Installation of latest Viewer update hangs on Windows 10

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bob Coleman
User

Installation of latest Viewer update hangs on Windows 10

Post by Bob Coleman »

Just FYI, installing Viewer Version 2.5 (Build 316.0) on Windows 10 hung at "Finishing installation" (several times). I cancelled it with Task Manager and as far as I can determine, the installation was complete.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Installation of latest Viewer update hangs on Windows 10

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the post - this happens when the option to View PDF's in Browsers and Set as Default are checked, in the installer. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to stop applications from setting themselves as default, in Windows 10, hence the hang. Please uncheck this options and it should work correctly.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

OK, but the Editor seemed to install correctly with those options checked. Well, I just think they were checked because I think I would have. I can't guarantee that they were this time. I'll try to remember to pay more attention during the next update.

(Thinking as I type) The Editor would have been the default before I started. Perhaps the default didn't get changed by the installation of the Viewer, so the Editor installation didn't actually have to change the default. Just a possibility. I don't know.

You say "Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to stop applications from setting themselves as default, in Windows 10". They are able to do that when run after installation though.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

I'm not personally familiar with Windows 10, as I don't use it, so I'm working with what the Dev. Team have told me and I'm not informed on the exact ins and outs of how it now works. I suspect that Windows may allow it when being set from within an installed application, but not when an installer is trying to set the default.

Also, I've just had another thought - it's possible that this is being caused just by View In Browser setting, as MS Edge doesn't support plugins and so the Viewer cannot set itself to view in browsers, hence the hang.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

I still don't understand why this is happening for the Viewer and not the Editor, but I don't think it's worth worrying about any more right now.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

OK thanks Bob - if we get more reports we will take another look ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

If I may chime in to clarify this point:
You say "Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to stop applications from setting themselves as default, in Windows 10". They are able to do that when run after installation though.
A user can set the default program in windows 10 through windows itself simply by right clicking the file type (in this case PDF) and choosing the "Open With" option. The issue was that programs cannot set themselves as default. This issue has been rectified as of build 316.
I still don't understand why this is happening for the Viewer and not the Editor, but I don't think it's worth worrying about any more right now.
These are two different programs, with entirely different code structure so it's not a very fair comparison.

I hope that helps clear things up!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America