Protect comment

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mpwhizz
User

Protect comment

Post by mpwhizz »

Is there any way that I can prevent other people from changing my comments (sticky notes etc) when they open the pdf using PDF-XChange Viewer?

Example: A pupil sends an essay as a pdf to their teacher, who puts comments into the pdf, and sends it back to the pupil. I don't want the pupil to be able to change their teachers comments.

Even if this isn't possible, the software is still great!!
Thanks
Martin
bluemode
User

Post by bluemode »

create a new pdf file, including your comment in it, and show it to others.
mpwhizz
User

Post by mpwhizz »

Sorry - I don't understand what you're suggesting. Is it not true, that if someone has the pdf-xchange viewer, they can change and delete the sticky notes put there by someone else?
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

I also had a need for this. I have a long winded way of getting over it. I create the PDF document with comments, stamps etc. I then print the document direct to another PDF file using another free program called PDF-ReDirect.
Then when the newly created PDF document is opened by any PDF viewer, the comments and mark-ups are integrated and can not be edited.

Not a great solution, I know, but it does work for me.

Not sure about sticky notes though! I think this will only work for comments and mark-ups that don't "pop up"
mpwhizz
User

Is file still searchable?

Post by mpwhizz »

Thanks for this. I've tried printing the annotated pdf to CutePdf - which acts as a printer to produce pdfs. The text boxes/typewriter come out OK and cannot be changed. (Sticky notes don't work).

I think this is because the printer driver effectively turns the content into some form of graphic. The upshot of this, is that the pdf produced by Cutepdf, is no longer searchable. Does PDF REDIRECT have the same effect?

Thanks
Martin
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Locking comment will be available into one of the next build, but for sure another user will be able to unlock it
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Re: Is file still searchable?

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

mpwhizz wrote: I think this is because the printer driver effectively turns the content into some form of graphic. The upshot of this, is that the pdf produced by Cutepdf, is no longer searchable. Does PDF REDIRECT have the same effect?
I believe that PDF reDirect also performs the printing function in the same way as you have described for Cutepdf.

When you say "Searchable", I assume you mean being able to search for the text in the comment or typewriter boxes. For this, I am sure that PDF reDirect will not give the option.

If, when you say "Searchable" you mean for the PDF basic document data, like Author, Title, Subject and entered keywords, then PDF reDirect also loses this data from the original document. There is the option to re-type this data manually and save the file with the added data, but this is laborious.

Not what you are looking for right?
mpwhizz
User

Post by mpwhizz »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:Locking comment will be available into one of the next build, but for sure another user will be able to unlock it
If I lock a comment, and you can unlock it then I'm not sure as to what the purpose of this would be.

Would it be possible for me to set a password on the comment so that you can only 'unlock it' if you provide the correct password?
Thanks
Martin
mpwhizz
User

Re: Is file still searchable?

Post by mpwhizz »

Chi Sin Wolf wrote:
If, when you say "Searchable" you mean for the PDF basic document data, like Author, Title, Subject and entered keywords, then PDF reDirect also loses this data from the original document. There is the option to re-type this data manually and save the file with the added data, but this is laborious.

Not what you are looking for right?
Correct! Given a choice, I would prefer the pdf to remain searchable, i.e. find all occurrences of a word or phrase in the document. Ivan from Tracker has said locking comment will be available in a future release - I shall wait patiently :)
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

Ivan, I tend to agree with mpwhizz. Kind of defeats the object of a lock feature if it can be easily unlocked. If you can lock with a password that would work.

Just a point: - I am loathed to criticise this program. I use it most days and I love it.
If through our bantering, we can prompt the creation of further beneficial features, then this is purely a bonus.
I have rarely seen such comprehensive software, with so many current outstanding features all for FREE.

Great work Ivan.
mpwhizz
User

Post by mpwhizz »

I still think the software's brilliant! Being able to annotate pdfs in the first place, using free software is extraordinary. No criticism intended. :lol: