XChange from Opera. PDF-XChange is set as my default PDF viewer. Opera is my default browser. I visited a page in IE7 and clicked on the above link to a PDF file.

Updates should be released when they are ready, not because people nag for them to be released. No release dates should be given as that only makes people nag all the more. Beta updates could be released via a private link on request so that bugs can be detected before the update goes public.

I have cancelled a couple of forum announcements about the update until this plugin is fixed.

Edit: Rebooting my PC did not fix the problem.
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

@Bhikkhu Pesala

same problem here: "Document is broken." error.
Tried rebooting, re-installing, nothing helped so far.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

We dont release products until we feel we have tested as far as we can to ensure they are as relaible as possible - but Lab testing is never sufficient in itself and its only when a product is released in the 'Wild' to as broad an audience as possible, that its robustness is truly tested - the problem you appear to have experienced is with the IE cache, we will work on this and do our utmost to improve matters as quickly as possible - as always.

As far as dates are concerned - we give our best 'guess' when asked persistently - some users prefer a best guess, some prefer none.

Its a case of being damned if you dont give a provisional date and damned if you do - we just cannot win - so we will use our best judgement and give a date when reasonable and not when we feel we cannot.

Best regards
Tracker Support
beeoffline
User

Post by beeoffline »

Hi,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
The documents are not broken. They load fine in PDF-XChange from Opera. PDF-XChange is set as my default PDF viewer. Opera is my default browser. I visited a page in IE7 and clicked on the above link to a PDF file.

Edit: Rebooting my PC did not fix the problem.
how can I do to open pdf files in Opera using Pdf-XChange Viewer plugin. Or is there another way how to use this excellent viewer in a browser.

btw. thanks for your excellent work, bcs. I'm getting still more upset with adobe reader.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

There are no plugin for Opera (there is plugin for Firefox but it is not released for now since it is in testing stage). Into the one of the next build we will release plugin for Opera browser too.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
majoMo
User

Post by majoMo »

Same here: "Document is broken."
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Pleased to advise that Build 28 is now available resolving this issue.

Please select the 'Help' menu item - 'check for Updates'

Thanks.

Best regards
Tracker Support
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

Ah yes, with version 28 the integration in browser works!
This is terrific, it feels very responsive.

I still have 2 wishes:

1. I noticed that there is an option available to either hide or show ALL toolbars, but i have not find any way to disable specific toolbars.
It would be very confenient if i could disable specific toolbars in the browser screen, because all these toolbars take up too much space in my 800x600 screen.

2. I noticed that PDF-Xchange Viewer does not remember the setting when i choose to hide ALL toolbars. The next time i open a PDF in the browser, all the toolbars are back again. Also PDF-Xchange Viewer does not remember changes in the position of the toolbars.
Could you make it so that PDF-Xchange Viewer remembers the position of the toolbars when in browser-mode?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

will add these features into the next build.

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Build 31 now available - Please select :

Help - Check for Updates :)

Best regards
Tracker Support
ruudboek
User

Post by ruudboek »

Hello Tracker support,

this is wonderful, thank you for the update!

I updated to version 31 and then tried to hide a few toolbars when in browser mode, then restarted internet explorer and went to the same pdf file on the web. PDF Xchange viewer then opened the pdf file, but regrettably, all the toolbars where back again. So it apparently did not remember which toolbars should not be visible.
Or could it be that "Save/Restoration of all settings for controls when in Browser mode" is a new setting that needs to be enabled first?
I think i looked everywhere, but i can not find it.
Could you maybe clarify on this new feature?
ChalB
User

Post by ChalB »

Hi,

Downloaded/installed Build 31 just now. If the Firefox plugin installed, it doesn't seem to be working because PDF docs are still opening outside the browser. In the File Associations area of Preferences, the Display PDF in Browser option is greyed out. Please suggest what to do next.

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Did you reboot your PC?
ChalB
User

Post by ChalB »

Yep; many times.

What is the filename of the plugin?

In what folder should the installer have placed it?

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The plugin is named npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll

It should be installed in C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\ :D
ChalB
User

Post by ChalB »

It should be installed in C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\
Did you really mean to say Opera?

My large hard disk is divided into four partitions: C:System, D:Applications, E:Data, and F:Images. PDF X-Change Viewer is installed in the D:Applications partition. A thorough search did not find the plugin file npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll in any of them. Re-installing PDF X-Change Viewer over the initial installation resulted in the plugin file showing up in the D:\Program Files\PDF X-Change Viewer\pdf-viewer folder. I have placed copies in D:\Program Files\Opera\plugins\ as you suggested, and also in D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ all to no avail.

What do you suggest?
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

ChalB wrote: Did you really mean to say Opera?
Depends :) Are you talking about Opera or Firefox :)

I'm using localized versions of Opera and Firefox, so the names may slightly differ, but

For Opera:
The file should be placed in <Opera installation dir>\program\plugins

Click on Tools -> Advanced -> Plugins in the Opera window.
Now, you get an overview about all available plugins.
There should be an entry named "PDF-XChange Viewer Netscape Gecko Plugin"
If not, Opera didn't recognize the plugin. And maybe a new installation of PDF XChange Viewer would help.
If there is such an entry, click on Tools -> Preferences, select the "Advanced" tab, there select "Downloads", there search for "application/pdf" click on "Edit..." - there select "Use plugin" at the bottom and select the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin.

