memory usuage is too much

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bluemode
User

memory usuage is too much

Post by bluemode »

this is almost the only problem of this software compared to foxit

foxit is faster and less memory used..

especially when opening files in large size

e.g. I opened a 140M pdf file using both the two softwares,
foxit uses only 40M memory, and when scrolling the pages, its memory usuage is almost the save value.
however, pdf-x-change viewer needs 150M memory to open this file, and when scrolling the pages, the memory usuage continues to increase until more than 600M, and then it crashed...
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

You can adjust memory usage via preferences
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
bluemode
User

Post by bluemode »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:You can adjust memory usage via preferences
of course I set that value,

but actually it does not work well, even I set the memroy usuage is 1% (hand input).

the memory usuage is still very high....
tornadointexas
User

VM

Post by tornadointexas »

I registered just to say that the memory usage of PDF-XChange is appalling, rivaling even firefox after a day of Youtube browsing (like 440M). It seems to get larger with the amount of time it has been open. I love the program but if this continues, I may have to actually switch back (I just had a very hard crash, because VM maxed out).

I guess I will look into the mentioned settings, but don't quite have much hope they'll work.

Edit: hooray! Since it does work, might I suggest that under Automatic controls, VM usage be limited to something reasonable, as it doesn't always have the same rigidity as physical memory?
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

Actual memory usage on my PC:

Firefox 230MB
winword 64MB
PDFXCView 62MB (3 documents open)
Outlook 32 MB
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

We will take a look at memory usage overall and if anything can be done - it will be.

However - the overwhelming feedback from most users with most document types is that PDF-XChange is faster and uses less memory than either Foxit or Acrobat - but there will always be exceptions and some documents may open stretch resources - as we are made aware of this - we will endeavour to improve performance and resource use.

Both the afore mentioned Readers/Viewers have been around considerably longer than our PDF-XChange Viewer and undoubtedly they have had time to fine tune and correct issues found in this and other areas - having said that considering our relative status as 'new kids on the block' - I do think we have every right to be very satisfied with what has been achieved so far, - particularly as we have tried (and largely succeeded I hope) in providing a free, fully featured Viewer that competes favourably in almost every area with Foxit and Acrobat that users have told us is important and added functionality that neither offer in their free products.

Thats not to say we are content with what we have - we will continue to improve and add functionality as quickly as time allows.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

Tracker Support wrote:I do think we have every right to be very satisfied with what has been achieved so far, - particularly as we have tried (and largely succeeded I hope) in providing a free, fully featured Viewer that competes favourably in almost every area with Foxit and Acrobat that users have told us is important and added functionality that neither offer in their free products.
I support that statement entirely!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Benpal - much appreciated :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
angusj
User

Post by angusj »

benpal wrote:I support that statement entirely!
Ditto. And thanks again Tracker for a great and free tool!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Build 1.27 is now available and some additional work has been done in the area of memory management which may help.

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
dekoninck
User

Post by dekoninck »

I think that XChange Viewer eats a lots of memory sometimes, but at least upon closing some documents, mem usage falls back nicely. Unlike Firefox :)