Features I'd like to use, if there

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

robert@richwood
User

Features I'd like to use, if there

Post by robert@richwood »

I'm new here and learning this program so please excuse the questions if sounding simple (or at least I hope they are).

I use this program as a Take-off for my bidding process.

Measuring works great and being able to rename the subject works, well (not great, more options would be wonderful and possibly a better side bar)..

A count feature is something I could really use!
Currently built some stamps, but this is not working out...

The biggest item is transferring all this collected data (comments) to Excel.
This would be marvelous!
I'm also new to marco's (built a few in Excel), but you'd have to walk me through this..
Really hoping for a 'one click' answer to this.

Thank you for reading
Hope to hear from... anyone... that can help me.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Features I'd like to use, if there

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the post, however, I'll need you to be more specific on a couple of the points:
Measuring works great and being able to rename the subject works, well (not great, more options would be wonderful and possibly a better side bar)..
I'm not really sure what you're looking for here - could you clarify?
What kind of a counter, specifically, are you looking for?
I'm also new to marco's (built a few in Excel), but you'd have to walk me through this..
What kind of macros do you need help with? Excel macros or macros for use in our Editor?
This would be marvelous!
This is something that we're looking into potentially adding. I'll add your voice to the existing request.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
robert@richwood
User

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Robert,

Thanks for the post, however, I'll need you to be more specific on a couple of the points:
I'm not really sure what you're looking for here - could you clarify?

Using the measuring tool, I can use the menu to change scale and custom subject what I'm measuring. Currently I only have 2 places for custom subject. Adding a feature to create additional would be great. I find I could use a dozen of these at least.
What kind of a counter, specifically, are you looking for?

Example is in counting cabinets in a elevation. Using a custom subject, it would be nice to name one 'Wall' Cabinets" and click on each and have a tally of how many.
What kind of macros do you need help with? Excel macros or macros for use in our Editor?

I'm assuming there's a way to do a count by using a 'macro'. Really don't know, for I'm very new to macro's. I've also read of a few folks transferring to data to Excel using them.
This would be marvelous!
This is something that we're looking into potentially adding. I'll add your voice to the existing request.

Cheers,
I do hope that clears it up a bit and Thank You for responding
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the clarification!
Using the measuring tool, I can use the menu to change scale and custom subject what I'm measuring. Currently I only have 2 places for custom subject. Adding a feature to create additional would be great. I find I could use a dozen of these at least.
Currently, the easiest way to edit the subject would be to open the Properties Pane by clicking the "Properties" button, shown here:
1.zip
(5.15 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
You can then click the measurement annotation and edit the subject label:
2.zip
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Example is in counting cabinets in a elevation. Using a custom subject, it would be nice to name one 'Wall' Cabinets" and click on each and have a tally of how many.
I'll pass along the request, though please note that I cannot guarantee implementation, only that the suggestion will be given serious consideration.
I'm assuming there's a way to do a count by using a 'macro'. Really don't know, for I'm very new to macro's. I've also read of a few folks transferring to data to Excel using them.
I'm still not sure that I'm 100% clear on this one. If you're thinking of using Excel style macros, I don't believe that this can be done, or if it's possible to implement. If you're referring to something more like VBA macros, then the best that you could do, would be to use these to use the Editor/Viewer via their respective command line options:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/EUM/de ... ne_options

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
robert@richwood
User

Thank you Will for your comments!

"You can then click the measurement annotation and edit the subject label:"
You state this much better than I, but this is what I'm doing.
To have more options there or a way of building more is what I'm after.

"I'll pass along the request, though please note that I cannot guarantee implementation, only that the suggestion will be given serious consideration"
This I appreciate!
You folks are so close to an inexpensive Take-Off program it hurts not to see it not 'go all the way'!
Or at least close enough..

I've sampled several high end Take-off programs and I'm using your program still.
The 'Bells & Whistles' they offer really don't mean as much when it comes to doing basic take-offs (having many of the same issues).
Slight customizing options to this program and a way to import to Excel???
You have a simplified 'Winner'!

