make a pdf file inherit the position of a page in the viewer

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

tim126
User

make a pdf file inherit the position of a page in the viewer

Post by tim126 »

After I open a pdf file in the viewer, I adjust the position of a page in the viewer's window, using the horizontal and the vertical bars.
After I click the bookmark of another page, I jump to the other page, but the position of the other page changes back to the default position. I have to adjust its position again.

Is it possible to make the pages I will visit by clicking bookmarks inherit the position I adjusted to for an earlier page?

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: make a pdf file inherit the position of a page in the vi

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tim,

You would need to edit the properties of the bookmark to do this, as there are options for zoom level, position, etc. (see attached).
Screen-shot.zip
Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Tim,

You would need to edit the properties of the bookmark to do this, as there are options for zoom level, position, etc. (see attached).
Screen-shot.zip
Cheers,
Can it be done once for all the bookmarks?

Repeating the same thing with each of many bookmarks is daunting.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Tim,

Try the "Edit -> Preferences -> Page Display -> Forbid the change of..." option. It will not change the behaviour of the bookmarks and will keep the PDF intact, but will tell your instance of the Viewer to ignore those zoom level changes when you click bookmarks.

Regards,
Stefan
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Tim,

Try the "Edit -> Preferences -> Page Display -> Forbid the change of..." option. It will not change the behaviour of the bookmarks and will keep the PDF intact, but will tell your instance of the Viewer to ignore those zoom level changes when you click bookmarks.

Regards,
Stefan
Stefan,
it doesn't work.
I am not asking about inheriting zoom level which I changed to for an earlier page, but inherting the position of the page in the viewer's window which I changed to for an earlier page by moving the bottom horizontal scrolling bar and the right vertical scrolling bar.
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

Stefan and Will,
Do you understand what I asked?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Yes we understand - but the page position is set by the properties of the bookmark properties and not the preferences of your Viewer setup and this cannot be changed.

Therefore to change the default position your page is viewed and all relevant properties you must modify the bookmark properties and save them or the page position as you view will be lost as soon as you view another page and then revert back to your original page.

So to be clear the properties are set by the file and its content - not your Viewer setup or preferences - ever.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:Yes we understand - but the page position is set by the properties of the bookmark properties and not the preferences of your Viewer setup and this cannot be changed.

Therefore to change the default position your page is viewed and all relevant properties you must modify the bookmark properties and save them or the page position as you view will be lost as soon as you view another page and then revert back to your original page.

So to be clear the properties are set by the file and its content - not your Viewer setup or preferences - ever.
See my reply to Will.
My question is rather how to do the change of positions one time for all the pages, instead of one page at a time?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

No way to automate that - as these values are stored separately for each bookmark, and there's no way to mass manipulate bookmarks.

Regards,
Stefan
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

No way to automate that - as these values are stored separately for each bookmark, and there's no way to mass manipulate bookmarks.

Regards,
Stefan
Is it possible to write a shell script to do that?
Does viewer or editor have command and options for running in shell e.g. bash?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

It might be possible to go through all bookmarks, and change their actions using JS, but we will not be able to provide samples code or further advise on this other than pointing you to the JS API reference.

Best,
Stefan
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

It might be possible to go through all bookmarks, and change their actions using JS, but we will not be able to provide samples code or further advise on this other than pointing you to the JS API reference.

Best,
Stefan
Thanks. Stefan.

Do you mean that the viewer or editor support using js to modify default positions of pages?
If yes, in the same way as adobe does?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tim,
Do you mean that the viewer or editor support using js to modify default positions of pages?
I'm not sure that I understand. Are you asking about the position a bookmark will take you to? If so then I believe that this should be the case.

Just to make things 100% clear, this is not something to do with the default zoom level or page position set within the Document Properties or View settings, in your case these are the properties of bookmarks that need to be edited. Only then will you see what you are looking for.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
tim126
User

Post by tim126 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Tim,
I'm not sure that I understand. Are you asking about the position a bookmark will take you to? If so then I believe that this should be the case.

Just to make things 100% clear, this is not something to do with the default zoom level or page position set within the Document Properties or View settings, in your case these are the properties of bookmarks that need to be edited. Only then will you see what you are looking for.
I meant if the default position of each page can be modified by running some javascript program in the viewer or editor, since stefan pointed me to that feature in adobe product.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tim,

you might have quite a challenge there. I asked my lead developer and he couldn't think of a simple way to do this. You could spend a great deal of time looking through that JavaScript API and possibly find a way, we just don't have anything with which to help you.

I guess I'm saying we can't help, good luck and let us know if you manage to achieve this?

:|
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America