Plugin crashing in Firefox

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Oxa
User

Plugin crashing in Firefox

Post by Oxa »

Since at least FF 24.0, if not earlier, the PDF-XChange Viewer plugin has been crashing in Firefox. When it crashes, an icon appears asking whether to reload the page, and then it works on the second try. The problem seems to happen more with larger pdf files. Today I found that I am unable to download a pdf from the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/details/recordinterpret00mart) because the plugin repeatedly crashes. PDF-XChange Viewer is identified as my default application in Firefox (and about:config shows pdfjs.disabled;true). I can't tell whether the problem lies with FF or PDF-XChange Viewer. Does anyone have any insight on this problem?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Plugin crashing in Firefox

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Oxa,

Thanks for the email - could you please go to Help --> About and advise on the build of the Viewer that you're using?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Oxa
User

Post by Oxa »

Currently, version 2.5 (Build 214.2), but this happened with an earlier version (don't remember the version or build number), as well.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Oxa,

Thanks for the info. - I'm not seeing the same thing here, using build 308.1 and Version 30 of Firefox. I would recommend updating the Viewer (see KB below for instructions) and, failing that, also try updating Firefox:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... rade-Guide

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Oxa
User

Post by Oxa »

Sigh ... When you don't know the answer just tell them to update or reinstall...

As I said, this problem has existed over several versions of both Firefox and PDF-XChange Viewer; past updates to both programs haven't made a dent in the problem. There is no reason to assume that further updates will either, so I won't waste any more of your time.
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi Oxa,

It seems that you have some old version of npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll (Firefox plugin) that may conflict with latest build of viewer. So please try to uninstall PDF-XChange Viewer, find any copies of npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll on your PC and delete them, also check PDF-XChange Viewer directory - it should be empty (or doesn't exist). After that reinstall Viewer.

HTH.
Oxa
User

Post by Oxa »

Been there. Done that. No joy. Current plugin is dated 6/3/2014.

Guess again.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Oxa,

We ask users to update because it could be that the issue was resolved in a later release, whether it was something specifically addressed, or fixed by proxy. We cannot provide fixes/support for older versions and builds.

Can you please confirm that you are seeing this with both the current build and version of the Editor and the current stable release of Firefox?

If you are, then please provide all of the following information:

1) What actions are taken when Firefox crashes? Is it anything specific, or different every time?

2) Please send a link to a PDF that you see this with, regardless of whether or not it may appear to be unrelated to any specific file(s).

3) Does this happen with any other PDF Reader plugin? i.e. Viewer, Acrobat

4) Is a remote session something that you would be open to doing? Given that we cannot reproduce this here, it may be better for us to have a look directly at what is happening, on your system. If a remote session is something that you're willing to do, please see this KB article and email support@pdf-xchange.com with the signed indemnity form. We will then arrange a time to proceed with the session:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... e-an-issue

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Oxa
User

Post by Oxa »

- Firefox 28.0 but the problem has occurred back to at least 24.0, probably as far back as 20.0. I will not be updating to any godawful Australis version of FF.
- I recently move to Pale Moon. (24.6.1) The problem occurs in both Pale Moon and FF.
- PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5 build 308.1, but the problem has existed over several updates

As I already explained, Firefox doesn't crash; the PDF-XChange plugin crashes. It seems to be related to the size of the file. Single-page files often load. Longer ones don't. An example file was already provided above. When the plugin crashes, it generates an error message stating that the file didn't load, with an icon to click to try again. A second try at loading the pdf file, by clicking on the icon, usually works. (An exception was the link provided above.)

I have no other pdf readers/plugins installed on my computer, so I can't test the issue with other software.
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi Oxa,

I was unable to reproduce such problem on any test configurations with different versions of Firefox. Btw can you open this PDFs (that crashes FF plugin) in standalone Viewer?