How to disable "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode"

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

UNForces_885
User

How to disable "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode"

Post by UNForces_885 »

Is there a way to permanently disable the "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode" option so that it is disabled by default when any pdf file is opened instead of manually doing that.

Notes:
- The option is located under View>> Page Layout
- I am using PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5 Build 322.7
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to disable "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode"

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi UNForces_885,

Thanks for the post - In the Viewer, I'm afraid not. You can do this in the latest release of the Editor via Edit --> Preferences --> Page Display, by setting your preferred viewing options and disabling Respect document's settings. The Editor can be downloaded, for free, here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE7.zip

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
UNForces_885
User

Post by UNForces_885 »

This is really disappointing considering that it's a simple functionality that doesn't require migration to a new program with cluttered options that I won't need indeed.
I have no clue why you guys abandoned the development of PDF-XChange Viewer; it's already stood out from a crowd of viewers for its simplicity and high functionality. Such a waste of effort and time you did out there.
Thanks anyway for your response
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello UNForces_885

The menu-item "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode" in PDF-XChange Viewer is just a ON/OFF switch that is valid for all the PDF's that you open.
It just works like the other item in that same menu: "Show Gaps Between Pages".

So, if you turn it off, it will be off for as long as you do not turn it on again. By this, I also mean after exit and restart of the Viewer.

If the problem persists - I was able to reproduce this - then:

1) please check via Edit > Preferences > Page Display, at "Initial Display" if the option for the "Default Page Layout" has not been set (by coincidence) to "Continuous - Facing" (like in the print screen below). If it should, then please change this to "Continuous" or whatever else, but NOT "Continuous - Facing".

2) please check via File > Document Properties > Initial View, at "Page Layout" if it is set to "Continuous - Facing" for your particular PDFs.
This is a per document setting. If it should be set like that, then please change this specific setting to something else, like Single Page or Continuous.

Can you please give us feedback if this helps you out of trouble?

Kind regards.

NOTE: PDF-XChange Viewer indeed was and still is a beautiful application for its "simplicity and high functionality", but if I understood it correctly, its fundamentals were not strong enough to build it higher up. That was the main reason why PDF-XChange Editor was re-build from the ground up. And, if you would give the Editor a chance, to discover what it is all capable to do, you would even more appreciate it.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Viewer - Show cover page.png
PDF-XChange Viewer - Page Display.png
PDF-XChange Viewer - Initial View.png
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Thanks for providing this Willy!

UNForces_885, Does what Willy wrote help?
Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
UNForces_885
User

Post by UNForces_885 »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: So, if you turn it off, it will be off for as long as you do not turn it on again. By this, I also mean after exit and restart of the Viewer.
It's always turned on again for new pdf files. Because, for some unknown reason, this option is linked to "Continuous-Facing" in Initial Display options to be on by default.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: 1) please check via Edit > Preferences > Page Display, at "Initial Display" if the option for the "Default Page Layout" has not been set (by coincidence) to "Continuous - Facing" (like in the print screen below). If it should, then please change this to "Continuous" or whatever else, but NOT "Continuous - Facing".
I am really impressed by how you was able to find out that the two options are related. But, I want the initial page display to be "Continuous - Facing"; I have a wide screen for this exact reason.
It's weird though that if the initial display is set to any other option, then manually set to Continuous - Facing from the lower right corner icons the "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode" option is not activated by default.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: ..... if you would give the Editor a chance, to discover what it is all capable to do, you would even more appreciate it.
I did give it a chance; away from the huge installation file compared to the 17-MB PDF-XChange Viewer installation file, it is cluttered with unnecessary options that I don't, and won't, use. I am curious on what type of statistics have the developers decided to start their "line of functionality" by an "EDITOR" not a simple viewer.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Can you please give us feedback if this helps you out of trouble?
Kind regards.
Thanks for your detailed response, but, apparently, this link between the automatic activation of "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode" and setting the initial display to "Continuous - Facing" is a bug or at least, if intended, not useful at all.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi UNForces_885,
Thanks for your detailed response, but, apparently, this link between the automatic activation of "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode" and setting the initial display to "Continuous - Facing" is a bug or at least, if intended, not useful at all.
I will have a chat with the viewer/editor lead developer and see if that is a bug or intended.

Regards the move from the Viewer to the Editor, Willy is right, in order to stay in the market we must respond to market demand. Editing PDF documents is something that people wanted, the competition was starting to do it and we simply could not afford to ignore this fact. As Willy suggested, it was not practical to simply add editing capabilities to the Viewer. PDF documents are quite complex animals and the entire thing required refactoring.

Add to that the ribbon UI. This is actually something we had been resisting doing for the very reasons you cited, the existing UI was popular and change for change's sake is not always a good move, again however, the market demand was there. This is why we offer both the 'classic' UI and the ribbon.

Also as Willy points out, the UI is extremely customizable, and we are constantly working on improving it by listening to feedback like yours. Keep it coming, I think you will find Tracker Software more responsive to user feedback than many other companies.

At the end of the day, it is hard to please everyone, though we strive to do so, one man's gold is another man's garbage.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I have verified the behavior of PDF-XChange Editor V7 build 323.2

1) In PDF-XChange Editor, it seems like the "Two Pages Continuous, with Cover Page"-setting, via Edit > Preferences, is also linked with the setting "Show Cover Page in Two Page View", via View > Page Layout. In this case, it goes about exactly the same setting, so there is no problem that they are linked.

Instead, in PDF-XChange Viewer, it is "Continuous - Facing" that is linked with "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode" what is not quite the same.
Here, I think that this link should better be broken OR an additional option "Continuous - Facing, with Cover Page" should be add in the Preferences, and be linked with "Show Cover Page in Facing Mode".

2) If Tracker Software Development should decide to not make any modifications anymore to the Viewer, then UNForces_885 could still opt for using the Editor and de-activate all the licensed features in it, via Edit > Preferences > Registration, and check "Hide all licensed features from toolbars and menus". If there are still icons for features that are not being used, they can be removed via drag-and-drop while "Customize Toolbars" is activated (via a right click on whatever toolbar and a click on Customize Toolbars).

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the suggestions.
Indeed - the Editor has all the possible options available for pre-selection as default page layout:
page_layouts.png
page_layouts.png (17.96 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
And the Viewer has not had new features for over 3 years now, so it is unlikely we will make that particular change in it.

Regards,
Stefan