New here, new to program, a few thoughts...

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ooman
User

New here, new to program, a few thoughts...

Post by ooman »

Dear Trackers:

I’m not much of a geek, in fact I loath using the computer, so it’s not often that I find myself writing to a software company. However I do have a small business I run from my home, and it seems like more and more I’m using PDF files.

Regardless of whom I’m doing business with, if we need to exchange documents I ask them all to use emailed PDFs if possible. They’re a lot easier, cleaner, and manageable than faxes or hardcopy. More and more the companies I work with and others are embracing PDFs.

The problem I ran into was when I needed to fill or annotate a PDF document, I’d need to print it out, scribble in my data, rescan it as a PDF, and then email it back. Then a few years back someone told me about Foxit Reader. It’s a great PDF reader, much, much faster than Adobe Reader, plus it allowed me to type text onto the PDF, saving me the trouble of printing it, rescanning it, etc.

The Foxit Reader I used was the free version. Our business is very small, and I look for and use freeware whenever possible. Eventually Foxit started placing a watermark logo on all PDFs modified by their program, not good. Then I recently found your PDF_Xchange Viewer lite version and all I can say is WOW!

Your interface is both beautiful and intuitive. Everything is where it should be and works like it ought to work. It’s a great little program, and I’ve made it a point to tell all my associates and forums that I frequent about your gem.

I like the fact it’s free, but I certainly understand that you’re in this to make money, and I’d gladly pay for the program. But the questions are, how much would I pay, and what version would I get?

I’ve carefully examined all the various features your different versions offer, and the one feature that the free version doesn’t have, the one feature I’ll pay extra to use, is the ability to insert graphics. Specifically graphic tiffs or jpegs of my signature.

Now from the informal survey I’ve done, that seems to be the one feature that a few of my friends and associates would also like to have. Currently I insert text with Xchange, then save, open with PSElements, and save as PDF. Kind of a Rube Golbergesque kludgy process but it works, and saves me $50. Which brings me back to my first question, how much would I feel comfortable paying to get what I want?

Looking at your comparison chart, the standard is the first level that has graphic insert ability. But it also has a bunch of other features that I don’t see myself ever using. And from what I can gather, most of my associates likewise just want to open PDF forms, fill out a few fields, sign, and save. So the standard edition is overkill, and overpriced, for our usage pattern.

What would really be appealing would be a version just like your Lite version, but with the ability to swap out four or so of the rubberstamp images for four user defined images, such as personal signatures or a company logo. That would be more than adequate for a lot of users, both small businesses and home users. Kind of an “enhanced Lite version’ priced accordingly, say $19.99 or so. That’s a price point I could get behind.

I really like your product, I’d like to see you succeed. In fact, I’d like to see your take on another PDF product which I think is substandard, that being Paperport. More and more people seem to be going for the ‘paperless’ office, I know I am. Currently it looks like Paperport is the leader in that field. I’ve used it for years, and can’t stand it. I think a similar product with the elegant Tracker touch would blow ‘em out of the market. Heck, I’d even pay big money for that!

At any rate, love your program, please consider an “enhanced Lite’ version, and continued success!

Regards,

Ooman
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ooman,

The ability to add images to an existing page is coming in a 'PRO' version later this summer - along with many other features like Scan to PDF, merge files, extract pages, delete, re-arrange etc, will advise here when available.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
menes
User

Post by menes »

Hello,

Just a clarification: You mean a "pro" version of PDF-XChange Viewer or another program. Because if the "pro" offers the removal of the top left "Download PDF Creation Tools" among other features, I would gladly pay! (assuming of course that its price is reasonable).

Not that I complaint too much. I would also gladly pay for what your freeware version offers, if you get me.