Integrate Mark Ups and Stamps.

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Chi Sin Wolf
User

Integrate Mark Ups and Stamps.

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

Greetings. I am a novice so bear with me!!!

Does anybody know if you can save a document in PDF format, with the Mark up's and Stamps as an integral part of the document.

What I mean, is that when you open a saved PDF in Adobe Reader and come to print, you have to set Adobe Reader print settings to include Stamps and Mark Ups, otherwise only the base document prints.

I Emailed a saved document with Stamps, but the recipient complained that when he printed it, the stamps do not show.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

The recipient will have to set the appropriate options in the print dialog of Acrobat, e.g. "Document & Stamps".
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

benpal wrote:The recipient will have to set the appropriate options in the print dialog of Acrobat, e.g. "Document & Stamps".
Thank you for your reply. Are you saying that this is the only way? I was trying to avoid the need to explain to recipients the complexities of this everytime I send an Email.
In addition, I will not know what PDF reader the recipient will use, but I know that most do use Acrobat reader.
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

I guess this is rather a feature/problem of Acrobat and has nothing to do with PDF XChange. It looks like Acrobat is using this technique so that you can print a document with or without the comments/stamps, which might be rather convenient.
Imagine you have a document with stamps and the reader wants to print the document in black/white ... the stamp would make parts of the content impossible to be read.
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

Understand your reasoning and agree that it a very good feature within Acrobat to turn the annotations on or off for printing. This is Ok if the average Acrobat reader user understands this, but it is my guess that most do not. I did not know of this Acrobat feature until I started to explore this printing problem.

I really like PDF XChange. Such a great program, but unless I solve this, I will never know if recipients will be printing what I intended them to print.

Right now, I found a long winded way: - I added annotations using PDF XChange, saved the file, opened in Acrobat reader, set print settings to include Stamps and Mark Ups, then printed to another PDF programme called PDF ReDirect.
It worked, but is a tedious way of doing it.

I did try printing direct from PDF XChange to PDF ReDirect, but even then the Mark ups were showing, but the Stamps were not!
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

Chi Sin Wolf wrote:I really like PDF XChange. Such a great program, but unless I solve this, I will never know if recipients will be printing what I intended them to print.
I know, I had the same problem.

But why do you think that PDF XChange should force Acrobat to adopt a specific behavior? Wouldn't that be up to Acrobat?
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

But why do you think that PDF XChange should force Acrobat to adopt a specific behavior? Wouldn't that be up to Acrobat?
I apologise if you misunderstood my meaning. I did not intend to reflect what you have interpreted.
Most people use Acrobat reader. I want to find a way of ensuring that the document I produce is able to be printed as is, with any PDF reader, without any chance of snippets of the document missing without realisation during the printing process.
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

I fully understand what you are saying, because I had the same problem the first time I received a marked-up document that I couldn't print correctly.

The only solution I see is to let the recipients know that they have to set the printing parameters accordingly.
As far as I understand, Acrobat uses a layered approach, i.e. content, comments and stamps are on different layers and the reader has to decide which layers to combine for printing.
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

Thanks for your help Benpal.

I guess this is the only way at this time unless anyone else can throw some light on this.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Benpal for explaining this.

One other point that should be made and is singuarly the number 1 reason we embarked on creating the PDF-XChange viewer - and that is Adobe products only allow you to mark-up documents created with Adobe certficated (approved) tools - so if you file was created by another - non certificated product - the file could not be marked up as required.

Somewhat restricting and negating the intentions of what was designed as an 'open' format.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

Thanks Guys.

Next question: - Can you lock the annotations so that if you send the PDF document to someone else, they can't edit?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Not in current version. Will be added later.
But, if this person whom you send this PDF will use PDF-XChange Viewer, will be easy to unlock it back ;-)
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Chi Sin Wolf
User

Post by Chi Sin Wolf »

Thanks for the prompt response.

I only found this program yesterday. It's already my default viewer and I will be recommending it to colleagues. Thumbs up from me!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Excellent - thanks Chi ! :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com