Can't use highlight or cross-out tools

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

wvbibi
User

Can't use highlight or cross-out tools

Post by wvbibi »

When I select either the cross-out or highlight tool, then select text to apply one of them to, nothing happens. I really can't think of anything I did to change the setup. I am using v2.5 build 315.0 on a Windows 7 PC.
Attachments
img157.pdf
This is a file I happened to scan; however it is happening in files of all sources.
(318.28 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Can't use highlight or cross-out tools

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi wvbibi,

Thanks for the post - this document does not contain any text, only images of text. A scanner is essentially a big camera that takes pictures of paper and sends them to your computer.

You will need to OCR the document via the Document --> OCR Pages feature. This will place an invisible layer of text over the document and this will allow you to select and highlight text, copy/paste, etc.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
wvbibi
User

Post by wvbibi »

I've never had to do anything with the OCR function. But strangely, this morning when I opened PDFxchange I am able to mark up any file (without the OCR function whatever that is). Believe me, the tools had been nonfunctional for about a week!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi wvbibi,

I'm glad to hear that you're now able to do as you need.

If you see this in the future, I would recommend trying to do the same thing in Adobe Reader and, if you're not, this will likely be because there is no text information.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com