PDF-XChange viewer - unable to change printer

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RomanC
User

PDF-XChange viewer - unable to change printer

Post by RomanC »

I've been using PDF-XChange viewer for some time, nice program. Several weeks ago I added a driver for a MFC I was testing. The testing is over, and the MFC is now offically a scanner. I went to print a page in PDF-XChange Viewer and the MFC came up as the printer. None of my other software has done this. Further, after selecting Print the print screen runs off the top of the screen, just above "Status ready Print to file". The box above that is just visible, and when seleted gives a dialog about the printer ...

Odd. I just checked the dialog box and it is my normal printer, not the MFC-scanner. Nothing was changed! It even printed, which was nice.

Advice on the following would be valued.
1 Why did the MFC come up and not my normal printer?
2 How is a printer selected in PDF-XChange?
3 Is it possible to have the print screen such that it does not run off the top of the screen?

Many thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange viewer - unable to change printer

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello RomanC,

Welcome to our forums.
The viewer is our older product - that was replaced by the PDF XChange Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product ... nge-editor
So I would recommend you to download, install and test that one as well.

1) 2) As for the issues you have experienced - the Viewer and Editor should by default show you the current default printer (as set in Windows) as the preselected one in that drop down menu, and you can then change it as necessary if you want. I suspect that the Viewer still showing an old default device was a glitch or a not properly updated settings entry that was corrected when you clicked the drop down.
3) This was a known issue on some smaller screens:
I have a problem with the Print Dialogue box being larger than my screen.
This behaviour is changed and should work better in the Editor.

Regards,
Stefan
RomanC
User

Post by RomanC »

Stefan, thanks. There's a handful of critical PDFs that I need to review, and then I'll download the new Editor. Apart from small quirks like the over-size print screen, PDF-XChange Viewer is one of the better products I have used.

The printer was and is the default. I made the MFC-scanner the default briefly while attempting the repair, and then made the printer the default. "Glitch" is a good word; strange things sometimes happen with computers. One of my main maxims is that computers have smoke inside, and if the smoke escapes it's very bad. Another is that USB cables should not melt.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Roman,

Let us know how the test with the Editor goes, but I suspect that you'll find it works correctly.

Also, just a note for the oversized print menu, that you mentioned, this was also fixed in the Editor, but take a look at this article as you may find it helpful:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... -my-screen

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com