For Firefox:
The file should be placed in <Firefox installation dir>\plugins

Click on Tools -> Preferences, select "Downloads"
At the bottom there's a button change download actions.
If you click on it, you get a list with file types for which a plugin is available. If there's a PDF entry, select it, click on "Change Action..." and make sure, that FireFox is configured to use the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin. If there's no such entry or you can't select the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin, it wasn't recognized by Firefox.
Maybe a new installation of PDF XChange Viewer would help
ChalB
User

Post by ChalB »

Big Mike:

Thanks for the response. My problem is with Firefox not recognizing the plugin. Opera uses it with no trouble other than that a "Demo Stamp" appears diagonally in large red letters on each page opened. It is my understanding from a post elsewhere on the forum that this will be cured in a few days. I have tried, repeatedly, all that you have suggested, but without success. I am hoping for a response from someone in Tracker Support.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

ChalB: Can you say version of the Firefox installed? And please check the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.7\extensions

Is there value named "Plugins" ?
(note numbers can be a bit different depends of the version of Firefox)

ChalB
User

Post by ChalB »

Hello Ivan

I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 installed. It is the current version.
... please check the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.7\extensions

Is there value named "Plugins" ?
There is.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
mhbmd
User

Post by mhbmd »

Thank you for the newest update! I've been waiting a while for the "Open in Browser" fix for Firefox, and now I think PDF-XChange Viewer is the best viewer available. Much better than Adobe Reader.

Kudos!
solieri.m
User

display PDF in IE7

Post by solieri.m »

Hi, I cannot select the Display PDF in Browser check box, option is greyed out. I cannot select it when logged in under an administrator account, or normal user account. I have installed PDF-XChange Viewer build 0031.
I have tried using Vista and Internet Explorer 7.
The problem is that the plug-in starts correctly under IE7 but the result is always the Xchange PDF icon in the center of the page. Thank you in advace for any help you can provide.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

Yes I am afraid we know about this issue related to IE security settings and the use of ActiveX objects.

MS are making things very difficult now in an effort to ensure secure settiings are preserved - but a consequence of this is it makes things very tough for legitimate applications and plugins.

We are working on this now and hope to have a work aroudn available very soon.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Best regards
Tracker Support
solieri.m
User

Post by solieri.m »

Many thanks for the response. I agree with the difficulty cause by Vista ...
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for your understanding :)

Best regards
Tracker Support
ashghost
User

Firefox plugin Vista

Post by ashghost »

I have the Firefox plugin working fine on my XP laptop, but I can't get it to work on my Vista desktop. The plugin is not in "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins". Since I'm guessing that it has something to do with Vista's security policy on the "Program Files" directory, I also tried running the installer using "Run as Administrator" in the right-click menu, but it changed nothing.

I'm betting this is a known issue, but I thought I'd let you know.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

I'm afraid you need to enable option "Display PDF in Browser" under Administrator account -- to handle this Viewer need to copy plugin into Firefox folder and register it into the registry.

ashghost
User

Vista Firefox plugin

Post by ashghost »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:I'm afraid you need to enable option "Display PDF in Browser" under Administrator account -- to handle this Viewer need to copy plugin into Firefox folder and register it into the registry.
I don't know why I didn't think of trying that. I copied the plugin from Win XP and pasted it in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ on Vista, and it works! Thanks, Ivan!

From what I've read online, Vista's UAC means that running something "as Administrator" can have a different outcome than running it with a default user account and then elevating it to give it administrator rights when prompted. The Firefox plugin installers from Adobe, Macromedia, and Apple work in Vista for a regular user who elevates them when prompted, so there must be a way to get around the UAC protection of the "Program Files" folder.
petitlou60
User

Post by petitlou60 »

Hello,

i have two pc's one in xp and one in vista
i use last release of pdf x change and firefox 3.0.10

with XP pdf are displaye insie firefox without problem
with vista pdf are displayed outside firefox, after checking i see that firefox plugin is not in plugin folder of firefox

to solve problem i have made a copy of npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll from viewer folder to firefox plugin folder, after restarting firefox pdf are displayed inside firefox

so my conclusion is

there is a bug in vista install which discard copying of plugin in firefox , this bug always occurs regardless of UAC setting on or off , i have also tried to make install with hidden administrator account with same result

best regards
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

Have discussed here and we dont thin k its the Vista install specifically - the problem is mroe likely related to the Version of Windows and if you have a 32/64 bit PC - can you advise which you use ?

Also specifically which of our installers you used - the MSI or exe based installer ?

Please advise which file you downloaded for the install.

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

There is an option in the Preferences under File Associations to set the display in Broweser. I just tried this with build 162 - current as of yesterday - and the FF plugin worked nicely.

Can you tell me if this fixes your problem?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America