Recent Incompatibility with AxCrypt

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bob Coleman
User

Recent Incompatibility with AxCrypt

Post by Bob Coleman »

I report this for any interest it may be. I don't know that the underlying problem is in the Viewer and would consider myself extremely fortunate if this issue would be resolved by Tracker Software.

Nevertheless:

I use a file encryption program AxCrypt (http://www.axantum.com/axcrypt/). When this program encrypts a file, it renames the file to have a different extension. For example, test.pdf would become test-pdf.axx. The interesting thing about this program is that when a .axx file is opened, AxCrypt decrypts a temporary copy of the file which then opens in the default application for the original file. So, if I open test-pdf.axx, I see test.pdf in the Viewer.

At some point, probably with the installation of build 313.1, but I'm not sure, I started seeing undesirable behavior. When I open an encrypted file, it opens as expected. However, when the Viewer is closed, I get a "Save As" dialog wanting to save the unencrypted name of the file. Clicking Save results in a loop (the Save As keeps coming back). Clicking Cancel gets rid of the dialog and the open PDF file with no obvious ill effects.

I don't have any reason to believe that this behavior is the fault of the Viewer, but it has almost certainly been introduced by some recent change to the Viewer. I've used the combination of the Viewer and AxCrypt for years without problems and AxCrypt hasn't changed since January 2014.

It's possibly worth noting that the combination of AxCrypt and the Editor continues to work without unexpected behavior.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Recent Incompatibility with AxCrypt

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the post.
It's possibly worth noting that the combination of AxCrypt and the Editor continues to work without unexpected behavior.
Unfortunately the Viewer has been effectively discontinued, and no changes will be made to it directly. Any bugs that are present in the Viewer as well as the Editor will likely only be fixed in the Editor. In your case, it seems that the Editor (which has replaced the Viewer) resolves your issue.

I am sorry if this was not the response you were hoping for, so please use the Editor moving forward.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

I suppose it's not the response I was hoping for, but I honestly didn't expect the issue to be fixed. It's not at all clear to me whether the underlying problem is the fault of the Viewer or AxCrypt.

(I actually use the Editor most of the time. The only thing that keeps me from switching 100% to the Editor is the absence of the same kind of Find Toolbar that the Viewer has).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bob,

You should have both the quick find (Ctrl-F) as well as the advanced search (Ctrl-Shift-F) in the Editor as you had them in the Viewer. Or is the behaviour of one or the other that you find different than what the Viewer had?

Regards,
Stefan
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Bob,

You should have both the quick find (Ctrl-F) as well as the advanced search (Ctrl-Shift-F) in the Editor as you had them in the Viewer. Or is the behaviour of one or the other that you find different than what the Viewer had?

Regards,
Stefan
I'm going to start a new thread in the Editor forum since this is off topic here (my fault).
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

I've seen your new post. Answering it now.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America