You folks have a great program, You are so close to awesome!!!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Currently you can export measurements to CSV file and open it in Excel.
Just select any measure tool (distance, perimeter or area), press right mouse button and choose "Export Measurements to CSV File..." there.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
robert@richwood
User

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:Currently you can export measurements to CSV file and open it in Excel.
Just select any measure tool (distance, perimeter or area), press right mouse button and choose "Export Measurements to CSV File..." there.
I'm not seeing this???
Tried a few different ways...
Can you elaborate a bit?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello robert@richwood,

This could be because you are using an older build. Please make sure you are using the latest build. You can find them here:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
HTH
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
robert@richwood
User

I have gone through several (emphasize several) programs attempting to find what I want.

I'm back again pleading that you add these features.

First is the measuring tool:
You allow to measure a lineal one section at a time.
What I require is to stop and start (continue) at another point and continue to calculate the measurement.
Example: I measure baseboard in a room and wish to measure more in another.
The total is the combination of both (20ft in the first, 20ft in the second, total 40ft), not a 20ft and another 20ft as you currently are.
If I'm dealing with 30-150 rooms, this is one heck of a list.
You allow continuance, I have a single total of everything.
This applies to 'All' measurement features you have (stamps (which I have converted to count), lineal and area)

Next is integration to Excel:
All of the programs I have sampled have a 'Send Data' feature.
This is interesting and seems simple enough to implement (well, if you know code that is..)
This does require 'me' to set a cell focus in Excel, which I've done (and is not difficult to do).
I do a measurement, hit 'Send Data' and the total shows in the cell I set 'Focus' on.

These are important additions and will take you to the next level, into real take-off, not just Mark-up.
I am looking into codes to build my own, but you folks are already there (well very close).

Please take this seriously.
There are many of us out here looking for this simple a program.
I'm on several forums discussing this and it's not available... At least not in a simple basic form.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the post - I'll address each point in turn:
What I require is to stop and start (continue) at another point and continue to calculate the measurement....
I'll ask the Dev. Team if such a feature can be added, but I cannot make any guarantees. These features are normally governed by the ISO Specification and we adhere to that specification 100%, so if it prohibits this, we cannot add it.
This is interesting and seems simple enough to implement (well, if you know code that is..)
This does require 'me' to set a cell focus in Excel, which I've done (and is not difficult to do).
I do a measurement, hit 'Send Data' and the total shows in the cell I set 'Focus' on.
Currently, we have an Export to CSV file feature that should work as a workaround, but I suspect that implementation of this feature may not be as simple as it would seem. Again, I'll speak with the Dev. Team to see if we can do this and can justify it. Please bear in mind that you are the first to ask for these features and, should they require a lot of development time, we cannot justify their implementation for a single user, when we have many, many other highly requested features on the list.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
robert@richwood
User

I'm about to hire a programmer.
His question to me was:

"or has its own API library then there's no reason that Excel can't use VBA to "speak to" the application and pull data back"

So... Do you?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

I spoke with the Dev. Team, late yesterday evening, about the the two previous items, so I'll address those first:
What I require is to stop and start (continue) at another point and continue to calculate the measurement....
The Dev. Team has said that there is nothing prohibiting us from adding this feature and have said that we will do so for a future release. For now, I cannot say when this would be implemented, as it not as simple as it seems on the surface, but it is now planned.
The Dev. Team have asked for examples of other applications that are doing this, so that we can look into the feature further before we assess the viability of implementation. We've not been able to any examples of this feature in any editors/readers that we've tried, including Adobe Acrobat Pro.
I'm about to hire a programmer.
His question to me was:

"or has its own API library then there's no reason that Excel can't use VBA to "speak to" the application and pull data back"

So... Do you?
We do, but this isn't exposed via the end user application. You would need to use the Editor SDK:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf ... editor-sdk

I'm not a developer, so I can't say whether or not this would be possible with the SDK. I'd suggest posting a new topic, on the Editor SDK forums, and asking whether or not this is possible.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
robert@richwood
User

Currently, we have an Export to CSV file feature that should work as a workaround, but I suspect that implementation of this feature may not be as simple as it would seem. Again, I'll speak with the Dev. Team to see if we can do this and can justify it. Please bear in mind that you are the first to ask for these features and, should they require a lot of development time, we cannot justify their implementation for a single user, when we have many, many other highly requested features on the list.

May indeed be the first, but will not be the last.
You're program is less than $45 to purchase.
Add even this feature and it's worth so much more.
Include the measuring update I've requested..
Triple that number and it sells!

