Multiple Print Copies Doesn't work Build 24

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rumboy
User

Multiple Print Copies Doesn't work Build 24

Post by rumboy »

I have tried printing multiple copies on two different machines and two different printers and only one copy come out. We are on Build 24.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

May I ask about printers used ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
rumboy
User

Post by rumboy »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:May I ask about printers used ?
They are HP LaserJet 8000N and HP LaserJet 9040N printers going through a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 print server.

HP LaserJet 8000N on the print server is using the HP LaserJet 8000 Series PCL driver.

HP LaserJet 9040N on the print server is using the HP LaserJet 9040 PCL 5e driver.
benradu
User

Post by benradu »

Adobe Reader and (as I remember) Foxit Reader have the built-in feature to put multiple pages per sheet no mater which printer you have. This doesn't seem to be possible in PDF-X (at this moment)
rumboy
User

Post by rumboy »

benradu wrote:Adobe Reader and (as I remember) Foxit Reader have the built-in feature to put multiple pages per sheet no mater which printer you have. This doesn't seem to be possible in PDF-X (at this moment)
Sorry for the confusion...I'm talking about multiple copies of a 1 page document. So if I tell it to print 5 copies of a one page document only 1 copy comes out.
benradu
User

Post by benradu »

Sorry, I was confused. Your initial post was clear enough.
t-arn
User

Post by t-arn »

I can confirm this behavior.
I chose "Print Current Page" with 2 Copies, Collate -> 1 Page comes out
I chose "Print Current Page" with 2 Copies, No Collate -> 1 Page comes out

Tom
rumboy
User

Post by rumboy »

bump
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Is the trouble still present into the build 25 ?

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
gungum
User

Post by gungum »

Yes, the problem still exists in build 0025.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Can you make the following:

1. Pause your printer (Start -> Printers & Faxes; select your printer and then File -> Use printer offline; or File -> Pause Printing)

2. Print you document with copies number more than one.

3. While priting is paused you can open a list of task for this printer (Start -> Printers & Faxes; make double click on your printer icon; the window with tasks sheduled for your printer will be opened).

4. Select the job from the list and press right click on it. From context menu select "Properties" -- you will see printer's properties for this job. And now check the number of copies and collate option. It is just 1, or as was specified by the viewer ?

gungum
User

Post by gungum »

Ok, I never knew, that there is a special option, to set the number of copies of a document.
I just tried it with my physical Printer (HP LaserJet 2200DN) an it works like intended! It show 1 page in print job with 4 copies and I get four pages out of my printer.

Before I tried only with my PDF printer (FreePDFXP) and it does not work there. Although it shows 4 copies in the print job, it produces only one page. So this could be either a limitation of the post script file creation process, or of Ghost Script or of FreePDFXP.

Other Programs doesn't seem to use this feature and create print jobs with multiple cloned pages instead.

I can see the benefit of using the standard feature which tells the printer to clone the page, as it reduced the print jobs size, but it seems to create unnecessary trouble under certain circumstances.

If you mange to reduce the size of the print jobs to a "normal" level in general, the multiplication of print jobs file size (through page cloning on application side) would not be such a big problem.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

PDF-XChange viewer allows to specify number of copies only for printers which reports that they support such feature. Looks like FreePDFXP reports that it supports this option, but in real ignores it.

gungum
User

Post by gungum »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:PDF-XChange viewer allows to specify number of copies only for printers which reports that they support such feature. Looks like FreePDFXP reports that it supports this option, but in real ignores it.
Yes, FreePDFXP uses "Apple Color LW 12/660 PS" Printer Driver, wich support this feature. The print job is temporarily saved as a Post Script file, wich is then converted to PDF by Ghost Script. Somewhere in this Process the information about the number of copies gets lost.

I'll contact the author of FreePDFXP, if there is anything he can do about it.

If I get you right, there ist no way in PDF-XChange viewer to create a print job with multiple copies, unless the printer driver supports this feature?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Yes, there are no way to do this into the PDF-XChange viewer.