No icons on desktop

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Karl19
User

No icons on desktop

Post by Karl19 »

Hello to you out there,
this is my first appearing here which means that this software so far has created no problems - I have used it for a number of years.
But now I have this rather small but strange problem - new laptop, same Windows version (latest), same Norton Security:
There are some PDF-files on my desktop. My previous laptop is still in use, a new one to be configured, that's where the problem occurs.
The PDF documents (the same as on the old laptop) appear now like white sheets, the small and so familiar (bottom right) does not appear. This is irritating and I would very much like to have the same familiar appearance on the new laptop.
I have checked the registry of both laptops they are identical, except Hash.
I have even deleted the file UserChoice in order to have it reestablished after reboot.
No change, still no icons.
Maybe someone could assist with a solution?
Thanking you in advance!
Kindest regards
Karl
...writing from Germany so please forgive language irregularities...
Attachments
PDF.JPG
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: No icons on desktop

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Karl,

Welcome to our forums.

I am sorry, but I am not quite sure that I understand what is missing from your icons. If it is the preview, please take a look at the following knowledge base article to find out how to re-register our shell extensions so Windows explorer can show the preview:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/395

If something else is missing, please show us how your icons are looking on both your old and your new computer and we will try to assist further.

Also, please make sure that the Editor/Viewer is properly installed and set as your default PDF application.

Regards,
Radi
Karl19
User

Post by Karl19 »

Hello Radi,
thank you for your immediate reply!
Attached please find two screen shots taken from the displays of the appliances which will hopefully answer your question.
I wish to add that the icons of all other programs are appearing in their particular form and color. Therefore I have not assumed a basic problem but something special about PDF-Viewer which was the reason to contact this forum.
Yes, it is absolutely certain that PDF-Viewer was installed properly (more than once) and that it is connected with PDF files. And this is working fine because if I click one of those white files it is immediately opened by PDF-Viewer.
I have even checked the connection (where the files are connected to certain programs - I do not know the English term). Anyway there .pdf is connected to PDF-Viewer.
After that I have checked the complete list (standard programs) and found no mistakes - and certainly not as far as PDF-Viewer is concerned.
I did not follow your advice (...knowledge base article to find out how to re-register our shell extensions so Windows explorer can show the preview) yet since I wanted to answer your post immediately.
We now have to leave - birthday of our son in law :wink:
Thank you again
Karl
Attachments
Lenovo1 old Laptop.JPG
Lenovo1 old Laptop.JPG (10.18 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Lenovo 2 new Laptop.JPG
Lenovo 2 new Laptop.JPG (9.79 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi Karl,

From what I observe on my machine, when I set Microsoft Edge as my default PDF handler - I see exactly the same result as on your new computer. Also, when I set the Viewer as my default handler from its menu - Windows reverts back the changes to MS Edge.

Please try to right click one of the PDF files, select Open with -> Choose another app, find the Viewer from the list and select it, enable the Always use this app to open .PDF files and click OK.
This should permanently (or until Windows decides to reset this option with an update) set the Viewer as your default PDF application and change the icon for all PDF files.

Please note that the Viewer is no longer developed. This product has been replaced by the PDF-XChange Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor

Regards,
Radi
Karl19
User

Post by Karl19 »

Hi Radi,
what you have suggested (right click any pdf file, open with..., permanently etc.) is a procedure I know well and I had done that before in other cases and of course in this case but to no avail. But thank you anyway and I did learn that there is a new version which I have installed immediately. Looks good but the problem remains unchanged. So I shall leave it as it is. And I know that the white sheet is a pdf file, no problem at all. And, maybe, some change, an update or so, will reverse this back to normal. And if not - it's all the same to me, at least now that we know we cannot change it anyway.
So let me just state that contacting this forum was quite a wonderful experience, somebody reacting immediately with great knowledge, friendly and easy to understand - just great, thank you very much indeed!
Kindest regards from Germany, Hanover area
Karl
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Karl,

Thank you for the kind words. You may also try clearing your thumbnails cache as described here: https://neosmart.net/wiki/clear-thumbna ... _Windows10

I would suggest method 2 listed in the above link.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Karl19
User

Post by Karl19 »

Hi,
I have tried this, no change.
Don't worry, no problem!
I have unsubscribed now.
Thank you for your assistance!
Kindest regards
Karl
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Karl,

Did you try the suggestions from Patrick's post above? Did those help or not?

Regards,
Stefan