How do I specify Duplex from the command line?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

spudman
User

How do I specify Duplex from the command line?

Post by spudman »

2.5 213 build I have some PDFs that I want to print duplexed and some not and I want to be able to change the setting at execution time through a parameter, but I cannot seem to find one. I realize this is a printer setting and was hoping for some way to pass it to the printer using /print command line option.

Same problem for rotating a page into landscape (can't find command line way to do that). Is this a printer thing or something that the viewer should be/could be doing?

Is there such?

Thanks, Bob roos
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How do I specify Duplex from the command line?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bob,

The command line printing of the Viewer/Editor is limited on purpose, and will generally use the default printing options inside the Viewer/Editor, and also not change the default settings of the printer itself. This is so because this command line is not intended for automation of the printing process.
A possible solution is to install different "printers" (copies of the printing drivers for the same device with different names) with different settings and print to each one accordingly. If you have the paper set to portrait on one and landscape on another, and "Auto Rotate Pages" in the Viewer/Editor set up - all should be well.
The same applies for duplex set up in one "printer" and not in the other.

Regards,
Stefan
spudman
User

Post by spudman »

Of course that can lead to a bunch of printers - Portrait/Landscape/Duplex/Simplex is 4 printers to get the combinations.

Tell me more please about limiting the command line. I thought the whole idea of a program having command line parameters was to automate a process.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bob,

I can see your point, but that is what we can offer at the moment. The command line printing is limited so you will need the different printers and profiles I am afraid.

Regards,
Stefan
spudman
User

Post by spudman »

It appears to be not so easy to duplicate a printer in Win 8. Copy is not an option and Add Printer says no printers found.
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a simple way to duplicate printers in Windows 8 that I can find, and when I installed a second printer copy manually, Windows 8 "merged" it so that I only had one copy. It appears Windows 8 is trying to protect against "clutter" and I'm not certain where you might be able to override this behaviour.

As for command line, I don't believe we have any reasonable way to implement this kind of functionality to control manufacturer-specific printer profiles, since there are thousands of different printers which may or may not support different printing feature sets.
spudman
User

Post by spudman »

The programming system I use (WinDev) lists a bunch of parameters for various printer functions (duplex for example has 3 Simplex,Horizontal and Vertical,Orientation and PaperSize and NbCopies.....) I believe that the printer drivers must support a standard way of specifying common functions otherwise how could they handle the various printers. Here is their list: http://doc.pcsoft.fr/en-US/?3046008&product=WD