V1.0 Build 0018 Issues

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

CONURE
User

V1.0 Build 0018 Issues

Post by CONURE »

Hi,

I'm testing out PDF-XChange Viewer and have a few comments:

Under Print, the "options" button does nothing.

There should be an overwrite warning if you save over an existing file.

I added a Sticky Note and some text, saved the file and opened it in Adobe Reader V7.0.7. Adobe prints the Sticky Note icon, but not the text.

I added a Call-Out note and some text, saved the file and opened it in Adobe Reader V7.0.7. Adobe says its an invalid font and displays big dots instead of the text.

Thanks,

Tom
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: V1.0 Build 0018 Issues

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Hi Tom,
CONURE wrote:Under Print, the "options" button does nothing.
Yes, this "Options" button is reserved for features like Postscript, Color Management, etc. and will be used later. Maybe for now would be better to hide it.
CONURE wrote:There should be an overwrite warning if you save over an existing file.
If you use command "Save As..." or "Save Copy As.." there is warning. But "Save" command doesn't show it.
CONURE wrote:I added a Sticky Note and some text, saved the file and opened it in Adobe Reader V7.0.7. Adobe prints the Sticky Note icon, but not the text.
Sticky Note text will not be printed by Acrobat even it was created by Acrobat itself - note: text isn't markup within a PDF. ;)
CONURE wrote:I added a Call-Out note and some text, saved the file and opened it in Adobe Reader V7.0.7. Adobe says its an invalid font and displays big dots instead of the text.
Can you send us such sample file?.

Please zip any files attached to your reply

Thanks
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

Thanks for the responses! I still disagree with no overwrite dialog on Save!

Sample file attached with font problem.

Tom
Attachments
UNIT_HEATERS copy.zip
Fonts in Callout do not show in Adobe Reader V7.0.7
(288.29 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

For example, when you use, say, MS Word. You open document, make some modification, and press Ctlr+S (of, what is the same, use File -> Save command). Do you see any overwrite dialog or message. Can you say me any programm which shows such dialog?

About the font problem: thanks for the file, will take a look why this happens.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

Why must you be like MS?

I don't agree with them either.

General CADD Pro V5 gives a dialog!

Tom
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Can say nothing about "General CADD Pro", because into demo version Save function is disabled at all. By the way, which Save function of it shows dialog: Save Drawing or Save As... ?

CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

Any Save command brings up the dialog!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Can you post a screenshot?

I cannot imagine this strange behaviour, sorry.

Why would I want every time I save document to confirm this? Looks like UAC under Vista, where on each your step OS ask "are you sure?"

Very irritating.

CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

Another example is IrfanView, a free image viewer.
Attachments
save_as.zip
save as Screenshot
(140.58 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

ok understood, but how does this function "Save" differ from "Save As..". Looks like they have only "Save As...", but there is no simple "Save"

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Opinion here is divided as to whether a warning is a good thing or not before overwriting an existing file when using 'Save'.

So - as a compromise - in Build 20 we will allow you to set the desired behaviour (warning or no warning) when using 'Save' and the file name/location exists via the user preferences.

The warning will be set 'OFF' as a default behaviour.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

"Save as" lets the user change the file type, name or location.

"Save" just saves the file without allowing the other parameters to be changed. An overwrite option is just a measure of safety; an annoyance to some, a benefit to others.

Maybe put it in the options: confirm on save. (you beat me to it!!)
CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

Thanks!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Pleasure ;)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
CONURE
User

Post by CONURE »

Another approach to this save issue would be to confirm the save only the first time within a session and automatically overwrite all subsequent saves within that session.
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

Tracker Support wrote:Opinion here is divided as to whether a warning is a good thing or not before overwriting an existing file when using 'Save'.
For the sake of consistency, please no warning when using SAVE. I don't know of any Windows application which asks you to confirm when to save a file into itself.
If one doesn't want to save a file into itself, that's what the SAVE AS... function was invented for. PDF XChange Viewer even adds COPY to the name to prevent accidental overwriting.
benpal
User

Post by benpal »

CONURE wrote:Another approach to this save issue would be to confirm the save only the first time within a session and automatically overwrite all subsequent saves within that session.
Why do we need a special behavior just for this application when all other Windows applications don't ask for confirmation? User interfaces should be consistent in their behavior across all applications.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Whilst we agree with you Benpal and we do try and follow the established Windows conventions, so that behaviour is predictable - on this one we will not fight the issue.

But will add a simple option in the preferences to define whether a warning should appear or not. The default behaviour will be no warning.

Best regards
Tracker Support