A couple of questions

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

user7
User

A couple of questions

Post by user7 »

Win XP Pro

I just found PDF-XChange Viewer thanks to PC World, and am delighted with it! :D

I'm just beginning to learn how to use it. That's going quite well, but I do have a couple of questions:

1) A PDF I'm reading has links in the table of contents to actual sections down below. For example, there's the line

9. mxDateTime Submodules.................................................32

If I click anywhere in the line, I'm dropped down to section 9 on page 32. OK, I read that section, and now I want to go back to the place in the table of contents where I came from. How to do that, other than scrolling back up?

2) Let's say I'm on page 44, and want to close the PDF intending to return later to that page 44. Is there a way to configure Viewer so that when reopened, the PDF will be at the same page as when it was closed?

Thanks
user7
User

Post by user7 »

I should have stated that I've got build 0023.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Not that I know of. You can go to the first page easily enough, or use the Bookmarks to return to the Table of Contents, but not to find a specific point, except with Go to page number.

2. Edit, Preferences, General, Reopen Document to Last View.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
user7
User

Post by user7 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: 2. Edit, Preferences, General, Reopen Document to Last View.
Yes, I had that set, but it doesn't work. Bug?
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This could be a regression. It was working before I updated to 023. Maybe others can confirm?
Knivez
User

Post by Knivez »

I confirm. All documents start on first page, even if it's set to start on last view. (build 0023)
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

yes, it is a bug introduced into build 0023, and the fix will be available in days into build 0024.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
user7
User

Post by user7 »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:yes, it is a bug introduced into build 0023, and the fix will be available in days into build 0024.
Great!
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

IIRC, the viewer used to remember the zoom level

In build 024, the viewer now remembers the page but not the zoom level. Have I missed something, or remembered wrongly?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

You need to set "Default Page Layout" and "Default Zoom" to "Automatic" to restore last used zoom level and layout.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
user7
User

Post by user7 »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:You need to set "Default Page Layout" and "Default Zoom" to "Automatic" to restore last used zoom level and layout.
OK, those settings save the page I was on (thanks!), but not the last used zoom level.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:You need to set "Default Page Layout" and "Default Zoom" to "Automatic" to restore last used zoom level and layout.
Thanks for the prompt feedback. Don't you guys get a holiday? :wink:

That worked for me. Glad to hear that it is not a bug.
user7
User

Post by user7 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Thanks for the prompt feedback. Don't you guys get a holiday? :wink:

That worked for me. Glad to hear that it is not a bug.
Are you saying that this is what worked for you?: http://www.rcblue.com/Misc/PDFXPreferences.png

For me, that doesn't restore the last used zoom level. It restores the same place in the file, but at resolution 96, I believe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Default zoom is the field above the one you highlighted. I have Default page view set to "Last used view."
user7
User

Post by user7 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Default zoom is the field above the one you highlighted. I have Default page view set to "Last used view."
OK. Thanks. For the possible benefit of others, here is what works:
http://www.rcblue.com/Misc/PDFXPreferences2.png

This strikes me as being as bit more difficult than it should be.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Into the build 0025 the behaviour is changed a bit and hope now it is more clear and logical.

On the "General" page of preferences, there is (but doesn't handled into build 0024) option "Reopen Document to Last View" which will work as expected from its name. Options on "Page Display" page will have meaning only for first time opened documents (or when the option "Reopen Document to Last View" is turned off).

Into these options "Automatic" means the value specified into the document (if such information is missing into the document some predefined value is used, for example Zoom 100% for zoom). All the rest values overwrite corresponding values specified into the document if they are.