Windows Explorer Preview Pane  SOLVED

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

janetb
User

Windows Explorer Preview Pane

Post by janetb »

Hi,

I lost my pdf previews in the Windows Explorer preview pane. Happened after installing new HDD and restoring system from backup. Icons have been inconsistent--sometimes gives PDFXchange icon, sometimes the image of the pdf file, sometimes neither.

PDF-XChange Viewer is my default pdf app.
I have Sagethumbs installed.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I uninstalled PDF-XChViewer and reinstalled the latest version to no avail.

How can I get my W.Expl. pdf previews back....? :cry:

PS I believe I got back my logo icons after reinstalling PDFXChange Viewer--in all/most places except for the Recent list for PDFXChangeViewer in my Start menu.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Windows Explorer Preview Pane

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello janetb,

Thank you for the post.

Please try to re-register the shell extensions and check if this solves the problem. You can find out how to do this in the following knowledge base article:
How do I Re-register The Shell Extensions

Regards,
Radi
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

Radi - Tracker Supp wrote:Hello janetb,

Thank you for the post.

Please try to re-register the shell extensions and check if this solves the problem. You can find out how to do this in the following knowledge base article:
How do I Re-register The Shell Extensions

Regards,
Radi
Hi Radi,
I was not notified of your post, so I only just saw it today.... I now checked "Notify me when a reply is posted".

I have both
D:\PDF\PDF-XChangeViewer\Shell Extensions\XCShInfo.dll and
D:\PDF\PDF-XChangeViewer\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll.
I followed your link, but being unfamiliar with commands, I did not know where to write
"cd C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\"
and then
"regsvr32 XCShInfo.dll"...... :(
Also, I was able to copy the two things I was instructed to type in, but they would not paste. Is that normal?

Thanks for your help!
Janet
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the post - that is perfectly normal, Microsoft did not implement the ability to copy/paste into the Windows Command Line with Ctrl + V until Windows 8 or 8.1 (not 100% sure which, offhand).

That KB needs a little tweaking to make it simply. Please do the following (I'm using Win 10, but instructions are the same):

1) Type CMD into the Windows Start Menu and right click the CMD/Command Prompt, then select "Run as administrator" - this is essential, otherwise it will not work:

2) Copy and paste the following strings into the Command Prompt using Right Click --> Paste:
regsvr32 "D:\PDF\PDF-XChangeViewer\Shell Extensions\XCShInfo.dll"
regsvr32 "D:\PDF\PDF-XChangeViewer\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll."
HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

I'm Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. This is what I get:

[Unable to upload screenshots. I choose the file. When I click Add the File, it says it is uploading, but then I get a red message "The extension x is not allowed." I tried tif, jpg and png. What extensions are permitted??]

Janet
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Janet,

Please add the picture to a .zip or .rar archive and upload it. Thanks.

Regards,
Radi
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
1.zip
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Attachments
2.zip
(33.47 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
2.zip
(33.47 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
cmd.zip
(56.15 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

I don't see a way to delete that last unsuccessful post.....

Am not able to get the zips to appear. Will turn off the computer for a while (maybe it needs a rest) and try again later.....
Attachments
1.zip
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
1.zip
(22.71 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Janet,

I can see your attachments just fine, and was able to download them successfully.

Regards,
Stefan
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Janet,

Please follow the steps in the knowledge base article strictly.
You need to type the commands in the command prompt in the order listed inside (please see my screenshot).

Also, please note that in order to be able to re-register our shell extensions successfully, you need to run your command prompt as an administrator (as shown in Will's screenshot).

Regards,
Radi
Attachments
Shell.zip
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

So do I delete the "C:\Users\Janet>" that my command window opens up with in order to make the window look like yours?
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Janet,

You cannot delete the "C:\Users\Janet>". This displays the current folder you are working in.
If you type the first command line (as on my screenshot) and hit enter, the folder should change to "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions>"
Then you should be able to execute the regsvr32 XCShInfo.dll command.

Alternatively you can just type/paste the whole command line as Will suggested in his post:
2) Copy and paste the following strings into the Command Prompt using Right Click --> Paste:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\XCShInfo.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll."
Regards,
Radi
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

Radi,

This was all a bit confusing because the text I was being given to type was all wrong for my system :? Then, after a lot of experimentation vis-a-vis where to leave or not leave spaces and where to put or not put quotes, I finally succeeded! :P This is the winning entry:
successful.zip
(32.39 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
I am curious about what was wrong with this earlier trial using the alternative route given in the Tracker Knowledgebase link:
What's wrong here.zip
(30.97 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Janet,

The text mentioned in the KB only references the default install location. If you change the default install location then you will need to make any necessary changes to the path in any command strings (we obviously cannot anticipate these). My instructions and the instructions in the KB article do exactly the same thing, mine were just not as long winded.

Regarding the picture that shows the non-functional string, this didn't work because you didn't include the quotation marks. Paths should always be encapsulated within quotations.

So is everything working correctly now?
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

1. Working correctly now.

2. Obviously the Knowledgebase is not based on my personal computer :wink: . My second post, however did supply the information
"I have both
I followed your link, but being unfamiliar with commands, I did not know where to write
"cd C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\" .

At that point, I did not realize that "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\" would also be wrong for me.

3. The other route didn't work even with the quotations:
with quotes.zip
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Janet,
1. Working correctly now.
Awesome, glad to hear it!
2. Obviously the Knowledgebase is not based on my personal computer :wink: . My second post, however did supply the information
"I have both
"cd C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\" .
That's right and that's why altered my example to use your path. Just a note: always make sure that you take paths supplied in any command string or installation instruction (whether it be from us or anyone else) as just an example that you may have to modify. If you're keeping default installation directories, that's obviously not the case. That'll be the same for any command string that you're asked to run (again, just something to be aware of :) )
I'm sorry, I don't know why I didn't think of it before given the topic non-standard install locations, but CD is a command to change directory, when switching to different drives you'll first need type the drive letter and a colon, then hit enter. For example, the following will change from the C: drive to the B: drive, then change directories within the B: drive:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Will> B:

cd "D:\Test Example"

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

Hi Janet, That's right and that's why altered my example to use your path.
I seem to be unable to find a post above where you use my path......

I'm sorry, I don't know why I didn't think of it before given the topic non-standard install locations, but CD is a command to change directory, when switching to different drives you'll first need type the drive letter and a colon, then hit enter. For example, the following will change from the C: drive to the B: drive, then change directories within the B: drive:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Will> B:

cd "D:\Test Example"
Yes, that is the sort of thing I needed to know. But I do get apprehensive about things like whether to leave a space. Your screen shot of the actual command box has "Will>B" whereas your text in the comment has "Will>[space]B".......
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Janet,
I seem to be unable to find a post above where you use my path......
Please see my post on Wed Jun 15, 2016.
Yes, that is the sort of thing I needed to know. But I do get apprehensive about things like whether to leave a space. Your screen shot of the actual command box has "Will>B" whereas your text in the comment has "Will>[space]B".......
It may be best to address any concerns you have with this as and when you need them, rather than confuse you further. If you're interested and if you'd like, there are a good many resources available online, for free, that demonstrate using the Windows Command Lien.

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Janet,

If you're interested and if you'd like, there are a good many resources available online, for free, that demonstrate using the Windows Command Lien.

HTH!
Any particular recommendations for beginners? Thanks for all your help!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

Many thanks---I will have a look.......

Janet
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)