Autosave functionality

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

elazeroms
User

Autosave functionality

Post by elazeroms »

Hello,

In the forum I read that in 2014 there were plans for an 'autosave' function. Is this already available? This or a 'crash' recovery option would be very usefull. I use PDFX-change viewer in a network environment and sometimes the network (not PDF X-change viewer) freezes and crashes.

Looking forward for your reply.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Autosave functionality

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello elazeroms,

Thanks for your post. Incremental save has been added to the Editor (replacement for the Viewer) but an autosave feature has yet to be implemented.

I hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi forum and support team,

I just had to realize that I lost about 5 hours worth of work in PDF-XChange Editor because of a computer crash. Therefore, I'd also very much like to see an autosave feature.

Because loosing (hard) work results can hurt a lot, in Word for example I have autosave set to three minutes, and every eleven minutes the Word autosave files are uploaded to the cloud in case something goes (terribly) wrong with the local hard drive.

Regards
David.P
--
Edit: just realized that the document was there, including all the work (phew). However, the scenario still could happen any day...
Until the autosave feature is implemented, I shall hit that save button as often as possible...
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

I am sorry to hear that you've lost so much work.

We plan to implement this feature in the future, but developing an autosave feature is not that easy as it sounds.
Our developers are working on, but we do not have an estimate for a release date yet.

Hitting Ctrl+S (or the save button) from time to time can save you a lot of time in future similar cases.

Regards,
Radi
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Radi,

looking forward to this feature!

BTW, I recovered my work (see my edit above), so no worries this time.

Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

Good to hear that you've managed to recover your work.

Thanks for your patience while we work on this feature.

Regards,
Radi