Blue Document Background

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

IOStreamCTO
User

Blue Document Background

Post by IOStreamCTO »

When I scan documents to PDF and then open them in PDF-XChange Viewer, the document has a blue cast (e.g. a normal white document background appears as a pale blue). I can open the exact same document using Adobe's Acrobat Reader, Nuance's Paperport Professional v11, or NewSoft's PageManager (the program used to create the PDF via integration with Lexmark's X7350 Productivity Suite) and the PDF displays and prints perfectly. The pale blue background issue ONLY exists within PDF-XChange Viewer and persists through printing if printed from within PDF-XChange Viewer.

Does anyone have any ideas? Oh, and yes I tried:
  • Setting the 'Grayscale' option in the PDF-XChange Viewer dialog with the result being that the pale blue background printed as a light gray.
  • Setting my Xerox Phaser 8400DP to B&W mode with the same result as described in list item 01.
  • PDF's downloaded from other sources (e.g. software/hardware user guides, datasheets, etc.) display & print fine. The issue only seems to appear when documents are scanned to PDF and then opened in PDF-XChange Viewer.
Other than this minor issue, I would just like to thank the developers at Tracker Software for providing such an amazing product. When I stumbled across PDF-XChange Viewer on Google while searching for a PDF markup solution, I had no idea what a fantastic little application this would turn out to be!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Could you please zip and post an example - or better yet - please use the option in the Viewer under help 'Report a Problem' - as provided you allow it to, this provides us with extra system info that will assist us in narrowing down the issue - which could relate to something on your OS or system generally.

Also - please see the options available under the Edit Menu:

Preferences -> Colour Management.

You may well find that modifying these may assist in resolving this issue in your case.

thanks also for the kind comments - much appreciated ! :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
IOStreamCTO
User

Reply To TechSupport:Site Admin

Post by IOStreamCTO »

Thank you so much for your reply. Setting 'Color Management >Color Settings' to 'Color Management Off' did resolve the issue of the pale blue overlay on entire scanned documents or over any graphic in any PDF (including the PDF help files included with PDF-XChange Pro).

However, this does present an issue on which I would like your opinion. I use ColorVision's PrintFIX Pro Suite to calibrate color management between my workstation's monitor and Xerox Phaser 8400DP which I use for pre-press operations. I then assign this profile in my applications that support color management (e.g. Adobe CS3 Creative Suite) so as to get a true color representation both on-screen and in print.

So, my question is how to use Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Pro & Viewer products in a color managed environment without encountering the shaded overlay over all graphics as described in my original post? Again, this issue does not arise when applying my color management profiles in applications such as Nuance's PDF Converter (bundled with PaperPort Office Professional), FoxIt PDF Reader, or Adobe Reader.

To give you a frame of reference and to answer some of the specification questions referenced in your post:
  • Issue persisted with PDF-XChange Viewer installed on color managed and profiled Windows Vista, Windows XP SP2, and Windows Server 2003R2 systems.
  • Issue persisted with documents scanned to PDF using PDF-Tools (entire document displayed the light blue overlay) as well as documents printed to PDF with the PDF-XChange printer driver. Test prints were originated by printing topics from the PDF-XChange Help (CHM & PDF) that contained screenshots. In this case, the light blue overlay appeared ONLY over the document's graphics (screenshots).
  • Contrary to my original post, when I went back and opened PDF files that contained graphics (e.g. photos, screenshots or drawings), the light blue overlay did appear ONLY over the graphic elements.
I did not attach these test files to this message since turning color management to OFF does resolve the issue. However, in this state, PDF-XChange viewer is not representing the true colors of the target file either on-screen or in printed format. Again, I am only asking these questions due to what a great product lineup Tracker offers and my desire to integrate these products into a color managed environment. Hopefully, other Tracker Software customers who work in web, print or other fields where color management is critical will find our dialog helpful. Once more, thank you in advance for your time and attention to these issues.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Hi,

would be very helpful to have the sample PDF file and the color profile (ICC).

Thanks
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Hi,

Just to be clear - setting the option Color Management -> Color Settings to "Color Management Off" doesn't mean turning off color management entirely.

It simply means using the predefined color profiles (sRGB, U.S. Web Coated (SOAP) v2, and Gray Gamma 2.2).

The Viewer doesn't actually allow color management to be totally set 'off'.

HTH
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.