You folks are 'so' close to an awesome Take-Off program.

Side note: Please do not stop support for Viewer. I prefer Viewer over Editor.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

The issue is that this feature is likely to be relatively complex and lenghty to implement, so it's not a question of 'can we do it?' but rather 'can we justify' allocating the resources to implement a feature that has previously seen no demand, and that our competitors have not seen any demand for either. From what we can tell, Adobe, Nitro and Foxit do not offer any such feature.

Can you please provide an example of an application that offers this feature? It's not currently clear how this would work, nor can we currently justify the allocation of resources.

Unless examples are offered and/or there is a further demand for the feature, then we will have to decline the request, at this point in time.
Side note: Please do not stop support for Viewer. I prefer Viewer over Editor.
I'm afraid that this decision has already been made: the Editor was rebuilt from the ground-up, to allow us to address many issues that it was not possible to address in the Viewer. Also, it does not make sense for us to spend development time on a product that is ~16/17 years old and suffered several critial issues that, due to the implementation of the Viewer's underlying code, could not be fixed without a complete re-write.

If you would like to advise on why you prefer the Viewer to the Editor, then we will take your comments into consideration and will do what we can to accomodate them.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
robert@richwood
User

From what I have found there are two markets available.

The Little Guys; Which you are part of and are best.
The Big Boys; Too many to list, but PlanSwift being my current choice.

You are correct neither Adobe (I own Pro), Nitro or Foxit (which I do not like at all) do not have the feature.

Adobe is own a path of there own and there's no talking to them..
OST, won't even bother..
PlanSwift believes it's diluting their product to offer a 'Lite' version (at least they talk).

So this opens a market right between!
You at $50, them at $1500 plus.
That's quite the spread!

I have sampled 8 different products from the Big Boy's.
My team (5 estimators) have rejected all for very good reasons (like these folks!).
The consensus was, continuance of measurement foremost.

Add this to your program and it's worth to us is 3 to 5 times what you currently ask.
And you will be the 'Only' one in this market offering it!

I say again, Look seriously at this.
No one else has it!
robert@richwood
User

To the Editor question;

The interface of Viewer is cleaner.
Give me more adjustment and the simple features of Viewer and I'll switch over.
Till then, I'm on Viewer.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Robert, we'll take your comments into consideration :)
To the Editor question;

The interface of Viewer is cleaner.
Give me more adjustment and the simple features of Viewer and I'll switch over.
Till then, I'm on Viewer.
We are looking to implement the ability to further customize the UI in the Editor. I don't have the info. on when, for now, but it is planned and should allow you to set the UI as desired.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
robert@richwood
User

My latest is Bluebeam.
$200-300 value and has a 'summary' of measurement.

It also has costing's, which really doesn't work for the majority of us.
It's Interface is confusing and takes quite a bit of time to Master.

Basically, it totals all measurements within the group.
The total shows up in the (your comments) Subject listing as a separate header.

If that is easier to implement, then that works!

We're getting very close to 'Pulling the trigger' on a program.
You folks are so close to a Great program..
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

I'll put the request forward and we'll see what can be done, but please do be aware that BluBeam is quite different to us and is intended for a completely different audience: it is mostly intended to be used by contractors and architects, hence the high price range and measurement features (as well as others) that aren't found elsewhere and (quite often) don't adhere to the ISO specification.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
robert@richwood
User

You are correct in the 'Full-blown' versions.
Those are closer to the big-boys at a lesser cost.
But the Revu version aligns with you.

Yes it has a taste of the Higher priced to entice you to buy, if you can use it.

What I'm telling you is:
If I strike a good enough deal with them, I will buy it.
If only to get the single feature I'm pushing you to do.

"Some way to total all measurement".

Your interface is cleaner and easier to use.
It increases your value 3 to 5 times what it is now.

Now, 2 of my colleagues have bought BlueBeam and re-training their teams.
3 others are still on yours (from me suggesting it) and awaiting, in hopes, of you adding this.
Their on your 'free' version.
They will buy if added.
They will also pay what I will if there.

Please, find a way!
Before I invest elsewhere as well.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

As mentioned previously, I will pass this along but I still cannot make any guarantees.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)