Version information for Viewer build 2.5.309.0

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Spiff
User

Version information for Viewer build 2.5.309.0

Post by Spiff »

Dear Tracker Support,

A little while ago, the Viewer had an update to build 2.5.309.0.
It would be good to know what was changed with that new build.
However, on the Version History page for the Viewer the most recent information is still that for the 2.5.308.2 release.
I'm not complaining, I'm just noticing. :wink:
Can you tell me, please, when will the version information for 2.5.309.0 be available on the Version History page?

Of course I know the Editor is now the main focus of development for viewing and editing and the Viewer is no longer actively developed. But when there is an new build for the Viewer, it would be good to know what was changed with that new build, of course.

Thank you very much
and best regards,

Spiff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Version information for Viewer build 2.5.309.0

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Sorry - but changes to the Viewer SDK are for the most part not related to End user functionality but SDK functions for developers and any maintenance is generally 'under the hood'

As you rightly say our main focus is on the End user/developer SDK products undergoing continuing development and therefore we do not have the resources to maintain update info - unless of a critical nature.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Spiff
User

Post by Spiff »

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You said, "we do not have the resources to maintain update info".
That is up to Tracker Software to decide, of course, I can't decide what Tracker Software should do.

But the Version History issue has been discussed before.
In that earlier discussion, November 26, 2013, Will reported, "Having spoken to colleagues on this, they've told me that Version history should continue to be updated, which obviously makes sense."

I do not intend to start a new discussion.
I think the points made in that earlier discussion are still valid, and I can't imagine why things would be different now and why Version History should not be updated.
But as I said, that is up to Tracker Software to decide.

Thank you very much
and best regards,

Spiff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, and in the event that there is a critical issue that's resolved or similar - we will in that instance update the information - but otherwise we will not, I don't believe that is what is at odds to what was previously posted ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
lmacri
User

Post by lmacri »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:As you rightly say our main focus is on the End user/developer SDK products undergoing continuing development and therefore we do not have the resources to maintain update info - unless of a critical nature.
I have to agree with Spiff. PDF-XChange Viewer v. 2.x has not reached it official EOL and is still being used by many users who do not require the direct content editing of PDF-XChange Editor. How difficult would it be to post a short comment in the change log at https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXV_history.html so that users aren't wasting their time checking the change log every 2 or 3 days after an update is delivered or wondering if an issue they are currently experiencing might be related to the Build 309.0 patch? If resources are that tight at Tracker it makes me wonder how you can provide adequate support for newer products like the Editor.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Regarding your comments;

"If resources are that tight at Tracker it makes me wonder how you can provide adequate support for newer products like the Editor"

Resources are not 'tight' - but they are prioritized hence the reason we can support those products currently under active development.

Best regards
Tracker Support