Feature request: Printer location

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fghj
User

Feature request: Printer location

Post by fghj »

Hello,

PDF-Xchange Viewer is working great, however we are having one issue with it:
We have multiple printers at different locations, all shared via Windows printer sharing and installed on the client computers. The location of each printer is mentioned in the "location" field of the printer. When printing from other applications like Notepad or Microsoft Office, this location field is visible in the print window and users can pick a certain printer depending on where they want their document to come out. Example: http://666kb.com/i/chzbnoi3hrhe92sow.png

However in the print window of PDF-Xchange Viewer I cannot find the "location" field anywhere (the "description" field is missing too). Could you add this to PDF-Xchange Viewer?
Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Printer location

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello fghj,

Now that you've brought my attention to this - I noticed the Location field in device preferences, but I must say that you are the very first person to request this field to be shown. I noticed it in Notepad, but in e.g. Word you have to hover over a small icon circle to have a pop-up show that will display the location. Wouldn't naming the printers accordingly do the trick?
e.g. Brother_Location1, Brother_Location2, HP_Location3 etc?

Regards,
Stefan
fghj
User

Post by fghj »

Hi!

Adding the location of the printers to their name may be difficult, because Windows references the printers by name. So everytime when you move a printer somewhere else, you have to change the name, uninstall the printer with the old name, reinstall it with the new name and maybe reconfigure custom settings. Besides Windows provides already a special field for storing the location: the location field!

By the way, in Microsoft Office it is enough to hover anywhere over the printer, you don't have to hit a small icon.

It would be awesome if PDF-Xchange Viewer could add the location field to the print window, because it is the only application from which we print often and which is missing this information. Thanks!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi fghj,

we can add this to the Editor but it's not likely to be done in the Viewer. I have raised a Feature Request Support Ticket (internal only), please refer to RT#2019: Feature request: Printer location when inquiring about the progress of this.

We expect, all things being equal, to have this done in the next build of the Editor.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com