Quickest & simplest way to create hundreds of hyperlinks

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gopher_everett
User

Quickest & simplest way to create hundreds of hyperlinks

Post by gopher_everett »

Hello,

When creating a new hyperlink in PDF-XChange Viewer, is it possible to define the name of a previously-established bookmark as the destination rather than having to thumb through lots of pages to arrive at that specific location in the document?

For example, I currently have two PDF documents, each with over 1200 pages and I want to create a third single-page PDF as sort of a Table-of-Contents (TOC) or Index. My intent is to include hyperlinks to each of the almost 1000 various section and chapter headings throughout the two large files.

For the TOC, I have created a 3-column Word doc in which each column has the following appearance:
SEC_A........1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
41 42 43 44 45 46 47

SEC_B........1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32

SEC_C........1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14

etc.
Each number is intended to be hyperlinked to its corresponding chapter in the displayed sections. Currently, none of the chapters are bookmarked or have any specific distinction.

So far, the only method I have discovered for creating hyperlinks is to use the Links Properties box which requires one to:

1) select a number in the TOC
2) open the Links Properties box
3) specify the destination file
4) enter the page number.

The last step is the problem since it requires a significant amount of time to go through the document to reach the desired page. Therefore, I'm wondering if it might not be more time-efficient to first go through the documents only once and create bookmarks at all of the chapter headings. Then, if it's possible, simply attach each hyperlink to it's corresponding bookmark and bypass the thumbing-through-the-document step. But obviously, the big question is whether or not it is possible.

I guess the main thing I'm asking is:

What is the simplest/quickest way to convert each TOC number so that it links to its corresponding chapter?

Thanks

PS I am currently using PDF-XChange Viewer but I am not opposed to purchasing a for-pay version if it provides functionality to more easily complete this project.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Quickest & simplest way to create hundreds of hyperlinks

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi gopher_everett,

Were each of the 1200page PDF files created from Word Docs.? If so, and you have access to these Docs. then you could use the add-in/Office2PDF to automatically generate a table of contents, based on certain parameters.

Other than that, I'm afraid that I don't really have anything else that I can suggest.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com