Problem with multiple documents

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PDF'r
User

Problem with multiple documents

Post by PDF'r »

I have am a registered user of PDF-Xchange Viewer. I just did an update, and the way the new version is handling multiple documents is unworkable for me. I would like to go back to the older version (but don't know the version number). Is it possible to get older versions?

The problem is that I want multiple documents to appear in the Windows taskbar, instead of in a tab bar withing Viewer (I need to maximize vertical document viewing space). With the older version, an additional instance of the program would run for each PDF. But in the current version, if on the General Preferences tab "single document" is selected, when an additional PDF is loaded from my file manager the already-loaded PDF gets closed. Alternatively, if I check the Multiple Documents box and uncheck Tabbed Documents, again a second document will load but this closes the first document.

The problem is that for the Multiple Documents choice, whether or not Tabbed Documents is selected makes no difference.

So in summary, two questions: (1) What is the latest version of Viewer that will allow multiple PDFs to appear in the Windows taskbar (e.g. running multiple instances of Viewer), and (2) is it possible to get a copy of that version?
PDF'r
User

Re: Problem with multiple documents

Post by PDF'r »

Something is wrong in at least two[*] versions of XChange Viewer Pro, with the setting for "Single Document" in Preferences>General>Documents Layout>. According to the on-line manual, for this setting: "Single Document. Each instance of the program may display only a single document. Multiple instances must be opened to display multiple documents."

With "single document" chosen, only one instance of the program will run, whereas the manual says there can be multiple instances (which is how the program ran for me until I got a new computer just now, and had to do a fresh install of the program).

I doubt that this is a system problem, but just in case: I am running Win7-Pro x64 on a Lenovo E560. 16 GB of memory, dual core. I can run multiple instances of some other programs.

[*] The two versions I tried are 2.5.317.1 (18 April 2016) and the current version. I don't know which version I had installed previously.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In PDF-XChange Viewer, via Edit > Preferences > General, you must activate/mark the check box "Allow Multiple Instances".

The most recent version is V2.5 build 322.7 and still offers the option you are looking for.

You can find all the available versions of PDF-XChange Viewer here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... nge-viewer

Regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Viewer - Preferences - General.png
PDF'r
User

Post by PDF'r »

Thanks! I wish Tracker would put the lower item up with the one at the top of that page. They are closely related, and should be together (or perhaps the lower setting could be provided in both locations).
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I am afraid that Tracker Software will not make modifications anymore to their PDF-XChange Viewer that has become obsolete since a while.

I suppose you know that PDF-XChange Viewer has been replaced by PDF-XChange Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor

In the Editor, you can also open a new window for each open document.
Even though, in Windows Task Manager, you will find only one instance of PDFXEdit.exe vs multiple instances of PDFXCview.exe

If you have a valid license for the Viewer Pro, then it should also be valid for the Editor.
If Tracker Software Support is reading with us, they can maybe confirm this?
Sorry if I should be wrong in my license interpretation.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Preferences - General.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

you are correct Willy, that if you have a Pro license it's key will work in the Editor whether it gets installed alone or as part of Pro or even Tools. The key here (pun fully intended) is maintenance - if your maintenance is not up to date you will need the last version released prior to your maintenance expiry else the Editor will revert to trial mode.

Users with a license will have a link to the latest installers valid for their key as a download button in their main page when logged into their account.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com